Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Else Sick of "Patina"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

a car in original paint, no matter the condition, is something to be admired.

a fake job is just that, fake.

I respect original paint and understand the desire to preserve it...they are only original once.

btw, it just doesn't cost that much to put a coat of paint on a car. Whatever happened to a six pack of rattle cans from Walmart. Less than $20.

That would be much more traditional that all the faux patina that is being passed off. No matter how hard you try, it will still be fake, and we can tell

but to each his own

2. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I notice none of the (patina kings are chiming in ) well to each his own some guys spend lots and I meand lots to get that look , thats what makes us who we are allways lookin for the next "thing" up , down, paint no paint , billit n o billit , old motors ,new motors , check out mr jetters take on it ,its cool, and my hero will always be BILL BURNHAM he just liked hotroding! just my 2 pennys

3. Olustee Bus

Olustee Bus

Original paint is good. Patina for the sake of patina is old hat. At one time a novelty, now a bore.

4. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I have seen a lot of "weathered, patina'd, etc" cars that just make folks smile. Funny how I can park my rod in a crowd of highly waxed & detailed rods, yet my old rod seems to get more attention.

My favorite example of late is the 50 Buford that was @ Hunnert. Looked like it sat in the desert for ever, but the guy had $8-$10k in fresh chrome on it. It was a stand out & got a ton of attention.

FAKE patina is bullshit, but a car's original only once.

5. i never get sick of old cars... shiny, dull, bent, straight, faux, glass, steel, high, low, fast slow, etc...life's short... seek therapy...go to your happy place.

6. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

i love good orig. paint , even with flaws , what im sick of is hearing "patina" all the time , kinda like im sick of hearing "barn find" and all the outher new labels everybodys putting on everything

7. steve53

steve53

BAM! I drive mine every day. I got more thumbs up hittin up the gas station on the way to work today than trailer queen will get at the show.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's still just worn out old paint isn't it? Some guys might think that weathered and faded primer on y 48 is patina or cool but personally I think it looks like shit and don't want anyone to see it in it's present condition.

I can see having the chassis done right and then running the car or truck one year in the rough while you get the chassis sorted out and decide what to do with the body and then tear it down the next winter and redo it. Then maybe one outing with bare metal to show the guys how nice your metal work is before going back in the shop to prep it for paint. I doubt seriously that anyone will ever see my truck in bare metal unless it is on a trailer at the unfinished nationals in a year or so.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Wow!! right at the end of this thread and I finally find someone who states EXACTLY the way I would. "Barn find" and "Patina" should be outlawed on this site.

Frank

10. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

along with GASSER

11. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Go patina go! BUT Rust through spots are NOT patina they are still an eyesore and should be fixed. However a nice unrusted car with paint worn through here and there from being buffed and polished over the years....... Is just right.

12. Herdez

Herdez

x2:)

13. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Worn out or aged original paint is just something we cant get back...thats what makes it so great, your seeing a peice of history! It has been def over done with all the remakes and faux patina. Shiney,Bare,Flat,Rusty or even fake...To each there own as it would suck if we all had the same taste!

14. nwheels

nwheels
    from Washington

Barn finds and all the catch phrases are garbage. Wash your car, fix the rust, and have some pride in it. Old paint is cool as long as you aren't rubbing it down bare on the edges to consider it patina or even a shitbox r*t rod. Paint isn't an immediate necessity but aim to finish it with real paint when you can. A work in progress can definately be respected, but a rusty pile of shit is just that.

15. threeston

threeston

you know, if you narrow your definition of this hobby to exclude everyone except yourself, you'll be all alone. "see you later innovator".

16. I'm sick of these threads...

17. TubularGoose

TubularGoose

Also I might add some of those high class paint job guy will brag "this car took 10 years to build" and I can say yeah.... My paint took 40 years to get like it is haha! But isn't that the beauty of hot rodding. Diversity. I've seen some crap but I would never put down another mans work just because it's not MY style. To each his own! I agree this thread should close. Why put down half the cars on this site :)

18. WhitePunkOnNitro

WhitePunkOnNitro
    from Middle Tn

Bingo!

19. Deuces

Deuces

I got a thumbs up from a little 7 year old kid in the back seat of his mom's car waiting a light today.... I thought that was cool!! :D

20. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

gasser should only be allowed if its built like something that would have (or did) run in the gasser classes back then . i also would like to see "school me on ____" and "do you guys think it would be ok if i did ______ to MY car " posts outlawed

21. Maybe a bad idea....but I started a thread on "What's YOUR idea of patina? Just to see what different people consider to be patina.

22. I like real. Hate anything fake. According to Barrett Jackson fake is still in. Just saw Legacy truck go for 64K. Fake aging is as real as Oprah Winfrey after make-up.

I've been into original since before it was "in". Used to get turned away from show & shines, but managed to get in to some and you'd have to wait to get a picture. I've always liked primered cars too. My first car never saw paint until after I sold it.

Here's the truck I'm talking about drove it in 1995 as is. It was a blast, and never had to tell anyone to get off of it.

Boy I wish I could have got 17 inch wide whites back then a.jpg

I used to put signs on it like, "go ahead and touch it" or "spirit is willing funds are week". Got lots of smiles.

Every scratch and dent tells a story. Every ride has its story to tell. Let it be told. Paint it, all that disappears and it looks like any other fresh paint job. Even just primer says it's being cared for IMO.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  23. shoveled71

shoveled71

Was watching Barret Jackson earlier tonight, the highest priced ride on there was a 48 Chevy truck with a rusty patina, it brought more than a shitload of beautiful restored trucks at 64000.00. I like some of them, but not that much...

24. bblue34

bblue34

you know i love cars .... painted or rusty

25. Ebert

Ebert

I got the finger today from a guy driving a snowplow apparently because my F-150 is painted.

26. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

My son and I were watching Barrett Jackson tonight and the faux patina 48ish Chevy truck came on and sold for 64K. My 9year old son turns to my and says
    "What the HELL???"

27. Well, I guess THAT buyer isn't sick of patina. I hope he sees this thread when he sobers up:D

28. dragdaddyO

dragdaddyO

Im sure there wasnt any "patina" on the 572 under the hood and it didnt hurt that it was tubbed. It also had a 4-link setup with a rollbar. "Prostreet" in need of paint.

29. von birch

von birch

patina depends...an older buddy of mine has a nearly stock 36 ford 5 window that was partly restored and repainted in the '60's. the car is a perfect driver, with perfect patina. he asked me to pinstripe it after he got it repainted. i honestly struggled on whether to agree to do the job just because i love the car just as it is. i think this is a good reason to leave the patina...but "patina" should never be an excuse to half-ass a car.

30. Ebert

Ebert

This 48 Chevy for $70,400 with buyer's premium....directly from the Barrett-Jackson site! Whoa!

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.