Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anyone built 34 ford garnish moldings from other cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodored, May 19, 2017.

1. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Have heard that if you chop a 5W you can use '36 or '48 garnish moldings as a base rather than cut up an original pair. Has anyone tried this, and do you have some photos?

Attached Files:

2. I couldn't find a decent back window garnish for my chopped 34, five window. I had one but the bottom of it was trash so I used the bottom piece from a 36 sedan garnish to complete the molding. Worked out ok.
    I used 34, deluxe four door quarter moldings and cut them down for my coupe. I also found using 34 tudor sedan door garnish moldings meant I didn't have to splice in a piece when chopping it. Using a coupe/four door garnish [shorter than a tudor] means you'll need to add in a piece....makes more welding. 34garnishquarter.JPG

3. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

For the quarters and I suppose rear if you aren't scared of doing some slicing and dicing you can use 35-40 moldings and nobody would notice. My brother did it 25 years ago for a guys chopped 34 5W.
    For the doors, you could probably use the 35-40's too, but they would not have the special 33-34 bottoms so they would be noticable to some guys.

4. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

The curves on the 35-36 cars looks substantially different from the 34s. Did you have to adjust for this or did it matter after they were chopped?

5. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

Plus the rear window garnish is flat on the bottom like a 34 coupe, so you wouldn't have that curve like a lot of guys have when they try to use '34 2 door sedan rear garnish in a coupe.

Attached Files:

6. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

You'll have to find the closest arcs to use from the moldings plus probably do some pie/slice cuts to tighten or flatten the curves. Thats why I said you need to do slicing and dicing.

7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't have any pics, but I built my 1/4 and rear window garnish moldings for my 5 window from random moldings I found on Ebay. An unchopped car would be a much bigger pain in the ass, but for a chopped car, it is pretty simple, cause you were going to cut them anyway...

-Abone.

8. Firecat7

Firecat7

think I have some quarter moldings here somewhere, built from 35-6 stuff.

9. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I had a similar problem on a '34 Series 40 three window coupe. A friend had garnish mouldings from a '34 Chevy four door sedan. The windshield molding fit perfectly. Screw holes even lined up. The front and lower rear fit with the inclusion of 2'' of molding from a rwar window. However the radius of the top right corner was much to small. Fortunately I found a very rusted 33 Chevy three window coupe that the right corner were salvageable , So with a little brazing I had a set of garnish moldings.