Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone else tired of low balling tire kickers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crackernutz, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sign of the times

2. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Some of you guys are amazing; getting your feelings hurt because you don't like what some random knucklehead says or does. If you can't tolerate someone saying something you don't like or agree with, that says as much about you as it does the people irritating you. I don't like dealing with liars, cheats, or morons, tire kickers, etc., but if you are going to sell stuff to the public it's part of the deal. You never know who you might be talking to or what they are really thinking. I have sold things to people I was sure weren't buyers, to friends or co-workers they spoke with, had them come back years later needing something, you never know. Being rude, unfriendly, or dismissive toward prospective buyers is a pretty good way NOT to sell something.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  3. 01spirit750

01spirit750
    from Ohio

Hmm sound like he has too much time on his hands. He should spend more time on his job skills and improving his earning potential.

4. Abomb

Abomb

Why would you let a bitter guy who really wants your car, but can't afford it drive you away from eBay ? That's most likely all he is you know, somebody pissed because he can't afford what he really wants.

Sort of like most of those hippies on wall street :D

5. Tom C

Tom C

Maybe not for good, I just dont like paying ebays fees just to get tire kickers. That guy doesnt bother me I think he's funny, doesnt have anything better to do. He emailed me awhile back complaing about a car for 500 bucks.

6. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

there's an ass for every seat!just keep talkin to asses and you'll find the one your lookin' for.

7. inlinr6

inlinr6

Stop high balling!

8. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

Back when I was selling my OT (79 Ramcharger) I was asked what the lowest I would take was... I was selling for $1500... Told the guy $2000. Boy did he get upset. Give me an offer ya chump. He then asked for a serious answer. Told him $2500 and to make an offer based on my asking price.

9. Holy bat crapman!!! $19,000 in a flathead???

I will haggle but rarely low ball unless the seller is totally out of line, which I am seeing a LOT more these days. I always wonder what is gold plated. Maybe someone should start a thread about being tired of high balling arrogant sellers.

10. See, there are guys who sit in a library somewhere with no money and no job and nothing better to do who email up guys like you or me and complain about things they wouldn't buy even if they had the money. You can't let them bother you. I tell them to pound sand in no uncertain terms and usually enjoy doing it.

Just to give you an example, I had a '50 Ford woodie like 8, 10 years ago I put on there and it took me about two years to sell it, and this one jackass would email me every couple of months telling me what a piece of junk this car was and how I should part it out and scrap it. It didn't matter that I blocked his bids and told him so, it didn't matter if I outright told him to fuck off, he'd be back a few weeks, a month later. It culminated in him offering me $100 for the third seat out of it - which all alone in the same shape had just sold for $500 in an eBay listing. A week later I sold the car for $1600, on the low side but close to market at the time. Oddly, I never heard back after I told the clown that I sold the car.

And I have a flake the last couple years who emails every once in a while going on about "tax free income" and the IRS, babbling on and making no sense. Doesn't matter if I completely ignore him, he still writes. Again, someone with nothing better to do. I could probably write a book if I wanted to detail every moron who came to me whining about an eBay listing. They've gotten fewer and further between, but even just last week someone was whining about an asking price.

Craigslist is so bad, I had a running, driving van for sale in June and no one would even come look at it. I only wanted about $200 more than it would bring for scrap. Had the usual people offering money via email sight unseen, at least one from a bum email I couldn't write back to. Finally after a couple weeks I said enough and towed it to the junkyard. I don't think anyone took anything off it while it was there, I saw it over by the crusher shed a month later and it looked completely intact. Somebody could have gotten a couple years as a beater out of it -

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We sure are getting a lot of piss n moan posts from sellers these days. Get over it. Hold your ground if your price is realistic. Is it for sale or are you interested in setting a price record? Do you ask your firm price or price in some haggling room to make a deal? Selling requires the same instincts as buying. Stop whining and get over it. Get real or keep it. Realize that most active buyers, those with dough to play with, are going to assume you're destitute and needing food stamps because you're selling shit. GET OVER IT. Just say "no thanks" and move on. If you don't want to be bothered by buyers, KEEP IT. If you want a crowd of inquiries and people fighting over who got there 1st, price it at 10c on the dollar. Otherwise, wise up, do your homework, take yourself out of the equation, and get it done.

You want your price for that Caddy? Fix it. Cars like that are the least desireable model in any condition. With a bad trans, how is I supposed to drive Miss Daisy?

12. Actually that's a dumb way to look at things. Not everyone with something for sale needs the money or needs to sell it. You look at someone with tons of cars for sale, and tell me they're going to care one bit about your barely scrap price offer on one of them?

But as the seller you have to understand the buyer is rarely going to look beyond his own world view, and isn't going to put himself in your shoes in the least.

13. big creep

big creep

someone close this stupid thread already!

14. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Throwing my .02 in here before it gets shut down. I HATE SELLING SHIT! I have an off topic car for sale on ebay now. Some jagoff bid till he met my reserve then must've thought "oh shit, I hit reserve?" Called me on the phone to talk about the car, the conversation ended positively. Then I looked at ebay 15minutes later and the ass hat retracted his bid.

Whatever happened to "a man's word is his bond" ???

15. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

oh, I had my fill over the weekend, my patience is out with these lowballing MFers .
    I listed a 64-66 floor shift titl column for $400, douchbag offers me $175 " cash tonight" as it I would take payment or a check anyways . I replied , why so you can sell it on ebay for $600 , he says yeah then said he would list it for me . ? I got an account, I'd rather sell it for a lil less than to let ebay /paylpal dig in my pockets and deal with shipping it .
    Decided to sell, well setup up in swap at hunnert since I couldn't take car and bike was questionable it they would let in , I guess someone snuck a halfprice sale sign up when I wasn't looking ...SMH !

16. jmarshall97

jmarshall97

If there is any thing I know about buying cars its to offer a lower price AFTER you look at the car. I know this from my dad, we went to go look at a suburban and the guy cut us a deal just for "being normal"

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Every so often I sell a car, just remind myself why I got out of retail car sales.

I have the '36 on ebay now, and got a call last night from a guy from Alabama who said he wanted to buy it for his wifes birthday on the '26th, and would I consider a package deal with the enclosed car hauler, that he was ready to drive up and buy them both so as to get it ready for her birthday.

"Sure", I said, "Where would you like to be on the package?"

"What would you do on both of them?", was his reply. I told him the "buy it now" was listed in the sale, and that we were on our way out the door for dinner, but I'd call him tonight and we could talk.

I just got off the phone with him now. Again, I said the "Buy it now" was in the sale terms, and if he wanted me to end the sale early, that would be the price, but the trailer was negotiable, what would he like to own them both for, that I'd listen to offers.

"Wow. You threw the ball right back in my court." was his reply. "I wasn't prepared for that."

WTF? He's looking at the listing, he can see what the current bid is, AND I told him it was closing on the reserve. I'd told him the Buy it now was what it'd take to end the sale early if he didn't want to wait, and I'd also told him what I paid for the trailer and that I was open to a reasonable offer. He'd had a day to think about it, and he's not ready to make an offer?

I'm sure if I'd named a price, he'd have come back with, "I have to ask my wife."

Then, I could have said, "Just bring her along, and we'll Dick 'er".

Brian

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hahaah ^^^^^ Classic

19. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

Lowballers have NO power over me in any way. They do not have the power to piss me off, irritate me, or even vaguely annoy me. I don't care if they are lowballers, I just say, "No, thank you for the offer". Then they go away and I forget they even exist. Why waste energy being pissed about something that has zero importance?

20. George G

George G

Good approach.

21. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

But then you wouldn't be able to open a worthless drama thread :rolleyes:

I agree with you by the way...

22. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

before the kicker can make a lowball I allways ask if they have CASH if they say no I just walk away,,,, we are all lowballers cash talks bullshit walks!!!

23. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

Most people do not know how to sell or buy swapmeets are the worst!!!

24. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

If I need it I pay cash and take it..but I do see a lot of things that are priced way out of range, stuff that I do know the value of since I have sold a lot of the same stuff over the years (never sell anything, then you need it as usual). So in that case my offer is a low ball offer, because the seller thinks his stuff is gold or it is still at the height of the market.
    I actually have a lot of fun at swap meets making offers, the guys that get all upset make me laugh the most, we keep tweaking them till they lose it just for the entertainment value. Some people take life way too seriously.

25. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I get crazy lowball offers daily. But most as so disrespectful they make a lowball offer via telephone without ever seeing the vehicle. Just fishing for a desparate seller, I guess.

If you want to be successful buying from me, do your homework...ask questions, ask for additional photos, ask for my opinion of the quality of the vehicle, ask me about any "issues". Don't ask for my bottom dollar, don't focus on the obvious flaws, don't be rude and certainly don't make an offer you can't back up with cash.

I will not be a pleasant person to deal with if you try to whittle me down by pointing out all the flaws. Compliments will work better. A little sugar will catch more flies than vinegar.

26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that anyone who considers replying to this post should first check out the OP's ad for his Cadillac. It will be informative.

27. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

yeah, the dude's a highballer.

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Needing trans and carb work will definately not get you what you are asking,you will need to budge some from that price since its a 4 door. If it was a Coupe DeVille or convertible it would be a different story so fix it and then see what you can get.

29. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Have you considered fixing the car and then listing it? I see needs carb work and torque convertor to mean, runs like shit and shifts bad. As a buyer I don't know you so I'm gonna assume you are trying to get out of the car because of some expensive problems.

On the other hand, if I see an ad for that price with a line like, "newly rebuild trans and tune-up", I won't even haggle with you and give you your cash if the car checks out in person.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.