Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else notice this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drewski, Jan 5, 2013.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uh, Bob, I am 43, have building rods and kustoms my whole life, not to mention that I do it for a living, every working day, and for fun on my days off. I have more blood and treasure invested in this than most people.

I am, and look exactly like the people you say are ruining car shows.:eek:

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Im starting to notice this thread will not go AWAY!

3. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Most car shows suck! Bunch of old crabby guys sitting by a kit car with a goodwrench crate motor waiting for their trophy because they have a 15,000$ paint job. Most of them cars are UFO's and I don't consider them old!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

4. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

I bet the next time your t framed half dodge thing breaks down in bfe you'll be glad cell phones were invented

5. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read.

----------------------------------------------------
    As for the OP, the younger people are there and they're not all tattooed and pierced hipsters (myself included). All anyone has to do is look. I have been into this my whole 32 years of life. This topic is an age old concern that we talk about in our club. 95% of our members are retirement age and are worried about the future of the hobby, yet, many of them are very clique'y and don't wish to notice or deal with younger people. It's like the saying goes, you reap what you sew.

6. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

Anybody texting at a car show or run, should be shown the way out.

7. im just going to tell you about one young man. this boy at a young age was in the garage learning everything about mechanical things. he learned how to restore indian and harley antique bikes. then restored his own mini bike. he learned how to build motors then built a 440 six-pack. he helped build countless cars then restored his own 69 super bee. he was not given the car. he worked three jobs and learned how to buy and sell parts. he also learned how to manage a large project and keep a restoration moving forward. with this experience he was able to win four state automotive titles and one national championship. last month he went to brazil and won a international title. he won more than 250 grand in scholarship money and over 40 grand in tools. he is in college studying automotive engineering in his third year. he has 24 ase certificates. and is going to germany in july to represent the usa for the world finals. my point here is start the kids young. teach them and let them work with you. dont just let them watch. they will mess up things just like you and i have. big deal.its just another chance to fix something and learn. you can go to college and have a car. its a matter of how bad do you want it. and how much do you want to give up to get it. im very proud of this kid he is my son. we have a lot of fun together in the shop and at shows. its a great feeling following your kid to a show in a car he built himself. while driving in a car he helped build with me.

8. This is a pet peeve of mine. Cruise night is no cruise and very little night.

I'm right in there with ya. I agree with the guys who say the price of project cars is through to roof but, I also see so much good workable stuff going to the crusher it worries me sometimes. I've even seen cars that I've answered ads on, gone to see and made a resonable offer on up on jack stands at Pull a Part sold for half what I offered in the first place. :confused:

9. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Don't own a cell phone, brother. I Would rather put 50 a month into my retirement or my kid's college. But understand, I never said I hated tech, I am just saying that it is frivolously abused and it has become expected, yet we don't know how to fix it (that is – the average person). Basically, we rely on it too much. Think about what it means today to lose Internet access for one day. We can't work, we can get entertainment, can't shop, can't watch TV, can't use the phone. We have really changed over the past 15 years, and while most of it is for the better, I do believe there are issues with the success as well. Just sayin’….

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  10. No joke,,and it's a drama feeding frenzy!:rolleyes: HRP

11. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That's a fairly slim level of tolerance. What's next, belching and not saying excuse me?

12. I think you have nailed it!!!

13. b-bop

b-bop

Wow Tom, more than likely it is guys like you that keep the young guns moving on. I hope I never see you talk on a cell phone or we will have to show you the gate too. :eek:

14. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Oh the humanity! Just where and when did it all go wrong? And even more important - who cares? Is it worth getting angry over.

15. Drewski

Drewski

Geez, I didn't expect all this drama.

Hopefully a moderator will kill this one where it stands.

16. Larry T

Larry T

I've noticed that a LOT of threads that go over 5 pages turns into a "Us vs. Them" deal. I'm guessing there are less than 10 topics that collect the biggest part of the Us/Them drama.

17. Model T1

Model T1

Maybe it's because I've never been to a fancy indoor car show with all those hotrods and customs built in 2012 to compete in a 2012 show. Ya know, those cars just finished the day they were pushed onto the closed trailer and delivered to the show. The same cars that are behind ropes with signs do not breath on this car. The same cars with owners too high falutin to even say hi to anyone asking questions. Questions they don't know about their own cars anyway.
    I have been to large outdoor car shows such as Daytona Turkey Run and many in the Midwest. As a youngster and a greybeard I saw and see all ages and types of people and cars. From what I remember everyone was getting along and having fun. Has it changed that much in recent years?
    Maybe it's the fact that most indoor and some outdoor shows cost more to enter as participants and observers than many young families can afford. Maybe too because some of those young kids saw a 32 Ford once and get tired of seeing the same one over and over with slightly different paint and body mods. Maybe some of us old farts would rather look at a real 32 Ford than one made last week with very few 32 appearing parts.
    Just using a 32 Ford as reference. This goes for many other body styles also. Young guys want to see cars they can afford to find and build. Most are eager to look and learn but can't when some old dude is busy sitting in his lawn chair bench racing wit others.
    We all need to work together to keep the hobby going.

18. 35desoto

35desoto

Every one has missed a good point in the first post.
    There is an untapped new business venture in the last sentence.
    I've said this more then once over the last five years.
    There has to be a new generation business in selling modified/hot rodded themed Walkers and mobility scooters.
    Just think of all the chaos that could be caused in a retirement home by a bunch of hooligan old hot rodders souping up their scooters or doing the custom scene LOL !!!:D

Gotta laugh guys!!!

19. Drewsski

I told you in post number 122 this was going to go on and on.

20. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

I think car shows need to advertise more.

21. You must not get out much.

It's cause the younger ppl are already there in their car entered in the show.I'm almost 26 and own. 2 'classic' cars

22. Model T1

Model T1

I think we are thinking too much.
    Did ya ever think that the cars we drove to cruise ins and car shows were the same cars we drove to school, work, and play? It is different now and younger guys are having it tough building a rod as a toy and still having a family, bills, and the family car. Actually two or more since it seems like both family members need a car of their own to drive plus a truck or SUV to pull the boat or RV.
    Some of us get way off topic about tattoos, cell phones and other crap that has nothing to do with car shows or car people. Anyone else notice this?:confused:

23. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

what kind of texting machine do you have.

24. bracket

bracket
    from ATX

It's a Macintosh computer phone, it has Al Gore's internet tubes inside it and they reach all the way to Japan.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I realise you were joking, but I actually asked about doing something similar. When I was doing my Veterans Hospital job, I had met a guy who pinstriped. He saw all the guys using mobility scooters and thought some might like getting them pinstriped. He was going to do it for free. Upon asking, the results were not as expected. Most vets took it as an insult. I thought that was odd, considering that a lot of the guys had stickers and flags drapped on their scooters.

And I can't believe this has gone 8 pages. Wow.

26. jimstro16

jimstro16

This guy hit it right on...Maybe the younger generation doesn't have interest in hanging out with the grey hairs.

The car shows have gotten lame and very boring.

I;m 35 and don't get me wrong, I like to here stories and how it was and how they did it back then.

I work out in my garage four nights a week building hot rods/ race cars but still have very little interest in sitting on my lawn chair in some parking lot listening to someone tell me how I should've done it or they did it better.

Id rather run it

27. jones kustoms

jones kustoms
    from vegas

It is a shame more guys don't take interest in the history that the older generations offer. I'm 27 and most of what I have learned has been from the "grey hairs". It is their knowledge and b.s. that I go for. I've got a 67 elky 39 panel,66 coronet, 24 willys, 57 willys and am building a 37 pickup. I sells at swap meets and go to shows and everyone automatically assumes its my dads shit or the guy I'm selling to. The fact is that it's the grey hairs that taught me and its the grey hairs I call when I have a question. There are very few younger guys into the hobby here in Vegas but we all have to pass the hobby along. It is all our duty to get younger people involved in the hobby and foster their interest. I'll give tools and parts to teens before ill sell them, just to pay it forward. We not only do this to go fast and fabricate but to preserve the history. The history won't mean much when we are gone, if no one appreciates it.

28. What is texting?-MIKE:eek::D

[​IMG]

29. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

well im 38 ad have had a lot of hot rods,custom cars over the years, but then again i grew up with it as my parents built custom Harley's and chops since i was 5yr old

30. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

will you text me so's i can deleat it?