Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Anyone built their own burn off / ash oven?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fstarocka, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

Im looking at used burn off pyrolysis ovens - i rebuild a few motors and some are bad (baked oil inside)..

Wondering if anyone here has built their own oven or used these? I have 110v only but a fair amount of outisde space..

curious - there are alot of ppl building their own ovens for various processes..

2. oldolds

oldolds

A few friends have built larger ovens for powder coating. It would be very expensive to do resistance heating on 110 volts.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

the oven in my house goes to 800 degrees for self cleaning on natural gas

stillrunners likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think 110 is going to get it done. If I was building something I think I'd use a burner from a gas oven in a box big enough to hold a block .
    Thinking back, If a guy could find an old GI field oven in a surplus store I think it would hold an engine block.

5. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

How hot does it need to get?

6. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

800f max - im looking at some options but wondering if this is all too much and just take it to another shop and pay em 100 bucks a pop with all the rot assembly parts-

between a block internally coated in baked black oil and babbit material cleaning i wish I had 220v and a big space, its so time consuming and i would like to capture as much pollutants as possible to take to appropriate recycling (oil/sludge). I do this anyway but its already really tedious for gear oil changes / etc-

forking out near 10k for 2 machines is also a little out of budget. Im contemplating building a high pressure water cleaner with a tankless water heater and propane tank too-

Someone told me a comm dish washer with the tankless setup is the hot ticket too..

7. rtp

rtp

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Got just the burner for ya B5C71FF4-1092-45CA-931C-96437006F39F.jpeg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Fstarocka

Fstarocka

Well I picked up a RS500 wash cabinet yesterday at 1/3rd price.. But the block in question has so much black carbon oil deposits form excessive blowby and old oil - i might have to literally use spirits and a drill and brush kit to manually clean it- its UNBELIEVABLY bad.. caked on inside block etc. Just finished honing it out for the wifes 393 stroker and really want to get the bottom end done -

I doubt a cleaner will even get this off - burn oven probably the only option :/

10. As mentioned , I would take it somewhere and have it done.
    Vic

Hollywood-East likes this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have a burner just like this one, and mine's even missing a single nozzle also. Mine's not cracked however. Picked it up at a farm stuff, second hand store, to use as yard art. Every time I see that Moonshiners show, it makes me think of what I could use it for. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Saw it laying in a scrapyard and had to have it. Even with the crack it never fails to bring a smile and a "That's cool!" remark when someone sees it.