Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone can do it: Shooting Flames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by varodder, May 25, 2011.

1. varodder

varodder

My buddy Roger brought his Model A over for a flame session last week. Roger is a trusting soul as he had seen my two previous attempts on my 35 coupe and on a Harley Davidson I flamed a few years ago (actually more like 7 years ago). I hadn't touched my airbrush since then except to do a few touchups. Of course he wasn't going to make me (or is that a trust issue?) freehand tape the flames like I did on my car and the Harley. He brought some templates he picked up from Eastwood and some 10" masking tape (Sticky Mickey). At least that gets me off the hook if he didn't like the results.

The A required quite a bit of sanding as the finish could best be described as scotch grain flat black. There was quite a bit of orange peel to deal with. I made Roger do most of the sanding.....nice guy that I am.

[​IMG]

Once we (Roger) got the sides reasonably slick I started the taping.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I taped up the template.

[​IMG]

Then a quick coat of Krylon.

[​IMG]

Pull off the template and here's what you get.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. varodder

varodder

Next you get a good Xacto knife and follow the template.

[​IMG]

I shot a base coat of PPG Corvette Yellow and followed up by outlining the flames with Hugger orange.

[​IMG]

Here's how it looks after airbrushing..

[​IMG]

Here's what you end up with when you pull the tape.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Now the hard part... pinstriping the line!! Looks cool, nice color!

4. varodder

varodder

Next step is to get your friendly local pinstriper (in this case Igor from Va Beach) to outline the flames.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is the result...

[​IMG]

Then your happy buddy leaves his mark on the street as he heads down the road...

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oMDnCMyWJeU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="349" width="560"></iframe>

5. varodder

varodder

I would say that anyone that can apply tape, follow a line, and spray some paint can pull this off. I was so out of practice that I had a couple of runs on the drivers side which I let dry, cut the runs with a razor blade, and re-shot the yellow base. Roger is going to sand the rest of the black smooth and put a flat base coat over the whole car. He is happy and I enjoyed doing it for him. (He left me the templates and the tape ;-) )

6. mj40's

mj40's

Looks good! By the thread name I thought I was going to see another video of flaming farts. :D

7. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

8. varodder

varodder

Dave,
    I don't know about Igor but my son graduated from the University of Virginia the same weekend as Williamsburg so I was in Charlottesville for that. Igor was packing heat....kind of like the Iron Lords guys down in Charlotte. Looked like a nice piece.....he should take me out shooting sometime;).