Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

i would sell anything and everything for my family cause with out them I wouldn't be where i'm today

2. n847

n847

It might be an ugly duckling to everyone else, but my uncle gave it to my dad and I with the stipulation that it had to be owned by a Henderson for ever, and if I ever wanted to get rid of it I had to give it to my dad, brother, son, or back to him...Needless to say my son will be getting it someday!

The day I got it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How it looked as of September!

[​IMG]

I'm looking foreword to owning this car for ever, and probably being pissed at how my son wants to build it! I'll never be able to thank my Uncle Richard enough for his generosity, and I don't want you to think he was a guy who had a ton of money to blow, or projects coming out of his ears...He just really wanted to see my dad, brother, and I enjoy the car together and knew how much I would appreciate it! I'm really looking foreword to getting the car down to his neck of the woods this summer with my dad, and tossing him the keys to take it for a drive! He's got a beautiful 68 Buick Skylark and I can't wait to go out cruisin with him!

3. skyrodder

skyrodder

Mine couldn't be bought until my house was about to foreclose, then I had to sell it

Sent from my iPhone 5 using TJJ

Attached Files:

4. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Both my cars could be bought even though some parts on both go back to my first
    racing days in 48.

Attached Files:

5. fossiltin62

fossiltin62

My folks bought this 1934 Graham model 69 supercharged eight in 1937. Traded in a 1936 V8 Ford on it (yes, you read right) that they'd bought new. Said it was the best move they'd ever made on a car. This happened because the Ford had mechanical brakes and in the winter snow and ice would pack up around the "wishbone" (brake equalizer). Just about got them killed in hilly PA where I was raised. I was brought home from the hospital in the Graham in 1942. After the war it got parked behind the barn, replaced by a 1949 Packard Custom 8. I dragged it inside in the early 50's, and half-assed restored it the early 60s (didn't know jack shit about painting). Then in the late 60's did it right. It isn't for sale. (Of course, I've really never been hungry either.) When I'm looking up at grass roots it'll be up for grabs, but won't matter to me then.

6. Amen to that. I consider myself very blessed with the family and possessions. And although I still live paycheck to paycheck, this coupe ain't going nowhere. :cool:

[​IMG]

7. 46mercury

46mercury
    from livonia MI

Mine's not worth enough to matter. It's stayin' no matter what.

8. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

My four year old's wagon is priceless, I had a guy offer me about 800 cash for it and i said no

Attached Files:

• 123.jpg
      123.jpg
      File size:
      363.9 KB
      Views:
    • 125.jpg
      125.jpg
      File size:
      300.1 KB
      Views:
    • 121.jpg
      121.jpg
      File size:
      458.7 KB
      Views:
    • 124.jpg
      124.jpg
      File size:
      482.2 KB
      Views:
    • 119.jpg
      119.jpg
      File size:
      250.8 KB
      Views:
    • 118.jpg
      118.jpg
      File size:
      380.7 KB
      Views:
  9. ^^^^ Now that's BOSS right there :cool: ^^^^

10. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Thanks again one and all for all the accounts of why your ride is special. It's easy to see that the rides built for reasons other than trophies are at the top of the list................

11. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Saw this one quite a few times. Been to the hotdog cookin a time or two. Good to know it stayed in the family.

12. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

Love the hi-boy version. swap%20stuff%20pumpkin%20run%202011%20hershey%20005.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg Wonder why???

13. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I think I'm gonna keep my kustom. It took some effort to get one. And I like it... :)

[​IMG]

--mika

14. jazz1

jazz1

Not selling my truck,,I built,,too much time invested and not really anything else I would rather have,,sold the 'bird in the garage I'd had for 25 years, just did not use it and buyer paid twice my reserve.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  15. ezdusit

ezdusit

I searched twenty-plus years to find a '32 Model PB Plymouth sport roadster. It's taken me another 12 years to get it to this point. I can't see selling it at any price.
    [​IMG]

16. I will never sell my truck,my grand father bought it new in 53,I use to play in it and ride in it as a kid,he left it to me when hed passed away in 2006

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • FARM.jpg
      FARM.jpg
      File size:
      474.3 KB
      Views:
  17. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

I've mentioned this elsewhere a few times but my dad bought this 41 Ford pickup in the late sixties at the request of my older brother thinking they could fix it up together and my brother learn something along the way. The truck was completely disassembled and sometime later my brother lost interest.

The truck moved from the East St.Louis area to Southern Illinois around 1971 in pieces and in various places around here until about 1978. Most of it was stored indoors but the cab was almost always outside and shows the most wear.

I began playing in the cab and daydreamed of driving and being an adult and wasted many hours doing so. After my dad realized I had a lot of interest in the truck he offered it to me telling me that when I got a little older and bigger we could finish it. My dad had acquired a set of 40 Ford passenger car rear fenders and fender skirts thinking of modifying them for the truck and prepped the hood for paint and that's as far as it got.

A couple years later (early 1980's) my brother decided he would like to finish the truck and asked dad if he could take it home and start on it. My dad said he would have to run it by me as I had shown interest in it. My dad told me that when my brother finished it that he would take me for rides in it and asked if it was ok. I reluctantly gave in and my brother took it to his house.

My brother reassembled most of the truck and hacked on the x member a little to accommodate a later engine and trans combo. Soon after, he was pressured by his wife to clean house and he sold the truck to a close friend with the understanding if it was ever sold that he be notified first. My dad was very displeased by this and was upset about it for years.

In the early 2000's my dad found out he had cancer and only had months to live and upon the family being informed my brother vowed to get the truck back and promptly did so. Fortunately the truck was stashed in the corner of a shop and had never been touched. His friend had many other projects and never done a thing to it. It did cost him much more to buy it back than the price he was paid for it in the early eighties.

My brother has a 55 Chevy he has enjoyed since the seventies and some years ago picked up a 50 Ford which is one of his dream cars. He also has a 47 Chevy pickup that dad helped him chop and he wants to finish it. After deciding he'll likely never get to the 41 we made a deal for me to get it and finish it. I am not that well off financially or physically but I am motivated and will see this through. I have already bought a set of 37-39 Ford headlights for the truck and a 39 banjo steering wheel.

I want to go traditional but I am torn. I have a 68 Ford Ranger with a 302 /3spd manual, "9 rear etc. All the driveline is fresh and very strong and is tempting me to toss it all in the 41.

Attached Files:

• mine.jpg
      mine.jpg
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Sonicjagstang

Sonicjagstang
    from IL.

I have read a LOT of good stories here by the way.

19. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Here are my two that I wouldn't sell no matter what. The first is my 1954 Chevrolet. It was bought new by my great- grandmother. She quit driving in 57 and the car then went to my other great-grandmother when she wrecked here Studebaker. When she quit driving in the early 1980s the car was given to me and I did a cheap restoration on it. It was my first car.
    The other is my 1934 REO Flying Cloud. I am the third owner- 1st 1934-1959. 2nd 1959-1999, Me 1999-. It had about 50,000 guaranteed original miles on it. It has NEVER been restored. It was my daily driver for years. I have pictures from the day it was bought and the oil change records from day one to 1999.
    I wouldn't sell these cars to save my Mother. No way, No how.
    But, in 2004 I suddenly found my self with a sick child with major kidney problems. The REO was sold off. In 2009 a similar incident occurred and the 54 was sold. I still miss the cars, but things happen. If I had had more money in the bank, the cars would still be here.
    These pictures are of me in the 1980's with the 54 Chevy and a picture of it the day it was sold- I made it into a factory convertible by then. The picture of the REO and myself is the only existing photo of the car now due to a recent fire.
    The 54 is currently on the Dallas Craigslist for sale again.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

20. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I will never sell my truck,my grand father bought it new in 53,I use to play in it and ride in it as a kid,he left it to me when hed passed away in 2006.

You can't buy anything with that kind of spirit already attached. It took several generations to become that special. And the spirit of those special times and people will stay alive as long as you keep it.

How can you put a price on that?

21. i will probally pass it on to my grand kids?/ or to my nephew who at 5 years old is already a hot rodder

22. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sonic.............

Go ahead and get that pick up on the road the best way you are able with what you can get.

The Hamb is all about traditional rodding and that's what the main purpose and focus should always be. But if perfection is the only way to be a part of this grand site, the whole thing would be a whole lot smaller.

Yours won't be the only iron without a flattie................OK?

23. 2Hep

2Hep

Here's my daily driver....You should see the '56 Oldsmobile in my garage... but wait- no pictures yet, she's not ready for public.

Attached Files:

24. sweet!!!!

25. Zandoz

Zandoz

A lot of amazing rides in this thread...my hat's off to all of you.

Way back when I thought my MG Midget was something I'd never part with. I'd spent years rebuilding it. One day right after I graduated from college someone knocked on the door and offered me an obscene amount for it. At first I said no, but then I listened to my dad's "it's time to settle down and get a real car" sermon and took the money. The guy's girl friend totaled it less than a month later. I've regretted selling it for 32 years.

A lot of vehicles have come and gone since, and I've always been mindful not to get too attached. Now the health is shot and I've not even driven in a couple years, but I'm still an armchair gear head...one who's become obsessed with old Studebakers and early 50s Mopars. The obsession is to the point I'm tempted to buy an old jalopy just to say I owned one...and sit in and dream of what I'd do if I still could. I'd probably want to be buried in it.

26. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Zandos............

As long as you have a way to do it, go for it. A very dear friend went totally blind, but didn't give up his love of cars. He worked on them from memory and got it done. He could tell what was wrong with a car better than a lot of sighted people. When he wasn't sitting in his cars and enjoying them the way you mentioned, he really enjoyed being in the front seat with someone else driving what he loved.

He is now gone from us, but I drive one that belonged to him and it's very special............

27. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Gotta be some new members on by now with cool stories to add.

My pride and joy just got clobbered at an intersection. When your ride is as special as this one is to me, it hurts to see them damaged. Just like when a dear friend gets injured..............

28. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

29. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Bringing to the top again to let all the new people coming on have a chance to share special stories.

Sometimes things happen that let you know just how much your ride means to you. Mine was wrecked into recently. It was a real heart breaker and stress over hoping I could get it back to what it was before. Had to change a few things up to get it back. But like a loved one that might get scarred in an accident, you still love them. The worry is over and I got my ride back and still love it too.......

Attached Files: