Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have pics of more cars with FENDERWELL HEADERS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I was thinking maybe i could bring the roadster over to your shop later and use your pipe bender?

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

OK, I'll point 'em any way you want them, but it seems like a long drive for a set of headers.

3. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

well, maybe you could point me in the right direction as to what pipe bender to buy on the do it yourself home builder budget??? have you ever used any of those $99 benders?

4. well i dont own a deuce or any of the old iron most of you guys work with and love....

but to me... on a 55 chevy,,, with a tilt front end ,,, there simply is nothing cooler than fenderwell headers...

i would agree they are knarly sounding when open.. and i would likely run turnouts if i was to do so...

but the again.... GERM says i am gay.... so who cares... i like em.... lol

bob

Attached Files:

5. I take offense! Please Tuck, if you are going to use me as a reference call me Tman not Tballs. Tbag works..I like Iced Tea. Iced tea is good peace drink......ever see a headline about "Crazed Iced T junkie kills 27?"

Anyway.......Bleed likes to piss folks offf. Tuck wants to do the same. My toouring mught run the 348 out of 2" pipes sans mufflers.

Bottom line is we are punks and enjoy it. The difference between your experience(av8) is that you are thinking of the drags. The rest of us in Mn, Sodak or Wisconsin is that uncorked HARLEYS rattle the windows all the time..........what we are doing with these old cars is looked upon as cool by cops in my town, and I assume it is the same in other parts of the midwest.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

I like the mandrell bend U-bends better. It takes a pretty fancy bender to make those bends nice, and even then the diameter goes down a little. The last time I had a set of pipes bend ( on a big expensive machine ) I found out what its radius was first, found a V-belt pulley that matched that, and bend PVC pipe around that by heating it, had those copyed in steel, and used those to build my headers.
    That was a lot of extra work, and there was still the problem of the pipes being pinched a little in the bends.

7. flesh gordon has some headers like that on his bantam

8. its actually Hell-n`s car gordon`s girl she is a radiator hoe [​IMG]

9. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

god damn it i like calling you tballs, I call one of my best friends tijuana j JBALLS and so on... it means your on the in. I am a punk and a car builder and I like hot rods and women and calling you TBALLS [​IMG]

metalshapes i dont think theres anyway of getting away from the pinching/ bleeds headers show the marks etc and it looks fine in chrome, you dont even notice it! I want to make them myself, I think its gonna be fun... and then off to get CHROME.
    thanks~

Thanks for the pic MAXimus

10. Tuck:

as an option for really tight radius bends check into the schedule 40 black pipe mandrel weld fittings... they are just under 1/8 thick, very easy to work with and weld, and come in 90,45,30 and 15 degree bends... and as smooth as silk. They work well coming off the flanges to make those seemingly impossible turns,, possible.

and besides you will never burn them out... not in this lifetime anyway.

bob

11. Broman

Broman
    from an Island

I worked for half of a decade as a tube bender in a local factory, then I was promoted to the tube mill - where we made the tubing from flat coils of steel. No kidding.

Anywho, I don't know about how a metal shop bends tubing to specific angles but ours was a computer controlled wonder. It used an XYZ axis and you could use a lazer to scan to vector (XYZ). Pretty rad stuff. My point is this. Making a template out of some other easier-to-manipulate matterial would be benefitial if you were going to mass produce these. But it seems to me that you would have to go through a ton of work just to build a template when you could have been working on the actual headers that you would be using and be done with it. I'd take out any extra steps if you ask me.

I have a stack of Street Rodder mags that tackled the coverage of the "Tubester". They bought a bunch of straights and a bunch of bends and just cut 'em up and tacked 'em together until the damn things looked like spaghetti:

.......connect a bend from here to abend from there going in the other direction (tack weld [pause] tack weld) add a small straight (tack), add another bend (tack).....

I tell ya it looked like he had steel doughnuts and he cut them all up like pie and tacked the whole mess together.

Does this help anyone?

I suppose not but at least I know what I mean, even if I don't know it...ya know?

12. av8

av8

I get grumpy and cranky only when folks close their minds and insist on sticking with their original path even when it's dead wrong.

13. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

Tuck is an ARTIST. He asked for some pictures for inspiration, that's all.

I don't see where anyone is being closed minded at all.

I am going to try to get a hold of the guy who built my headers in the 60's and see if he can make a set for Tuck.

I think that would be neat.

14. hatch

hatch
    from house

Throughout time quite a few people have been wrong....now they are rich.

15. lucky_1974

lucky_1974

Damn-- I was excited to see this post earlier, I am building a Model A truck and was going to do the same thing. I think it has to be a midwest thing to love the look, and the sound. I told a few people a couple of weeks ago and they said don't you'll hate it, people will be pissed at shows, blah, blah, blah. Most people don't come up chat with me anyway so it will be nice to have the socialization. I think I will call them "meetin' people pipes", I figure people will scream at me or say wow those are cool, love the sound, either way I'm meeting new people.

I'm glad some people posted some pics but keep them coming. I have some stuff sketched but would love more inspiration...

Knowing my luck Tuck will finish his roadster first and then I will get to hear everytime I go some where, nice pipes what are you trying to be a tuckaphile. I'll just correct them and say no a bleedsterite... [​IMG]

Sincerely yours, and part of the growing midwestern phenomenon known as "meetin people pipes" formerly "piss pipes" [​IMG].

16. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have a legitimate question for you Mike

If you were going to build a 60's Show Car what configuration would you run for headers?

Why are you so upset that I'm thinking about running this style of header on my car? If I were building a 50's style roadster I wouldn’t be doing this at all. Why keep posting on this thread?

I'm dead wrong and close-minded to who’s school?
    Who’s rules am I breaking?
    Why am I close-minded?

I'm not going to KISS anyone’s ass on this thread period.

-Jeff-

17. i really dont understand what is wrong with fenderwell headers.... i guess i would like to be taught what is wrong, and not simply dismissed out of hand.

seems like we are right back to who the fuck wrote the rules??

AV8 i understand you have been building rods since the days of the square headed head bolt, and have written extensively, and in that reguard my hat is off to you and those of your ilk.

But for god sakes i am sick and tired of some folks just blowin off an idea or someones vision of what they want their car to look or sound like.

Your point is a good one in re: to tech inspectors at the drags,,, i guess those of us running fenderwells have to either deal with that or not race,,, i guess, at least that is what you are saying and i will take you on your word on that point.

do fenderwells kick up the dirt... yes...are they noisier than straight headers,, maybe, maybe not... but hell what kind of hotrodder really cares about a few decibels one way or another?

Come on AV8 enlighten me as well as others as to why you take such a dim view of this design, and please do so in more than a few short derogatory sentences.

i for one would really like to learn, if you have a valid point,, or is it really just a preference?

bob

18. Lionheart

Lionheart

Hey Tuck, I don't mind when ya calls me LIONBALLS but i hates whens ya calles me LIONBAWLS.... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Zodoff

Zodoff

On the seventh day,Tuck said:"Let there be NOIZE",
    And the old gods of Hot Rodding stood there shocked,watching the story repeat itself,with all its lack of sence..
    "Did the children of Hot Rodding not learn from our mistakes?"
    [​IMG]

20. hatch

hatch
    from house

Uh..Oh...somebody breaking the rules!!!!

Glass body, coilovers, fenderwell headers.....too bad Dan used a 6/71 blown 392 instead of a smallblock...he would've set a new record for an "Improper" hotrod [​IMG]

Attached Files:

21. hatch

hatch
    from house

What's wrong with THIS guy????? [​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. [I'm not going to KISS anyone’s ass on this thread period.]

No..but i can still smell your's over here...ha...

seriously though...i think those pipes are sweet looking, not functional...well okay whatever...i won't care when i am there the first time the engine turns over, and the sound fills the shop. Right!...Right. build it dick..do it right. you know.. tok

23. k-member

k-member

It looks to me that the only true "fender-well" headers are on the 55 chev and the two Willy's so far. Like someone else said don't you have to have fenders to have fender-well headers. Just my observation, not tring to stir the pot.

24. NealinCA

NealinCA

[ QUOTE ]
    It comes down to a dumbshit configuration that most racing organizations and tech inspectors will send you home for having this scheme on your hot rod.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am curious about this. Having been born in 1967, obviously I wasn't there, but I always thought fender exit headers where the norm on "gassers" and such? Kinda like this...

[​IMG]

Did the rules change to make them do something like this?

[​IMG]

I am not trying to stir the pot, I am just trying to learn.

Neal...inCA

25. Anderson

Anderson

The REAL reason they were used...when you point the exhaust at the ground, the pressure of the exhaust pushes the front of the car upward. This moves more weight to the rear of the car giving it more traction, and also make the cars do really cool wheelies!! [​IMG]

Also, sometimes they are angled more to the rear, which gives the car some extra velocity [​IMG]

Ok, I'm done. [​IMG]

26. RC

RC

I didn't know you needed a pipe to "piss-off" people. I've been doing it manually all these years! [​IMG]

27. is it just me???

or is there anything more right than a 55 chevy with fenderwell headers?

ok AV8, i will cut you some slack,,, i will keep my fenderwell headers on my 55,,, and if i ever get to own an old roadster, coupe of rpu... i will stick with more traditional exhaust.... whatever that is??? at the time!!

bob

28. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

From what I understand I could always run turn outs If I were to run it on the track. (In case I have a shootout with rocky again)

Thanks for the pics, the Willys is too cool w/the tinted glass...

Mike Bishop, I feel like each post of yours is a hit and run...
    If you’re just in a bad mood that’s fine but if there is some valid argument I wish you would clarify it so that I would understand. I'm willing to learn. Teach me.

I haven’t had the chance to read your book yet. My roommate bought it and I paged through it thinking its cool guys like this are on the hamb. You were willing to take the time to share your knowledge base with the layperson, Enthusiast or professional. It’s documented. We all benefit.

I'm the type of guy to go and buy the new Ed Roth book first... so if it gives you some insight into my interests you would understand where im coming from. I think this is crystal clear to you by now.

Guess I never realized I'd be butting heads with you over a pair of headers.

The funny thing is I asked bob about this almost a year ago, if the guy making the headers was still around... It would be cool. If it happens that way it'll RULE. I do think its a MIDWEST thing... I think its something unique to the builder... even if they do piss people off that guy is an artist.

I think Tman hit it on the head in that post...

I don’t want build a "tame" cookie cutter hot rod.
    I see allot of cool roadsters, some of them look so uniform they should be in a calendar... I'm not building a fifties car because they are so restricted they remind me of my grandma's afghan blankets... might give you warm fuzzy's but Its just not ME.

Fender well headers scream ENERGY, they snarl at you even w/ the car not running. The sound is different. It resonates off the ground.
    Metal flake and cheater slicks, MAGS and imagination... there’s less restriction and more options. For the love of chrome...

It has nothing to do with scenes or function; it has everything to do with ART.

I shouldn’t have to explain myself anymore... the mere fact that im looked down upon by one of our elders had me thinking all day today... not about hot rods and fenderwell headers but the [RULES].

Ed Roth broke allot of RULES, he’s someone I look up to as a artist and car builder... I think I relate to him more because im driven by similar passion. Creation without rules. The urge to have fun and use your imagination.

Its like you’re telling me to draw inside the lines...
    Because that’s what you’re supposed to do.

If that’s what im supposed to do to get a blue ribbon at the county fair I would do it, but if its just for me,
    It’s in my blood to scribble...

Im done with posting replies to this... if anyone wants to add pics that’s cool THANK YOU I appreciate it.... if you want to voice criticism go for it. I'm all ears.

Bottom line is I don’t mind if you think the idea is wrong, but don’t insinuate that im lacking intellect for something that interests me, or that I may be making the rest of you look bad by my being a member of the hamb...

I stand firm in my convictions, but open minded to ideas...

-jeff-

29. hatch

hatch
    from house

Fuck the rules and fuck the people who wanna jam em down our throats..creativity is where its at.

30. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My only tip on headers is to buy a box of misc bends from Speedway or Jegs. WAAAAY easier than trying to use a tubing bender. A Speedway box of bends goes for about 100 bucks and are some damn nice mandrel bends. Usually plenty in a box to make whatever kind of header you want.

Cut and weld the bends into whatever you think is cool. The best way to cut em is a verticle band saw. A cut off wheel is a little hard to make the cuts 100% square.

Here is a shot of mine about 90% done. Yea, there not fenderwells, but it's better than nothing...-Aballs.