Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody used a "plug reading scope"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Jul 2, 2016.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

When I fired off the engine in BGII, my SBC powered '31 "A" Hiboy, in about 2011, it had been 37 years since I had messed with a modified, Hi Po engine, last time being back in my dirt track days. The use of unleaded fuel came along during that time. And that changed plug reading forever, lots harder to read now for me at least. And old age has also taken it's toll.
    Never used one of those plug reading scopes that BTW you can still buy @ Summit. So I'm wondering if the 6.5X lens and bright LED bulbs on the scope will help,
    Anybody got any experience with them

2. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Use one all the time on the race car. Can try it with reading glasses too. Unleaded and leaded read the same as far as the color ring on porcelain goes by the way. Oxygenated race fuel is different

3. I use one on aircraft plugs a lot. Best way I've found to get a good look at the insulator and seal way up in there...

4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Thx yall, for the replies, think I'm goping to ride over to Summit (20 miles) and pick one up soon. The plugs haven't been out of my engine since I started it after build!