Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anyone build An Austin Seven (1930-ish) Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, Sep 9, 2022.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've always been drawn to small cars and small motorcycles. Recently I came across some photos and info on Austin Seven cars that were built in years that included the 1930's. Now, I'm not talking about some big-tire Austin Bantam drag car....just a tiny street driven hot rod. Anyone have any thoughts about or photos of such a thing.

Last year at the Frog Follies I saw a car, maybe an English Ford, that was like a 3/4 or 7/8 scale '34 Ford. To me, it was just a fascinating hot rod....so different, so small, but still all hot rod!

Lynn

chryslerfan55, Ned Ludd and AHotRod like this.
  2. 62rebel

62rebel

There's a small element that digs these "specials", I'm among them here. Not every Anglia or Austin has to be a gasser!
    I'm working on a project to use my O/T twin cam Fiat engine in; sumpin' small and light but weather tight.

3. lake_harley

lake_harley

What's the small project car that you're working on? Post photos if you would.

Lynn

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Probably an English Ford Model Y. Used to be a shop in Tidewater VA that built fiberglass Model Y sedans...always liked them!

chryslerfan55, Outback and AHotRod like this.

5. AHotRod

AHotRod

Lynn,
    are you referring to the Austin 7 Ruby? I love the little-cars personally. I found some pictures I thought I would share.

austin 7 1.jpg

austin 7 3.jpg

austin 7 2.jpg

6. goldmountain

goldmountain

I bought mine about a decade ago and have made a number of u-turns regarding components needed to build the car. It is so small that nothing really fits well. However, I keep on buying and trying things for it. Scan-180702-0001.jpg

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That orange one is killer! If you look closely, it has 4 lug wheels, probably MII or Falcon, probably 13" or maybe 14"
    A small chop, 2" at most to lose the top heavy look, a small 4 cyl like a Chevy II or Pinto 2300 with a 5 speed and a rear from a small car like that would be fun, fit well, and not break the bank.

8. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Here's mine. Stock 75" wheelbase, huffed V8-60, T-5, 4:10 8".

20220813_083117.jpg

10. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

I have a '36 Ruby ARQ. Probably not destined to be a rod though.

IMG_20200916_192226021.jpg

I am working on a Lakes Roadster-esque Rod using mostly English Ford bits.

IMG_20220316_233057616.jpg

I too, am fond of the smaller things :) Mike

11. I drifted into the small car lane also. I have 3 hillman huskies waiting and a few o/t pinto motors (and T5s).

Might start looking around as it seems the small euro cars a difficult to find at least around here. Try to get one that's complete as parts are hard to find also, even if you don't use them you can sell off the unused stuff.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    bchctybob, Ned Ludd and AHotRod like this.
  12. brading

brading

Here is one.
    Small Fry001.jpg Small Fry002.jpg Small Fry003.jpg Small Fry004.jpg

Attached Files:

13. lake_harley

lake_harley

The Austin Seven I stumbled upon is a touring. I wish is were a Ruby, or any one of the "enclosed" models. My plan would be a fairly mild build if I buy the one I found. Probably a slightly warmed up, and hopefully compact 4 cylinder, perhaps a 3 cylinder GEO engine, or if there were room a 2.8L 60 degree V-6. Narrow a 8" Ford to keep everything inside the fenders, probably 14" wheels, a different front axle and spindles to get front disc brakes, etc....... Hm-m-m, sounds like I already have it built in my mind.:rolleyes: How'd that happen so quickly?

Thanks, everyone for the photos and comments. Glad to hear I'm not the only "small car" crazy out there.

Lynn

chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  14. cabong

cabong

Having seriously vintage raced a a Crosley based Almquist Saber bodied "Special", I can tell you that pound for pound, you cannot find anything that provides more fun, and adrenalin rushes.... Mine was V8-60 powered, with a Ford RAD-W1 4-spd, non-OD. It weighed in at a whoop'n 975 pounds, and would clear the first straight at Laguna Seca at 110 MPH. I think that classifies the wee bugger as a "Hot Rod"...... sonomahistoricsbfox035-M.jpg

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love Crosley's ..... I found this one in a barn in Iowa 21 years ago, was drag raced with a 426 Hemi w/tunnel ram and a Torqueflite in the later '60's.

46657-BA%2525231.jpg

Outback, hfh, GlassThamesDoug and 3 others like this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

lake_harley: If you do get the car, a Geo 3 cylinder fits great. However, you need to find clutch, flywheel and transmission from a Suzuki Samurai. Bolts right up. The transfer case is divorced from the transmission so no problem there.

Okie Pete and RollinRock like this.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley

I have to admit, after seeing the photos posted of Austin Rubys I'm having 2nd thoughts about the Austin Touring I stumbled upon. The Ruby is a cute little bugger, and the windows roll up too! I think my bride would prefer that.

Good to hear a Geo 3 banger is a potential fit in one.

Lynn

bchctybob likes this.
  18. SR100

SR100

I took a good look at a Ruby at the last car show I went to. Unless you and your passenger are remarkably skinny, there isn't room for you both, at least not side-by-side. The Ruby came with comically tiny rear seats. If you eliminated them and staggered the front seats, it might work.
    The Austin engine and the Geo are fairly similar in size. I suspect that the Samurai transmission is bigger than the Austin's though. Foot room could also be an issue.
    I've had bad thoughts about a Geo Metro Turbo engine in something lightweight.

19. lake_harley

lake_harley

I don't think the size of my wife and I would be a problem to fit side-by-side in a Austin. I'm only a bit over 140# and she's a very fit marathoner under 120# (I've not been told an exact number:rolleyes:)

After another night's sleep, the Austin Touring is loosing appeal. I'm thinking a closed car would offer a lot of benefit, especially considering my wife much prefers our Model A to our T roadster. I also think a closed car would offer more in terms of rigidity as more power, improved suspension and higher speeds are considered.

I have done a fair amount of searching to try to educate myself on various Austin models, but it's become rather overwhelming because they seemed to make a LOT of different cars and trucks. Just what model is this? It was labeled as being a '34 and appears to be a longer wheelbase than the '30 Touring I had been considering.

35 Austin.png

Thanks to anyone who can help educate me about Austins, or any other diminutive car that might be appealing. I once had a Crosley station wagon and now kind of wish I had it back.

Lynn

Outback, Okie Pete and bchctybob like this.
  20. wsdad

wsdad

lake_harley likes this.
  21. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

How about doing it like thy used to in the UK?
    4d870a516ddf38f9a7449b8d4141d138.jpg

22. indyjps

indyjps

I like the plan, consider compact trucks for drivetrain. 4 & 6 cyl with manual trans & readily available. Finding carb version or a newer one that can convert back to carb is the trick.

Way off topic for this board, but....straight 6 (4.2) or 5(3.7) from Colorado and Trailblazer, all aluminum, 250hp or more. Both bolt to AR5 manual trans from Colorado, would be narrow enough to fit the hood. Would need to retain "electronics"
    https://irate4x4.com/threads/atlas-...give-me-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.381956/

Front end, may have to get creative, or order a "Hot Rod kit axle" in a narrower width.

23. lake_harley

lake_harley

OK...the Austin Touring is not going to happen. The guy is a complete "arse".

I let him know this morning that I was going to pass on it because of distance (1,000 Mi.) and the cost to make a trip to see the car in person and potentially buy it. Included in his "advice" from his last text message....

"if you see pictures of a car the first thing you do is notice the character and stature of the seller if the seller is a noble and dignified man who is well to do the car is often the same as his station in life."

"Never buy a car from a young guy and never buy a car from a poor person because they simply don't take care if it."

There was a lot more, but I think that paints a pretty good picture of the "character and stature" of this seller.

He stated in another text, the car is 100% original the engine is in perfect condition but "the engine needs assembled", it needs a convertible top and new glass in the windshield, the interior is out of it, and some of the photos would appear (by the possible age of the owner in the photos) to be from 15 to 50 years ago.....seriously.

Since I'm on my small car kick I will keep my eyes and ears open for other possible candidates. If you know of something that might be of interest, please shot me a message, call or text.

Have a great weekend!

Lynn Winter
    (573) 286-3335

24. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^^wardrobe malfunction?:eek:

Lynn

1940Willys and curbspeed like this.
  25. C9D7B16B-EDD6-4E85-A52F-54210724709B.jpeg 5569B9A6-32D2-4D04-8E70-FE23613543F3.jpeg 36 Austin 7, right now it has a 283 with a single 4 barrel. I’m 6’3 and 245 lbs. it’s a lot more comfortable than my wife’s MG……but I enjoy driving them both.

26. brading

brading

In the early days of Custom Car Magazine there were a lot of wardrobe malfunctions.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    Jim the Sweep and Besty34 like this.
  27. Gofannon

Gofannon

28. Gofannon

Gofannon

29. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I was looking for an Austin A40, or Anglia back in 2010 to build a gasser, when I stumbled onto an Austin Eight. I was immediately struck by the size, and did some internet searching and discovered the Austin Eight was slightly smaller than the Anglia, and had a 89" wheelbase vs. 90" for the Anglia. The price was right, and the car was rust free, so I bought it, and began my build. Of course I constantly get the same question, or statement about it being and "Anglia" and have to correct people. Even with the Austin emblem on the grille and license plate frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Eight is a little more room inside for somebody whose 6 ft. tall. I've sat in a Seven and they're really cramped feeling to me. Even my Eight required a fair amount of setback to fit engine, which required seat setback also.

aussie57wag, hfh, Dean Lowe and 8 others like this.
  30. lake_harley

lake_harley

What year is your Austin Eight? I saw one while researching Austins. The doors are interesting on them in that the fronts are hinged suicide style and the rears are hinged in front.

Lynn