Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else stranded?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lord Purple, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

Had a great time at Roundup but despite doing Austin to Memphis in one day on Monday, I'm still not home to UK. :mad:

In case you hadn't heard, all flights in Northern Europe grounded due to volcanic ash in atmosphere from erupting volcano in Iceland.

I'm stuck in Amsterdam as my connection was cancelled.

Anyway, enough of my troubles, still had a great time in Austin, thanks to everyone involved, met some great people, etc etc etc.....

Keith (LP.)

2. Lord Purple...Are you the guy that was traveling with your buddy in a 32 Cabrio with LH drive???

3. I saw some clips on MSNBC this morning, looks like nothing will fly in or out of the UK for maybe a week to 10 days. Glad you had a good time in the US.

Bob

4. specialk

specialk

1 word, chunnel

5. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

Funny, Im near leeds/bradford airport, its sunny with a clear sky. no clouds for miles, couldnt imagine how they couldnt land a plane.

6. That sounds like the title of a song,

Good luck with a short stay

7. Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk

I feel for you, there is no place like home. But if it helps, I am stuck at work and would much rather be stuck in Amsterdam, I hear they have great "coffee"! Hope you make it home soon.

8. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

National Air Traffic Services (NATS) have now confirmed that no flights will be permitted in UK controlled airspace until 1am on Saturday 17th April, at the earliest, due to the volcanic ash drifting across the country from Iceland.
    ------------
    A further review from NATS (National Air Traffic Services) advises that restrictions will remain in place in UK controlled airspace until 0100 hrs local time tomorrow (Saturday 17 April).

We advise all passengers to contact their relevant Airline or Tour Operator.

-----------

Channel Tunnel high-speed train company Eurostar reported a sell-out of its 58 London St Pancras to and from Paris and Brussels services. A spokeswoman for the company said: "We are carrying more than 46,000 people today and all our trains are full. We are telling potential customers without bookings not to come to St Pancras because they will not be able to travel."

----

Looks like youre gonna be stuck there a while.

9. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

that volcanic ash does a number on jet engines, or any engine for that matter
    flame outs and abrasion is rediculous..it might not look that bad from the ground, but up at 35,000 or better its like trying to fly thru a sandblast cabinet.

your in a good place to party (so ive been told) extended vacation here you come

whats the car scene in Amsterdam like?

11. nofin

nofin
    from australia

It's not to do with landing. The ash is up over 30,000 feet. It's not real good in jet engines...

12. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Hazy...;)

13. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Do they still have ocean liners to / from Europe? Gary

15. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

Yep, that was me but it was RHD! :D We also got our mugs on the Austin TV news after the Friday cruise!

Amsterdam could be a cool place if you want to party, (but I'd rather get home to the wife!). I'm calling in a favour from the Trashers CC here in Holland, taking a train to Eindhoven to see some car guys I know, maybe I can fly from there in a couple of days.

Thanks for the good wishes.

L.P.

16. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Amsterdam- hell of a place to be stranded- to me that ranks right up there with Fiji or the carribean. on a suck scale of 1-10 you are at about a negative 2

17. L P ,I'm one of the guys that you met at the Cracker Barrel in Dallas for the caravan down to Reggies,,,,Hope you get home soon and was nice to meet you...Come back soon!!!!! And I meant RHD,sorry

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  18. specialk

specialk

I was afraid of that.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

anything going into Paris?

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well at least you have all of us here on the HAMB to keep ya company:D

21. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

Thanks, tomorrow I'm going to go hang out with the guys from the Trashers CC in Eindhoven, then Monday I'll take train to coast and get ferry back to UK, its booked..

L.P.

22. ryno

ryno

man that sucks. if you only knew you could have stayed state side for a few more days.

sounds like you got it figured out though. if you need a hand getting some info or checking into anything let me know.

safe travels

23. I don't see the issue. I have a globe right here in front of me. It is only like a 3 inch walk. :D

24. What we're seeing on the news here, it sounds like half of Europe has been shut down. UK-bound passengers are being made to stay put here which is pissing them off to no end. At least you've got the ability to take the ferry. Safe travels

25. Lord Purple

Lord Purple

No problem at all I knew it was a typo! I'll be back next year with the wife this time.

Which guy were you? The taller guy in the black Chevy that followed us and we talked nostalgia drags? Or the other one that was in it?

The others were Stu with the Chevy Pick-up or ??? with orange '34 truck?

L.P.

26. lohari

lohari
    from Finland

Hey,
    I kind of won in this lottery. I am not stuck at any airport but sunny Orlando, Florida. I call this a Vulcanic Ash Vacation, paid by my Company.:D

Anything cool going on here? Tomorrow I'm planning to drive to Don Garlits museum.

By the way; thee were some pics in finnish newspaper showing what the ash did to our F/A Hornet engines flying across the non-visible ash cloud. In the pics you could see really noticeable melted ash/glass/rock building inside the jet engines. I also understand that airplanes with piston engines (like DC3?) can operate normally?

27. I have met the gent who owns the cabro at Tunica a couple of times. Saw the car at Mercury Charley's Sunday but could not spot the driver. Hope you had a good time. The Roundup is just about the best we have to offer.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My girlfriend was supposed to go to Europe for over a month, last Thursday.

I was looking forward to some unencumbered time to catch up on some projects.

No such luck. And, her parents and husband are in town, so if I do want to hang out with her, I get to hang out with her, and all of them.

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Good luck getting home. Just think of how happy your family will be to see you!

30. LP...I'm the short "OLD" white haired guy in the Black HHR