Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone else having trouble?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by fordnutz, Dec 6, 2006.

1. It seems to take forever for the pages and sometimes the site itself to load and if I close out the hamb and try another site there is no problem. Anyone else here having this problem. I am on highspeed phone line and have a wizbang up to date computer. I notice especially if someone pm's me and I try to open it from the prompt. I usually give up and just go to my messages to open it. Pat.

2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If you are using AOL that is usually the problem.

Ryan can explain better than I can.

Cob
    Classified Editor

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Humm... server performance is great right now... you might be having a cache issue... try logging off, clearing your cookies and temp internet files and then logging back on... bet that works.

4. I will give it a shot. Thanks Ryan.

5. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

It may be your ISP.

I travel ALOT for a living, well half a living anyway.

I have zero trouble with the HAMB when at home, work or staying at any Marrriot property. Lately I have been doing a lot of military work and they stick us in Hilton Properties for that. I have the same problems you've described.

Are you on a laptop? If so, go to the setting on your card and set the power savings setting to best performance instead of best battery life. I just returned from Orlando last night but I made that change night before last. It seemed to help but I didn't have enough time to test it.

Other than that, it's the cache thing Ryan talked about.

6. bastadical

bastadical
    from Fenton, MI

Also, try opening up a command prompt by clicking on the start button, clicking run, then typing cmd.

At the prompt enter [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ipconfig /flushdns

This will clear the cached DNS information on your system... from time to time as IP information changes you will notice poor performance as your system is converting the DNS name (ie-www.jalopyjournal.com) to an older IP address. If you run a trace route you will see that between you and the website you are visiting (at command prompt tracert www.jalopyjournal.com) there are lots of intermediate steps between you and the computer you are contacting. In my case there are 19 "hops". As the information pertaining to any of those hops changes it can affect the performance of your browsing. Flushing the DNS forces Windows to gather current information about the page and its location and should help performance to some degree. I used to have to do this all the time on Hardocp.com's furum.

If this doesn't help at all then you may also want to perhaps try an alternate browser... If you are not already using Firefox I recommend you try it and that should alleviate a lot of the hickups that internet exploder causes.
    [/FONT]

Also, what do you mean by high speed phone line? If you mean DSL cool, if you mean one of the gay accelerator packages that netzero or earthlink or some of the other dialup services offer than you are not on high speed. Those services cache information from frequently visited websites based on web traffic from all of their users and store it on there server so information that stays mostly static will load faster as it is coming straight from your ISPs server Vs the original website. If it is a site that does not get a lot of traffic from the other users on you ISP or something that is constantly in flux (like a forum... it would have to stop and compare the cached information to the info currently on the HAMB's server before deciding it needed to send the new info to you), then you will not get the benefits of the "increased speed".

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Very good idea...

8. Tried everything guys. Still slow. My ISP is Sasktel ( Saskatchewan Telephone) or Sympatico is their other name. Only happens on this forum. I have noticed now though that my other forums have really speeded up. Pat.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm at a loss... Might be a good idea to call your isp and ask their tech support... I'm not showing any issues with your account at all.

10. Thanks for checking Ryan. I will check with Sasktel and see what they have to say. Pat.