Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone custom build steel glass channels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Nov 30, 2020.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Curious if anyone here has custom built steel glass channels for their car doors?

On my 31 tudor I've thought about making quarter glass solid and rear window roll up and down.

If I follow that thought I figured to build a nice glass steel channel to actually follow around the top and sides of the rear glass opening and tack weld into place with a 60's-70's style rubber track to slide into the channel for the glass to slide in.

In fact if I can get a good plan of attack I may do it to the quarter windows instead.

So I'm thinking a thin steel u channel that I can some how roll curves in and fit to glass openings but looking for any ideas !

Anyone know of a good place to buy steel channel from?

Thanks guys any insight would be appreciated !

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Lloyd's paint & glass

Lloyd's paint & glass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey stone, check out northern Ky street rods, they have an Ebay store. Type in something like universal run channel, I'll see if I can find a link after I type this. As for the metal U channel, I'd hit the scrap yard and see what I could repurpose if you don't have a break to bend some angle and spot weld it together maybe? Be right back...

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Lloyd's paint & glass

Lloyd's paint & glass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't find their Ebay store. But that's who I buy run channel from.

4. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

More than one way to skin a cat for custom applications. You could bend square tubing to shape and then cut the side out that needs to be open. A second option is to cut the shape you require out of 2 pieces of sheetmetal and then spot weld another band of sheetmetal between them to make the third side. Like Lloyd's said, there is then universal run channel that is used inside the metal channel.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Thanks guys !

Appreciate it help! Gives me some starting points.

dana barlow likes this.
  7. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

I had some made up by the local sheet metal shop, worked perfectly.

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Is a U-Pick junk yard near by? Or better yet,just some dumped car or trucks. Strip out window parts needed an mod them to fit your need. The cost that way is some time. May find some extra part that would be handy as well.

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I have an upholstery supply shop in town. I walk in and tell them sort of what im seeking, they hand me some samples to pick from, and out the door I go with what I need. Window channel with fuzzy non scratch lining is among their supplies, you can work a bend into it even.

10. squirrel

squirrel

A friend built these frames from a few sets of 55-59 Chevy truck window frames I gave him. Just took some cutting and welding, then he had them chromed.

is this what you're trying to do? or something else?

frame.jpg

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Dana: no, no salvage yards with in about an hrs drive but its late model and they pick the parts for you.

Squirrel: no, I'm wanting the steel channels that like go down and inside the door that the rubber fuzzy pops into that the glass slides in.

And again thanks gents for all the replies !!

12. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Mr48chev thats what I'm looking for.

Like to find long lengths or a way to make my own !!

13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought mine from Restoration specialties. Call and ask to speak to someone. I don't think it's in the catalog. They have the channels they can sell you.

https://www.restorationspecialties.com

14. squirrel

squirrel

I had to make a channel for the 27 T coupe I had, I just put some sheet steel into a brake and bent it. But it was a straight run.

15. Try Restoration Specialties, they have a lot of universal channel and often dimensions of what they sell.

16. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Our local glass company, who do auto glass replacement, have a huge selection of window channel felt (fuzzies)
    options. I had to replace them on my '61 Chevy, and didn't like the high prices they were asking on the web.
    They come in painted edging, or chrome edging, and all sorts of widths and depths. Metal and non-metal, jus bend to fit. Hopefully you have a shop
    like this near you.