Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone done big part-big tank electrolysis?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by PackardV8, Dec 7, 2013.

1. PackardV8

PackardV8

I've done some bucket-size electrolysis on tools and small parts.

My machinist came by a huge power supply from a chrome plating tank. We're not ready to dive into plating, but the thought occurred to me it might work to de-rust larger parts.

Anyone ever done really large parts?

jack vines

2. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Worked in an aircraft fastener plant in Burbank that would service tanks other parts in a well ventilated shed on the side of the plant. The power supply was large with a voltage adjust and a pile of diodes to make a crude DC. The operator said that he could get the voltage by the sound of the power supply. There must have been quite a bit of oxygen and hydrogen produced but operating in the open allowed it to work safely. There must be tons of surplus switcher power supplies out there but it helps to know what voltage you're looking for as a starter. Good Luck: Fred A

3. metalman

metalman

Search for a thread on here from "BigM". He dunked a whole 57 Plymouth in a homemade vat, powered it with a battery charger. I was there and saw the car in the vat, heard it came out pretty good.

4. HotwaterFord

HotwaterFord

The instructions for rust removal by electrolysis was outlined in a Street Rodder magazine article, three or four years ago. Use sodium carbonate, and a ten volt battery charger. If you can't find the article e-mail me. I will attempt to dig it up. Melvin
    [email protected]