Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody use GPS speedometer senders?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasoline Junkie, May 9, 2012.

1. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I've been seeing more of this and was wondering how these things work. Can these modules be used with my stock speedo? I like the fact that you can change tires/gears without throwing things off. Has anybody tried this setup?

2. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Boy, are you gonna catch hell from the traditionalists! :eek:
    ps: I'm thinking about one for my Classic Intsr speedo.

3. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

How come? Sputnik went up in '57- satellites are H.A.M.B. Friendly!

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, common for modern stuff to be justified for use from ipods on. just do your search online and install it if you need to.

5. Gasoline Junkie

Gasoline Junkie

I just saw an ad (On here actually) for autometer's module that they say ”works with any square wave speedometer”, would I be wrong in assuming that I'd have to use an aftefmarket speedo?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As much hell as we go through on a regular basis with trans changes, rear gear changes and tire swaps that setup is more interesting all the time. The good part is that unless a guy is brash enough to crawl under your car and check the side of the trans for the cable coming out he will never see or know the difference anyhow. It isn't something that waves a flag and hollers look at me.

After doing a bit of reading it appears that the Autometer unit only works with electronic speedometers and doesn't include a drive setup for mechanical speedometers. As I don't have any gauges that may not be a big issue with me at this time.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  7. lesabre59

lesabre59

I dont have a accurate speedo in my Model A, so i occasionally use a free app on my HTC Evo phone called "Radar Detector" it gives me an accurate speed, tracking done thru GPS sattelite and technically since its not permanently attached to the Model A it doesn't break the "traditional" rules

8. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

They should work great. I use a GPS enabled download on my phone called UlysseSpeedometer and it works great. It gives me the date, time, real speed, average speed, compass .... It let me know my stock speedometer is 15mph off.

9. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I use my GPS to do the same, check speedo