Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have pics of more cars with FENDERWELL HEADERS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Oct 13, 2003.

1. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oops..forgot the pic...

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

jesus bet he'd flip over that 5 inch stack off a semi i just welded to my shoebox ah ha ha hah ha

:>

tim

and yes i did

3. YO TUCK! Here is the car I was talkn' about.

Attached Files:

4. av8

av8

Tuck -- Saying that each of my posts is a 'hit and run' is a very strong indictment. Don't waste your dollars on the book, because it's full of opinion and attitude -- lots of 'hit' but no 'run.' Still, major attitude about building an early car.

My feelings and statments about down-turn headers have nothing to do with me being in a bad mood. They have everything to do with how annoying and messy those headers are. I assumed -- wrongly -- that others would understand how down-turned collectors can screw up a starting area with bits of pavement crumbs and tire curds blown all about.

But that was from a racer's perspective and not something important to you or most of the folks involved in this thread. I'm going to stay with my reliable drag-racer's perspective, and hope you rat-rodders can work out something that's as equally comfortable.

Just an old greybeard . . .

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

6. av8

av8

Pardon me for explaining my position, Ryan.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You are pardoned. [​IMG]

8. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Tuck, I think you should make Zoomies out of 36 Ford Torque Tubes.

8 Cones. HaHaHa

9. autocol

autocol

hey tuck, i can see where ya coming from with the 'art' of these headers, i've always thought that bleeds car looked way cool.

however, upon looking at all the other cars in this thread, i'd be tempted to suggest that damn near every one of them looks stupid, to my eyes.

looking back at bob's car, i'd describe his headers as having more in common with the tubester (not to everyone's taste but ART in a hotrod if ever there was) than the 'true' fenderwell headers in the willys and chevs.

put the fenders back on bob's A and there's not a fucking hope in hell those headers would fit underneath 'em! they're more like "cowl-huggers" or something.

in any event, i've seen some of your art, and i know it's fucking good, so come on sketch some up and let's all shoot you down! [​IMG]

autoballs.

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

In the beginning everyone pointed their pipes at the ground. Weedburners ruled! BUT...
    This blew up dirt and oil and shit all over anyone near the car, and scratched up cars next to you from flying gravel.
    Also started fires in the grass of the pits.
    Then they went to zoomies and they just blow your hat off and give you a face full of hot gasses and unburned NITRO but don't melt the starting line or leave lines of oil on the track in front of the tires when the rings let go. The starter can wear a normal shirt and doesn't need safety goggles to keep the 100mph flying burned asphault, rocks and rubber grit out of his eyes. Fewer cars oil up the tires and smack the wall.

Even most of the gassers eventually stopped dumping the headers on the ground. Racers learned hitting the wall from oiled down tires just wasn't cool and moved on.

If you build "Piss off pipes" do me a favor.
    Don't key my paintjob like a friggin candy assed punk, Don't throw your empties in my ride and don't fire up your gravel & dirt thrower next to my car. Messing up other peoples shit for a laugh is NOT cool, and it isn't art. If it's art, then leave out the pistons when you build the engine. And trailer it to the gallery. Don't go rapping your pipes thru the grounds throwing shit at everybody elses cars and kids. I'm with Mike on this one. I like that little green roadster, but it needs turnouts that don't point at the ground. And loud just to be a prick isn't cool.
    It's just being a prick...

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

True fenderwell headers--you know-to be a fenderwell header, you gotta have a fenderwell. this is a 1950 Ford with 460 seen at Rosanky

12. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't go for the 60's style on hot rods or kustoms really. I'm a late 40's/early 50's kind of guy... Subtle, clean, and good ole fashioned evil...

[/ QUOTE ]

heck that is just my opinion aswell regarding my preferd style on hotrods and customs

13. Zodoff

Zodoff

14. ok all you fenderwell header haters, how about this?

if and when i ever go to the track and uncork my headers, i will be sure and bring a set of turnouts.

Would that be acceptable?

AV8 your points as well as those of others are duely noted, i also would like to say i would never think of running my 55 with open headers in the grass, dirt, gravel or near anyone elses ride... that would just be chicken shit.. so i understand your adversion to them if this is what you have experienced with other guys using them.

thanks to all for taking the time to elaborate.

i guess it comes down to personal taste and above all personal responciblity.

many years ago i had a 64 chev i roadraced, it had side exiting fenderwell headers (directed strait out behing the front tires)

one day while makeing a 30 mile run i lost a hose, and overheated,, pulled over to let it cool and add water. meanwhile the carb was boiling fuel over into the intake and did a good job of pouring raw gas down the engine.

well i had several friends stop to help,, and one dude that i didnt know in his bermuda shorts,, he was raising hell with me that the car had to be removed from the highway,, and NOW!

i really couldnt have been concerned with him... he was standing beside the drivers window reading me the riot act... i lit the chevy,, and an enormous blast of fire shot out from each side of the car and i took off, in a cloud of dust.

i found out later back in town that the dude as a vacationing highway patrolman,, and that my flame job had burned all the hair off his legs... ouch!!!

so i guess your point are well taken... that certainly wasnt very responcible of me,,, but damn it sure was funny

bob

15. I've got a bag of flour and a leaf blower in the H-bomb so I don't need turn-downs!!! I also have a pump that sprays brake fluid everywhere.

16. Oh I forgot I'm also hooking up Gaydar to the H-bomb so I can tell who gets pissed off easily, then I can drive around those people.

17. beatnik

beatnik

Hi Tuck, Don't know what these started as or where I got this pic, but they are sick enough for me to appreciate.

Attached Files:

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

looks like fenderwells on opposite sides or the like

19. beatnik

beatnik

This is another set I like, Just lakestyle/limefire headers but extended. Doors don't open but as low as it is who needs doors.

Attached Files:

20. Hellfish

Hellfish

I think it's funny that I had to read through 5 fucking pages of this post to find out why these pipes are so evil. They kick up dirt and they're loud. boo hoo. I'm really beginning to think Californians are big sissies.

anyway, that roadster at the Pileup belongs to a guy named Tommy from Romeoville, IL. He builds really nice motorcycles for a living and he bent all those pipes himself.

21. Heres another positive attribute of these headers: gold chainers wont park near you!!!!! [​IMG]

22. AHotRod

AHotRod

Man, I thought I was going to see 46 pictures of rides with Fenderwell headers...not a debate! Personally I like fenderwell "Style" headers, and YES I built a set for my old Willys.
    Is'nt Hot Rodding about creativity, personality, expression, and a BIG GRIN ?!
    I look at it this way, if it makes me GRIN, then I do it.

23. daddylama

daddylama

any other pics of the blue roadster that beatnik posted??? that thing is ti**s...

24. k-member

k-member

Beatnick, I saw that black Plymouth coupe in Puyalup popping corn out of those pipes.