Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone driven a street car with a Long V Gate Shifter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul Y, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Paul Y

Paul Y

Looking to change out my exisiting Long shifter and am considering the V Gate Shifter.

This shifter engages the gears going up the box sequentially, to shift down you have to lift a handle positioned in front of of the shifter.

Just looking for anyone with experiance of this unit as to how easy it is to use in a street car and can you shift down gears individually or does it just go back to 1st?

Spoke to Long but not any clearer.

Any advice guys??

P.:D

2. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

I have a vintage Mr. Gasket 4 speed vertical gate. You will get used to it after a few miles. No big deal. To be honest I think the shifter is actually easier to use than a regular 4 speed shifter because you don't have to wiggle the handle around to get it in the right gear. You just push the handle forward or backward.

You don't have to life the handle when going from 1-2, 2-3 or 3-4. Lot's of guys used these on the street back in the day.

To down shift, lift the handle and push the handle forward. You don't have to go to 1st.

I am not familiar with the Long shifter as it maybe different than the vertical gate.

I have some vintage NOS units with the correct mr Gasket boots if anyone is interested.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  3. Paul Y

Paul Y

Thanks for the review.

Having looked again at the shifter I dont think it is going to work with y set up as I have a bench seat in my 56 and with the curvature of the stick I dont see how I will be able to shift the detent singlehanded.

Will just have to use the H pattern with the rod ended selectors.

Thanks again,

P.