Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever heard of......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasonic, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Jasonic

Jasonic

The Star Car Company?

They were made by William C. Durant in the 1920's after his stint with General Motors.

Just trying to find some info on these.

2. Star Cars

Durant Motors, Inc. New York, NY

First built in 1922 and shit the bed in 1927
    The '28 version went under the flag of Durant-Star then went to Durant 4.

What else would you like to know?

JOE:cool:

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Yes there was an ill fated merger with the Moon car company, if it would have come to fruition they would've been called The Moon and Star Car Company.

4. Jasonic

Jasonic

Thanks for the info guys.

Nads - were they slated to go into production in Mecca?

5. Plowboy

Plowboy

A buddy of mine has several Stars. A few of them are nice originals and one rogh one that is going to be made into a hot rod after he finishes his model A. His grandpa had all of them for years. He is kind of waiting for granddad to die first because he doesn't want to be responsible for killing him by turning one of his Star's into a hot rod. Ha Ha Ha

6. Maybe he should get the old man to help... he might live longer. :rolleyes:

7. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

My Grand Fathers first car was a Star, I 'm not sure what year it was. My Mom still has the Log book which he had for the car. He started the log the day he ordered it.

He had a good sense of humor too. It was named "Twinkle". "Twinkle twinkle little star."

8. Plowboy

Plowboy

His grandpa left him the shop and everything. He just stops in every now and again to see what he is up to. I guess he figures he had his run so now it is his grandson's turn. He has a super nice model A roadster that he was putting all back stock too. There will be different plans for that as well. He also has a couple of stocker Model A's that are pretty nice that will remain untouched, but all of the project cars will eventually be hot rods.

How about an all aluminum Cadillac from the twenties or early 30's.
    That would be right up your alley Joe, since you ave a TIG and all.;)

9. Fidget

Fidget

There was one at the car show I was at last weekend. I took pics, but haven't had them developed yet. I think his was a 1927 Star. Little 2 seater with a straight 4, two side draft carbs, exhaust running down the side next to the drivers door, complete belly pan. Cool looking ride! Yes, he won in his catagory. I'll post pics when I finish off the roll of film.

10. Now, you're just teasin'... :p

11. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Interesting cars. pigpen

[​IMG]

12. B-dm-bm-splash!

13. eberhama

eberhama

This "pile of stuff" is a '25 Durant-Star Phaeton. Wish it had the grill, would make a cool tub.

[​IMG]

14. Vintage Truck Magazine had a multi page feature on the Star Car co. a few months back. They also featured a nice truck this guy had and he was the original owner if I recall. The story on the company got into the relationship with GM and it's forgotten (mostly) history. Interesting reading. I'm sure back issues are still available if anyone is interested.

15. TINGLER

TINGLER

My great grandfather owned one. It was his first car I think. He "courted" my great grandmother in it. My grandmother tells me stories about how she played in it when she was little.

....wish I could afford to buy one, she'd get a kick out of it.

16. 55ford

55ford
    from henderson

Thatd be a great book.

17. My mom's mom had a 27 Durant. When the stock market crashed they put it up on blocks and used their 26 Essex. The Essex died in 32 according to family legend and they took the Durant off the blocks and drove it until they traded it in on a new 36 Buick. I've got pictures of all of these cars somewhere in the giant collection of B and W photos.

It's a good thing that Billy Durant put his last name on the car and not his middle name.

Who would buy a Crapo?