Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody want to buy some used head gaskets ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 28, 2012.

1. 35desoto

35desoto

How many woukd you like? I've got plenty from all my daughters everyday cars and i think at a pinch i could get you two off b/b Mopars
    Only problem is freight may kill the deal!!
    LOL

2. Toilet paper, tampons and condoms, you guys are sick puppies.

Anybody interested in some used corn ? Comes with the bare cob too.

3. WortRod

WortRod
    from california

I have some recycled beer if anyone is interested,also only 3 less than new!!

5. Wasn't someone on here complaining about some used headers they bought just the other day?

How about some used tomato skins, mixed with the used corn would make some real nice south west relish.

31Vic,
    There are some shim gaskets that do get reused. At least until they get a kink in them.

6. Benno............................................................................:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

7. Wow!....I thought I was demented!

8. Almost 2 months and they are still there..

9. All I can say is at least no one on the HAMB fell for it. ;)

10. NAS Backyard

NAS Backyard
    from Lodi CA

It would be "no insurance" instead of good insurance to use them. However I've reused the intake gasket (stamped tin ) with no issues twice on my Olds. Probably because of the tight tolerances practiced "back in the day". Didn't want to waste money on and old worn out engine. As of now it runs like a watch even with one low cylinder.

11. Yes but did you inspect the gaskets before you used them or did you close your eyes and hope for the best.

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

Anyone else remember an old Hotrod Magazine article about a roadster owned by Ed Isker...(sp) that had been stored for a lot of years, They pulled the heads off and then re-used the same copper gaskets (shims?) and it worked fine.

13. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. KS,
    Look at it this way. This morning I had left over fried fish for breakfast, Ok so I'm a little wierd. The fish had two things going for it, one I knew how left over it was and second I could give it a smell before I warmed it up. I probably wouldn't go to a restaurant and order left over fried fish.

Ed or whomever pulled the engine apart could inspect the gaskets prior to use, and they were already paid for. On the other hand Bill wants you to buy the gaskets that he has with a no return policy.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Yeah...having to 'un-torque' 'em, and all... lotta labor...

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

We used to re-use shim head gaskets at the drags...(SBC, Cad, Olds, Buick, Chrys Hemi)
    But never on a different engine, or opposite bank:

When we did, we'd coat both sides of the gasket with aluminum paint. (rattle can)
    Never any problems doing this, but when we were at the shop, they were replaced with new...

17. Mark68

Mark68

beaner, how could he have any used gaskets for sale if there is a no return policy?

18. bigbob55

bigbob55
    from Pittsburgh

The real laugher here is the price.....new they are $21.99, these used returned ones are $18.99 WOW a whole $3.00 savings....I doubt if I anyone would chance the used. Just goes to confirm some of the dedoops we have working in parts stores and now speed shops....who in the hell would buy used head gaskets to save a whole $3.00 and why would they even bother to list this if they knew what they were doing?

19. Larry T

Larry T

Apples to oranges, but you can reuse copper head gaskets. I read somewhere (so it's gotta be true) that Reher Morrison reused the headgaskets on their Pro Stocker.

I don't see saving a couple of bucks on used steel shim headgaskets though. Maybe they're just returns that have the packaging ripped apart----still not worth it.

20. Good point, but its no returns from the garage sale section

from scrounging around the "garage sale" there was an awful lot of used parts. Like someone took a whole car apart.

Thing is used Steele shim gaskets can be reused, provided the following occur first.
    You can inspect them
    You can't get brand new ones for 3.00 more.

21. Mark68

Mark68

Ahhhh,i get it now,sorry for the interuption.

22. Because he's a schister? read the entire listing there is a disclaimer.

We actually found out recently that he would not replace a broken new axle.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705471&highlight=cast+axle

Mike,
    The key is that nothing be kinked dented or crimped. We had reusable shim gaskets for the pro stocker when I was working for Donny. But I also carried a spare set, just in case.

Sometimes you can reuse a shim gasket and sometimes you cannot. I have seen them that no amount of copper coat (or aluminum paint) in the world was going to seal up.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  23. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

That's crazy... Altough i have seen Used Spark Plugs for sale at swap meets before... HAHA

24. I keep all my plugs when I pull them, in the back of my mind someone may need them someday for an emergancy. About every 4 or 5 years I either throw them all away or give them to someone who fishes with a limb line or a trott line.

That said some of the really old plugs are rebuildable and good if you have a car that needs a plug that is 3" around. :D

25. This Gasket Shim is Garage Sale priced because it was installed and returned.

Now ask yourself just why the fuck was it returned........... yea I'm willing to take a chance on a returned head gasket......na.............

26. Deuces

Deuces

This is a freakin' joke, right???