Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone else tired of low balling tire kickers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's why I posted the link in my first reply. I think it was #6.

And decent pics, it says interior redone, but the pic in the ad shows mexican blankets....

2. 39LOW

39LOW
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MESA,AZ

The "low balling tire kickers" aren't pleasant to deal with but as just about everyone pointed out, they are manageable using colorful language. An even more irritating problem for me lately, has been advertising stuff here on the hamb and having a hamber messege me saying "i'll take it". Even exchanging addresses and phone numbers , and then totally backing out on the deal. Has anyone else had this happen? Seems to be happening more and more lately.

3. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

what do you think is a fair price?

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

ahhhh, now we are fishing

5. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

By that logic, you and others are fishing as well. By telling the guy he's priced too high but then not offering up what you think the car is worth your setting him up to under cut himself more than necessary. :cool:

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I did not make a offer ... because scrap is running about 15 dollars a hundred. That is 150 dollars a thousand. Cadillac is HEAVY ;) If it weighs 5 thousand pounds then it is worth ... the scrap man would pay $750.

To part it out ... sure, in time you could get more that $750.

I am not in the market for a Cadillac project :eek:
    IF I were in the market for a Caddy, I would want a 49 coupe ... not a 55 MorDor.

But ... there is a BUTT for that seat ...
    Someone found HIM :cool:

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The car looks to be a 4/5 condition car. Current Old Cars Report Price Guide values for a '55 Series 62 4 dr sedan are $4,800 for a #4 and $2,880 for a #5. Needing carb work and a torque converter push it more towards a #5.

The headlight brow treatment, grille treatment and side scoops will appeal to a very narrow segment of the hobby. More conventional looks would appeal to a wider spectrum of potential buyers.

If you're willing to wait, the right buyer will come along and you'll both be happy. If you're wanting to sell quickly, lower the price.

Lowballers are part of the hobby, and I can't remember how many times a lowballer (almost always with no money at all) has offered me far less than I'm asking for cars or parts. I just smile and say, "Sorry, I can't go that low! I'm losing money on it already!"

8. The ones I really hate are the ones that want to lowball you over the phone or even worse in a email, and havent even looked at what you are selling. And those clowns on feebay that offer $10 for something you have listed for $25 and then want you to ship it for free. When I get asked to eat the shipping on feebay stuff, I just tell them to come by the shop and pick it up---save the shipping costs LOL.

9. Truer words were never spoken:)

10. You almost have to ask more than you will take, because if you wont come off the asking price, most people wont buy even if the item is half what it is worth. And I hate those who wont offer----just want me to keep lowering the price. And worse of all those pricks who say "I will give xxx dollars" and when you say pay me, they have to go ask their wife, see if their momma will loan them the money, and go think about it. When I say I will give, and you say give, I PAY YA!!!

11. True story. Had a guy make me an offer on a car once, and he said, "Sir, I dont want to insult you". Told him I had been insulted by professionals---and he wouldnt get it done.

12. big creep

big creep

13. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

probably $2500 at best, I wouldn't be shocked to have to sit on that car for awhile at $2500

needs carb work and trans work usually equals a basket case, passing off a poor running car as needs carb work is usually bullshit unless you've already gone through the rest of the motor which I would assume you haven't because if you had those skills surely you would fix the carb.

How exactly have you established that the car needs a new torque convertor and doesn't need the trans rebuilt? Again if you've dropped the trans and pulled it apart to be sure it's ok it would seem strange that you put a broken torque convertor back in it...

If you've had offers on the car the way it is listed just goes to show a sucker is born every minute.

14. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

15. Martys 55

Martys 55

my motto is, its for sale , not on sale

16. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Ya know, if everyone who had a car for sale in the classifieds posted about the time they are having selling it, well, we wouldn't need the classifieds and no one would read the main board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.