Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone? ~ DynaBeads ~ How many ounces do you run in your bias ply Firestone's?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by modified, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's really bead related conversation so it's on topic...and @modified has opened a very popular Bias Ply bead related thread and furthur more your problem may in fact be beads we don't know.

46international and modified like this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

I have noticed that there aren't as many "Coker tires bouncing down the road" threads lately. I've also heard rumors that the Coker molds have been improved in the last year or so. Anyone know for sure? So, I don't know if the Firestones are actually better than they were a few years ago, or if the less complaints can be attributed to lots of guys giving up on getting the Firestones to work, and trying other tires instead.
    Also friction shocks are hard to get to work properly.....had some on my modified and swapped them out for tube shocks. With my older Coker front tires, they bounce less with the tube shocks. I didn't spend too much time trying to get the friction shocks to work better as it was just easier to install the tube shocks, but with the way they are built into Modified's hot rod, it might be worth the effort to try to get them to work better. I knew mine weren't doing anything when I removed them and nothing changed!
    Back to the beads.....

modified, 46international and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This technology we are discussing may have pacified some of the issues you are discussing @a boner.

However 46 international says his tires are new.

I again went out today to a cruise night and accelerated and looked down to glance at speed and was again surprised at the smooth transition to 65 mph.

I equate it to a modern car and being surprised that your actually going way faster than you think you are because it doesn't feel that fast.

I am still waiting for the weight removal tool and may remove the driven weights to see if it further improves or worsens.

I have hesitation due to the fact it's pretty darn good now...but I'm curious.

I will mark and record weight and position and reinstall if it worsens.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of other reflections. When you get a New Bias Ply tire you must mount it and balance it conventionally. Why? To determine it is actually balancable. If you put the beads in a tire that doesn't run balanced despite all bead attempts will the warranty be honoured. It would be a stretch to think all tires are good.

The other thing is you can't spin balance a beaded tire. So if you fill a tire with an appropriate amount of beads and it doesn't work you are kind of limited to checking it.

The other thing is most fellas don't have the luxury of a tire shaving outfit. Has anyone talked to Coker about Bead balance versus warranty. You may have to drain the beads and roadforce it for a printout that verifies a negative tire if beads don't work. One member had to produce this to get a warranty replacement.

The above relates to a hypothetical new tire purchase warranty situation.

I have had a positive bead experience...I am fortunate and the other dynamic is I have no warranty.

modified and 46international like this.
  5. Now your just playing with fire! But I hear you and it would be nice to get the weights off the wheel. That is, if it still runs smooth.

Stogy and modified like this.
  6. modified

modified

I am very interested to hear your results when you remove the lead weights!
    I received more DynaBeads yesterday to add to my tires.
    Presently I have 3 ounces in the fronts and 5 in the rears and still not happy yet with the balance. I don't know whether to just add a couple more ounces or maybe sneak up on it an ounce at a time.
    I would like to do this soon but it's 9:00 am and already 95° here in Phoenix so I'm not going out today to crawl around on the garage floor to get my tubes to ingest more beads!

OK, 8:30 pm still 95° but went out and put another one ounce in each tire. It will probably be a couple days but stay tuned for the test drive!

Sent from my SM-N900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    Stogy likes this.
  7. I have run dynabeads in my roadster from day one with no lead weights. 5.50-5.75/16 fronts (radials) - 3.5oz. 235/85-r16 rears, 5 ozs, all tubeless and I used their valves. I have had no problems with tire wobble and guys who have run next to me say there is nary a whisper of a wobble, and I am running 4" wide 5s at the moment. If the car has set outside in cold weather, you might need a trip around the block or two to get the beads in their initial position. Bumps, potholes, etc can alter things for a short second but then all is well. I have run 85 for an extended period of time and I am presently coming back from the Adir Nats in Lake George - I have not noticed any difference at any speed.

Don't know if what I have done is right or wrong - but it works ....

8. modified

modified

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. well, I have to say the thing that has made the most difference is tire pressure, I increased pressure to 32 psi and it now runs smooth. I did stay under 40 mph until the tires got warm but even at that speed it was smoother than before. All in, I spent about $400 on this, new king pins but the old ones were worn so they needed to be replaced, Two new Firestone tires, I wanted to go to the 550-16 anyway and the balance beads, I guess it's good to have your tires balanced. The thing is, most people have said that less tire pressure helped them, so I guess each car is different.

Stogy, modified and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. modified

modified

I am interested in what you say about tire pressure, you have a Model A, correct?
    Does it still ride OK @ 32# ?
    I would think on my 1600# car it would beat me to death but next time I have the car out I will start at 30# because of the weight and go down from there!
    We'll see what happens!
    I have called Coker, Performance Plus and others who sell these tires and everyone says 32 psi for an A or Deuce but my car is lighter than average.
    I am going to assume there is a reason for a 32# recommendation, tire construction, etc.!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    46international and Stogy like this.
  11. I drove it into work today 50 miles one way and it was as smooth as glass! even before the tires got warm. I guess the higher pressure keeps the flat spot to a minimum. Drove down I95 at 70 mph and was fine. bet the neighbors don't like me now, starting it up a 5:15 am.

modified, brEad and Stogy like this.
  12. sorry I did not answer you completely, Yes I do have a Model A, it's a '30 two door sedan. Does it ride ok with 32 psi? it rides fine but even if it rode hard that would be better than the way it was. I have LT tires on the rear and that is where I get the harder ride. I would start off with 32psi on the front, you can always pull over and let some out if you don't like it.

Stogy, modified and brEad like this.
  13. There is a chart on the dynamic balancing website stating how many ounces of beads for a tire size range. Yes, they are "guidelines" but, as you know, I am running 1/2 ounce more than what the dynamic balancing website calls for. And doing just fine.

Also remember, I was told by the wheel company that straightened my mid 30s Plymouth rims on my present project that the new tire machines, ones that grab the rim from underneath, may distort wide 5 rims, artillery wheels, and even our old steelies. I was also told that, whenever possible, mount our tires on these old rims using the older tried and true tire machines. Maybe this could be possible, maybe not but I tell the one shop I go to for all my tire work to be gentle using their newer tire machine and that he could damage these older rims. They are pretty good in honoring my request and lunch is always on me. Small price to pay vs having a bent or distorted rim ...

Just some food for thought to throw into the mix ...

brEad and Stogy like this.
  14. BJR

BJR

That's a real interesting subject, maybe should have it's own thread. Do the new tire machines damage wire spoke wheels? Rather then hyjacking this thread I will start a new one.

15. modified

modified

Our weather has finally turned, cool 75° day today. Time to get out the Modified.
    After having the tires shaved I have installed 5 oz. of DynaBeads to the front and 7 oz. in the rears.
    Took the car out on a nice open stretch of highway I like!
    30# of air up front and 28# in the rear. No choppy bounce in the rear anymore, overall very smooth!
    Seems like it rides better with higher pressure in the tires!
    Ran up to 80 mph (gets scary after that) and this is by far the best this car has EVER driven!!
    I'm pretty happy with it!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  16. A Boner

A Boner

How about some pics!

17. modified

modified

Anything specific?
    This is the car our mutual friend Alan Wisch owned for a few weeks!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  18. A Boner

A Boner

How about an action shot at 80 going down the 17! Or anything with some beautiful AZ scenery. How's Al doing.....what's he driving lately? Saw him back here a couple of times this summer, trying to wheel and deal on some rides.....Al doing, what Al does.

Stogy likes this.
  19. modified

modified

Al recently bought a white '32 roadster pickup from Wisconsin and had it shipped to Arizona but I don't think he likes it much! tempFile_2018-08-09-14-56-27.jpeg Screenshot_2018-08-09-14-56-54-1-1.jpeg 20170525_113800.jpeg 20170525_113826.jpeg 20171118_112038.jpeg 20181006_173825.jpeg

46international and Stogy like this.
  20. modified

modified

brEad likes this.
  21. stude man 88

stude man 88

i just bought a set of l78 coker radials www and they are total crap, both tire shops say they are 3/4 inch out of round and both have balanced them with no improvement, my 55 chrysler shakes at 65 and get violent at 80. ill never buy a stinkin coker product again. moving on to diamondbacks for my other cars.

modified and Stogy like this.
  22. Thanks Modified for the updates and progress reports ....some threads get started and you never find out what happens in the end...;)

modified and 46international like this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you contact them you obviously have warranty? Your rims are verified true? You do have to cross the t's and dot your i's.

modified likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have nearly wound up the Hotrod year and despite the fact I may get a run or two more before the white stuff ends my season I ran with 3 ounces per front Firestone Champion (Piecrust) including the roadforce applied leaded hammer driven weights still on.

My weight removal tool did arrive to pry off the weight's recently to give running just beads a chance which is the recommended method. I did not get around to that trial.

It is colder outside now and that seems to affect ride a little as the tires don't warm up as well...and even the engine doesn't perform as well either due to running colder.

So again as others have alluded the beads smoothed out the unbalanced ride to a tolerable degree...so it made my driving this year somewhat of a different experience...better and worth it...;)

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just another thing I would like to mention is this thread is about balance bead application in Firestone Bias Ply Piecrust tires.

Your negative experience was with a Radial Tire without any application of beads to try and pacify the problem.

So it really doesn't even apply to this thread.

I will say that another Hamber had Coker tire problems an ran a Roadforce balance provided Coker with the printed verification of non compliance and was given new tires under warranty.

I believe before slandering a company you are obligated to exhaust your options given in good faith.

brEad likes this.
  26. BJR

BJR

" both tire shops say they are 3/4 inch out of round and both have balanced them with no improvement, "

3/4" WTF!