Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. I didn't want to sell my '50 CHevy. somebody offered me more than even I thought it was worth. I sold it. I bought a big hauling truck with part of the money and visited a friend 800 miles away I hadn't seen in 10 years with another part of it. I guess everything happens for a reason, and now I can put more time into some of the other clunkers I have floating around.

2. Thank you for answering without being testy. It was just a question and now I understand why someone would offer so much. You are a gentleman sir.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  3. 777

from Pasadena

I don't really think any of us that actually work on cars thinks their worth this much, myself included, it's those one up eachother guys that actually have too much money that do this stuff, they push the market prices up to stupid numbers and then just look at the cars. The "I've got it and you don't mentality."
    I've actually seen guys at the big shows who have their "handlers / mechanics" starting the car and describing the details to the judges because they know nothing about the car they own. All the while sipping Champagne, I don't even know if I spelt Champagne right, Ridiculous!

I read some of your other posts and found we actually see things similarly. It would be a pleasure to shake your hand one day Sir.

4. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

When I was about 10 my pops had his tbucket that was my whole world at the time.The car was the center of everything me and my old man did together and I idolized it and my Dad(more my Dad of course,but I was a kid and thus not to bright) ,anyways ,my Dads biz tanked and the bank was calling the notes on all the properties (house and shop) and things where really bad,a guy came by the house one day and offered my dad way to much money for the bucket ,he came in the house to get the pink and tell me the car was sold.I understood but was obviously upset.He walked back outside and told the guy he couldnt sell the car after looking at me,I dont know how he did it or continued to keep things a float but that was my Dad. By the way he became extremly close friends with the guy that couldnt buy the car in the following yeaers,mostly becuse he respected him for what he did and cause my old man was the type of guy that since he had wasted the guys time went out and found him another bucket and helped him buy/transport it. I sure miss him!

5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

6. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Got this 66 Ambassador 327 ragtop from my Dad.
    Wicked ugly car!
    But dad would kill me if I ever sold it. Of course, I'd only get 2 or 3 bucks for it, on a good day...

7. HAHA! Shirt stays with the car....

8. Mac_55

Mac_55

Nope . everything is for sale under the right circumstances. I may have poured blood and sweat into it , but if the family is in need then i just gotta remember , gm built thousands upon thousands of em and i can always start over.

9. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Just bringing to the top again for those that have come on board and missed it before.

Many good accounts of rides that have meant so much to whole families and passed from generation to generation.

Sometimes, it's a lone wolf thing like me not knowing if anyone will carry on and keep my ride behind me. But I know it's very good therapy for me to just get out and shake off the work and world of the day in my special ride.

How about you?

10. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Bringing to the top again to catch all the new people who've discovered the forum recently. Looking for more inspirational stories of Hamb rides that make this work for all of us.

Cold today, no heater in the car, but went out for a 150 mile ride today to meet other Hambers and enjoy the therapy of the road.

You too?

11. FLATHEAD VICKY

FLATHEAD VICKY

This will never be sold. I've had crazy offers and turned all of the down.

Attached Files:

12. pila38

pila38

After fifteen years of dreaming, I'm never selling this one (barring unforseen circumstances). Then again, I don't think anyone wants this heap.

Attached Files:

13. jesse1980

jesse1980

My 1963 pontiac Catalina, 1 of 320 built with a 421 4speed, marlin blue. Will get pics soon

14. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Guys often say they want to buy my 34 3 window - the problem is they want it at a bargain price. Ain't going to happen, although I would sell it for what I think is a reasonable price. I understand that we all want to get a car or parts at a good price for us, but if you really want something that has a high market value, very few seem to step up to the plate and offer what the car is worth.

15. Karrera

Karrera

This may seem a bit silly to the die hard hot rodders but my 1967 Land Rover Series IIA is the last car I'll part with. I made the mistake of selling it once and was lucky enough to track it down and buy it back over fifteen years later. It's undergoing a full frame up restoration and will look like new when I'm done. I bought this for the first time in 1973 and sold it in 1978 - got it back around 1994.

[​IMG]

I have a long history of holding on to stuff - I still have the 1972 Ossa I bought new, another 1966 Land Rover I bought in 1978, and the Porsche that I bought in 1971.

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

^^ Partial to silver vehicles, I take it? :)

17. Can't have my Stude!

Attached Files:

18. jacplumb

jacplumb
    from new jersey

19. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

My 37 Ford wagon. Dad bought it in 38. I learned to drive in it in the early 60s. So it won't go anywhere.

20. All mine can go at anytime except the current project or the one in waiting. Those change every 18 months or so. Once I have a year on a vehicle I am willing to part with it. Have sold many, none at a profit. Maybe I need more storage?

21. Amen to that!

22. 64ONEOFF

64ONEOFF
    from Md.

I have 2. My 64 fairlane that I have had since I was 16. And my 64 Impala that my grandfather left me when he passed. He bought it brand new, and its been garage kept since it was bought. It is 99% original and almost perfect inside and out....There isnt a price tag on either one. Guess I am to attached.:)

23. I never posted on this thread before because I always thought I would sell anything if the price was right. But now I have a ride that can't be bought. After selling it 25 years ago, I got my 32 Ford coupe back. Never should have sold it and it won't ever happen again. It will be left for my kids to dispose of when I am gone.

Attached Files:

24. blucarspeed

blucarspeed
    from oregon

will pass it onto son.to many memories cash can't replace.

25. olskool34

olskool34

My 29 coupe in my avatar will never be sold. I let it go once and didn't sleep for two nights before contacting the guy who I traded it to and begged to let me have it back. He agreed and I have never felt the sense of emotion I had, even my wife said she had never seen me like that before. It is not going anywhere.

26. mopar210

mopar210

mine is o/t but ive turned down some big "smoke" many times in the last 36 years

Attached Files:

27. j hansen

j hansen

I have owned Fat Gretel since 1999 and restored and fixed with her the whole time.
    Shes acting up sometimes but with a little love and a lot of money she works again.
    I have been offered 3 times more than i gave for her,but i dont think i ever can sell her.

Attached Files:

28. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never really thought about it. The 37 will be done this year and then on to the 34. We don't have kids so they will be passed on to my little brother. But, if something interesting comes along in the next few years, the 37 could be on the block.

29. I'm kinda late to the party,earlier I did post a comment about there may come a time when we will be forced to sell a car which we originally thought would never be sold.

I have turned down some stupid money for my '32 sedan since I was able to buy it back last Fathers Day and I'm not sure who was the fool,,but I'm not destitute so I don't have to sell.

The '54 Ranch Wagon is the one that won't be sold during my lifetime and I suspect my wife feels the same,,it's been in her family since it was new and I would love to see our oldest granddaughter (Hannah)become the caretaker of the car when we are gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. TexasDart

TexasDart

I won't sell my Dart...just go ahead and offer me stupid money...just go ahead. :)

But seriously my wife is even worse than me about this silly car.

Attached Files: