Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else building old dodge/plymouth other mopars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wayfarer, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Rev.Jackson

Rev.Jackson

Thanks the trade is going good its just getting my shit inline and getting my car to ok . I work nights and it make wheel'n and deal'n damn hard sometimes. But I totally dig your ride its going to be sweet when your done.

2. Yeah, actually I DO drive it with the horn on the roof, but SLOOOOWWWWLY (in parades and at car shows :D ). No BS, ask anyone in Newport News VA, that car IS my daily driver - rain, sun, snow or shine! 250K on the clock, the AC blows cold, and the satellite radio sounds great...

THANKS! The 49'ish Dodge truck was saved from a salvage yard up in Richmond that has since gone away. I am having a ball cutting up the Dakota and thinking and planning the cab swap out though! I've never done anything even close to this in all my years of building and restoring cars. It's coming along, but too slowly for me!

3. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Amen to all of the above. I am leaving the flat 6 in my 42 Dodge business coupe,but changing out the fluid drive for a 3-speed floor shift tranny from a 48 Dodge pu. The engine is getting two carbs in a Edmunds intake,a Edgy finned aluminum head,3/4 cam,and split exhaust with glass packs.

If you have never heard the sweet sound of a inline 6 with a split exhaust manifold,check out these videos. Pay attention to how quickly the car gets up to highway speed in the first one without the guy even hitting it hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Tdi4QZjb0

Who needs a stinking radio when you have music like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VttNQzV9SNs

BTW,both of these cars belong to guys on the P-15/D-24 list,and both are powered by flathead inline 6's.

4. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Yikes! Can I see more photo of that chopped car?

5. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

Ok,I saw your DeSoto at the Nostalgic Drags in Petersburg last summer. My favorite car of all there,and the only one I took photos of. Went to the car a couple of different times to talk Mopars with you,but never could find you there.

A pretty,pretty car that has to be seen in person to be appreciated.

6. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

How come that thing sits so low?

7. Mr63

Mr63
    from Gilbert Az

thanks will see what I get done this weekend .

8. moparjack44

moparjack44

Arthur, "if" you are talking about my DeSoto, thank you very much for the nice compliment.

I cut the front coils, lowering blocks on the rear. I had to put air bags on the rear to raise it up for vacation travel. By the time we loaded the trunk with luggage (and cooler), and put our 105lb Golden Retriever in the back seat, was hitting bump stops in the rear.
    Sorry I missed you. Since I live in Southern Virginia, hope we can get together and talk MoPar sometimes.
    Jack

PS .. COOL VIDEOS, unbeatable sound.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. Mr63

Mr63
    from Gilbert Az

It's not my buddy photoshopped it for fun. It's still stock height for now. It will go lower but might not be that low.

10. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

That first clip is my car, a '50 Plymouth... the second is my ARCH RACE RIVAL Don Coatney's 48 Plymouth.

More of my '50 here...

Pete

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
  11. lowbuckers

lowbuckers

I know gentleman kinda late but I'm in the process of deconstruction on my 47 desoto coupe will be posting pics soon just minor things to do to it (spindles,disc conv,etc) and drive the beans out of it the rod I got now works but the wife wants something comfortable and with a top.

12. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

[QUOTE=moparjack44;4872101

>>Sorry I missed you. Since I live in Southern Virginia, hope we can get together and talk MoPar sometimes.<<

Maybe we can meet at the Nostalgic Drags in Petersburg this coming summer? I sure hope they run it again. Really nice track and beautiful area,and maybe they will have the bugs worked out by then and better luck with the weather?

>>PS .. COOL VIDEOS, unbeatable sound.<<

Ain't THAT the truth! That sound is why I'm leaving the original 230 6 in my 42 business coupe.

Plus,it's fun to spank the flathead Ford V-8's with a inline 6.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  13. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

[QUOTE=moparjack44;4872101

>>Sorry I missed you. Since I live in Southern Virginia, hope we can get together and talk MoPar sometimes.<<

Maybe we can meet at the Nostalgic Drags in Petersburg this coming summer? I sure hope they run it again. Really nice track and beautiful area,and maybe they will have the bugs worked out by then and better luck with the weather?

>>PS .. COOL VIDEOS, unbeatable sound.<<

Ain't THAT the truth! That sound is why I'm leaving the original 230 6 in my 42 business coupe. Plus,it's fun to spank the flathead Ford V-8's with a inline 6.

Know anybody that has any flathead 4 Plymouth or Dodge speed equipment?

14. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

And it took my post of your video from youtube to bring you out of hiding?:)

You should have posted the video of you making your runs at the start of this thread to inspire more people to keep their flat 6's. Most people have never even heard one run.

15. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Have you seen the Montana Boys Fast Four Special?

http://www.fastfourspecial.com

Pete

16. moparjack44

moparjack44

The guys that put it on last year, are doing it again, but in Hertford NC this year. Another bunch is having another one at Petersburg this year.
    I have info on both (somewhere), and will try to get it to you if you want to PM me your email address.
    Jack

17. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

Arthur, where have you been man? LOL, check out post #79 on page 4 of this thread... from 2003 :D

Most of my utube clips are 3-5 years old, several of them have been viewed nearly 15,000 times...

I think it's fair to say that my little flatty has inspired damn near every other hopped-up mopar flathead six on the net in one way or another since I started posting the build in 2001. When I started mine, I found only one other hopped up flathead six after combing the net for months, and it was a single picture of a finned head and dual intake on a '48 Plymouth over on the Inliner's International website (now, these engines seem to be everywhere, and I think that's great.) That single picture was the reason I kept my flathead, and started searching for speed stuff. Before I saw that picture of the '48, I had no idea that these engines could be cool. I couldn't find anything else on the net about these engines at the time, other than some stock rebuild articles from the POC. One lead led to another, and I got in touch with Earl Edgerton and bought the last EDGY head of his first production run. Earl didn't have a website at the time, and was selling his heads word of mouth. I think it was '03 that Rodder's Journal published this '33 Dodge Panel truck, which I still drool over... when I saw this, I couldn't wait to hear mine run.

[​IMG]

I started making the utube clips so that others could hear the sound, and see that these engines could perform like any other car. I've heard countless times that they wont get out of their own way, and can't keep up with modern traffic. On the contrary, my car will cruise 70-75 all day long at 2500 rpms with the overdrive, and I've driven it through every imaginable traffic and road condition there is. I drove the car 3300 miles through seven states to the Tulsa Buried Belvedere event a couple of years ago, and it didn't skip a beat.

I've had as much fun with the e-mail I get several times a week about my engine as I've had building the car. These cars were sent to every corner of the globe, and I get correspondence from all over the world from guys who love these cars as much as I do, wanting to do something similar. It's been great fun for the last 10 years.

Pete

18. moparjack44

moparjack44

Blueskies,

WOW !!
    That is one grrrrrreat looking engine.

Jack

19. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

Here is my 47 business coupe. Body is stock but fatman front stub, mustang II front, triangulated 4 link rear, ford 9", 5.7 hemi & auto trans.
    Frame just went out for powder coat so I will post a few pics as it goes back together.

Attached Files:

20. Mr63

Mr63
    from Gilbert Az

Dude that engine is bitchen. What carb set up is that ? am I seeing that right 1 carb per 2 cyl. ??

21. blueskies

blueskies
    from Idaho

If I remember right, the carbs on the '33 are Stromberg 94's. It's hard to see in the pic, but each carb has a little elbow neck that attaches it directly to the intake port on the block.

Pete

22. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

No,but thanks for the link and the story!

Arthur

23. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

24. VanHorton

VanHorton

chop top w/ reshaped door tops, sectioned, shaved... lowered :D

[​IMG]

25. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

some scans from my little books collection
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

This is old. 1927 dodge brothers. A real resto-rod. I started restoring it, ten years later i took it apart and here it is , ten more years later. This is my first rod build

Attached Files:

• 271.JPG
      271.JPG
      File size:
      201.9 KB
      Views:
    • 27-2.JPG
      27-2.JPG
      File size:
      204.8 KB
      Views:
    • 27-3.jpg
      27-3.jpg
      File size:
      526.8 KB
      Views:
    • 27-4.jpg
      27-4.jpg
      File size:
      543.2 KB
      Views:
    • 27-5.jpg
      27-5.jpg
      File size:
      542.6 KB
      Views:
    • 27-6.jpg
      27-6.jpg
      File size:
      529.8 KB
      Views:
    • 27-7.jpg
      27-7.jpg
      File size:
      534.5 KB
      Views:
  27. Rev.Jackson

Rev.Jackson

Thats what Im tailking about that looks sweet man. I made the trade yesterday and Im loving the car .

Attached Files:

28. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

I'll throw in here too....I have a '50 dodge pickup with stock front axle and upgraded disc brakes and custom adjustable -replacable tie rod ends....now I want to go power rack and pinion steering....anybody done this...I have a whole volare undercarriage to draw from for parts....mostly need the rack setup and how to install...thanks....jim W

29. Mr63

Mr63
    from Gilbert Az

Well I'm def sucked in to keeping my 6 and trying to get a set up like thAt. I totally understand the rare issue it toke me like five years to get the match to my single port dual carb set up on my 63 bug. Pm me the info on that motor if you have the time. thanks

30. Arthur

Arthur
    from NC

I don't blame you. If it were me,I think I would be tempted to just paint it and drive it the way it is.

That car is really in nice condition.