Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone ever built a "long bed" model A PU?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wild Turkey, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Been away a while, life got in the way. Now have new house finished, new shop too full and time to get a project going.
    I (think I ) want a model A PU but to me the stock bed looks too short and the rear wheels are too far forward. I'd like to build a longer bed and center the wheels on the bed but I'd long to see some examples if any has some pix.
    I've got Photoshop and am trying to see what one would look like but I'm not good enough to do it easily.
    Hope someone has something to look at.

Deuces likes this.
  2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Go to the photoshop thread, those guys will work one up for ya!

Deuces likes this.
  3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

They made a AA pickup with a longer bed.

Deuces, spudshaft and AVater like this.
  4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Search for AA Express bed trucks.

Deuces likes this.

5. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

The Waltons

Rickybop and Flathead Dave like this.
  6. Damn @themoose, you are a master at this!

210superair, Deuces and themoose like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

loudbang, VANDENPLAS, jaw22w and 2 others like this.
  8. Thank You!!!

loudbang, VANDENPLAS and Deuces like this.
  9. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah. I like the long bed version better than the short bed version.

210superair and loudbang like this.
  10. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Wow, great work Moose! Definitely like the long bed way better than the short bed!

themoose likes this.
  11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Look for a 1933 or 1934 bed and it will be like a late 31 wide bed but longer .. I don’t think I have seen a AA express bed 43A80834-5C7B-4506-A599-69ABF5E54E76.jpeg

Cooon and 210superair like this.
  12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I do too.... Much better.

13. 89-A-Express-29-01-31-640x306.jpg
    This '29 AA Express is what I'm hoping to replicate with my AA. The bed is not quite 8 feet long and around 4 feet wide. The express bed, long running boards and rear fenders are rare enough that restorers aren't likely to give them up to us hotrodders. I'm using the dually wheels, brakes, rear axle and front spindles from a '60 F-350 and will fabricate a bed.
    89-A-Express-29-01-31-640x306.jpg
    29 AA June 11  2016.jpg 89-A-Express-29-01-31-640x306.jpg

continentaljohn likes this.
  14. Build a 32.Longer wheel base,longer bed.

15. jnaki

jnaki

Nice work @themoose
    upload_2021-11-14_7-57-14.png

Hello,

Great look for added space in the truck bed. But, a new frame worth the customization? The @themoose look is pretty great. Now, if the cab could be extended a few inches for taller, bigger folks to have some comfort while driving, that would be great.

There was a red RPU on the HAMB that had an extended cab area and that was very nicely done. The normal length bed is good for just about 90 % of daily chores. An extended bed, while it looks great, makes a lot more custom work underneath to make everything fit and work correctly.

Jnaki

So, if a longer bed is what is necessary, how about adding in a few inches for us taller, bigger guys/girls?
    upload_2021-11-14_8-0-34.png
    A better proportioned look and not a squeezed in look.

Computers do wonderful things, but it is the extra work to get the real underpinnings correct and to make sure they work well. Or at least have air shocks or extra support. YRMV
    upload_2021-11-14_10-29-41.png

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    gnichols and continentaljohn like this.
  16. 1ton

1ton

Wild Turkey must be reading my mind. I have a late 31 widebed truck that I'm finally starting on. I have always thought that the axle position is way to far forward in the bed. I recently brought the bed into the garage and I'm thinking about reversing the bed by moving the front panel to the tailgate end. And, of course putting the tailgate where the front panel is. The bed pockets are different from front to back so they will have to be repositioned as well. It looks like I can accomplish this by drilling out all the rivets and relocating the bits without permanently altering any original sheet metal. Plan is to leave the bedsides the original length.
    TheMooses pictures actually just convinced me that I am making the right move here. That truck looks awesome.

17. 1ton

1ton

JVO did this door stretch[​IMG]

jnaki likes this.
  18. 1ton

1ton

JVO added 4" to the doors while leaving the cab the stock height. It gives the illusion of a top chop. Nice, clean and subtle. We talked about this, and how he did it. His suggestion to me was to lengthen the doors at the belt line and making new, 4" longer door skins, from scratch. Doing this and moving the rear fenders closer to the back of the bed is going to be a lot of work. But well worth it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    spanners likes this.
  19. Not only a better look, but the added wheelbase will help the ride. Win/Win!