Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody still cruise?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoungeLife, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Joeyd

Joeyd

This thread gets me depressed. :(

I want cruising to come back! And Funk Master Flex shows to dissapear...

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

In Ohio cruising is still pretty alive and well. Sure you have the ricers on the old strip (Tuscarawas Ave) where my parents used to cruise but there are still some old timers out there too. There are cruises almost every night of the week within an hours drive. Then on Sunday nights everyone gets together at Arbys in North Canton. The best part is they have not advertised any type of cruise for probably 4 years and people just keep showing up! I don't think its so much of where you are cruising at but rather who you're with that matters.

3. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

True enough, but the only actual cruising action...as in driving from point A to point B and back, is the weekend of the Steel Valley Nats in Boardman. Don't get me wrong, what we have is pretty cool...:) But it'd be fun to have a scheduled cruise where everybody got their rides out and did some driving once a month or so.

Jan

4. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

True Jan

That's why I get bored easily at'em.

I'd rather drive a hour to one around Cleveland, stay for an hour and drive home.

There's nights I'll go to three different cruises. Stay for a few minutes at one, then split for the next one.

I have a short attention span:D

5. 53Nailhead

53Nailhead

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

BTW, I prolly saw ya in Sapulpa. I was in A/P school from 9-86 through 4-88 in Tulsa......

7. kennedy

kennedy
    from TN

Your exactly right thats what they do here in my town on weekends and go mudding. Nobody ever talks about hot rodding or anything. Nobody races. I'm the only one thats in to this stuff I drive my hot rod to town every now and then and then everybody acts like they know everything about it. Girls all the time wanting to ride ,but when you hang a good solid 2nd they start hollaring let me out. It sucks to be the only hot rodder in town. Somebody needs to move here.

8. 47-forvette

47-forvette

I remember my parents getting caught up in the cruise on Story (i believe) when it was the detour before they finished the freeway connections. We were just passin through on our way back to sactown.

9. 47-forvette

47-forvette

When I was in high school the cruise in Sactown was J street from 5th to 15th, 15th to L street and back down L street to 5th, and then right under the B of A underpass back to 5th. Didn't get crowded until around 10 am. The fellas I hung with always parked on the north side of J street between 5th and 6th whcih was a vacant lot below street level. The funny thing is that that vacant lot is now the Office building that I have worked in for the last decade. Unfortunatley the curise is no more.

10. Steve M

Steve M

Ummmm.....guys, the reason that there is no cruising where ever you're at is because you aren't doing it.

Every weekend during the season here in Wichita there is a Friday night and a Saturday night cruise in spot. I never go to either of those places without cruising the old haunts before and after hitting the cruise in. While I may see 150 cars at one of those cruise spots I rarely see a hot rod cruising the main drag the way that we used to.
    Yes, the cops can still write tickets if they see you twice in an hour, but I wonder if they would bother. Hell, if they followed me for an hour cruising would be the most minor ticket that they wrote. :D

11. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thers still stuff going on in tulsa,every tuesday&thursday they have cruisenight at the backstreet burger,and saturday at the sonic on brookside.allot of muscle cars / gold chainers.but better than nothing.i was at sapulpa allot from 86 on and went to claremore allot.the best was on brookside when webers was still in its old building .penningtons was still open.i was there for the last cruise at webers ,allot of oldtimers came out for that one.another good time was in dallas, forrest lane was crazy!!! tulsa cruise.com has allot of listings for era events...

12. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Actually, I hear the Green Parrot in Coweta is the happenin' spot in Oklahoma...I can't wait to scope it out on the way to the StrayKat500 in May!!

:cool: :D :cool:

13. Muttley

Muttley

The Fresno area is pathetic, there is nothing going on around here. :mad: :mad:

14. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Back in the early 70s we used to cruise downtown Freeport. 10 blocks down Main, one block up State, 10 blocks down Stephenson and then the one block back to Main on Locust. All the streets were one way, through the bussiness distric that was all well lit. The cruising would start between 8 and 9, after most stores closed, and continue through after midnight. Spent many a night down there.
    The first "gas shortage" just about wipped out cruising Freeport. The city also decided it needed to end then too, so they put a walking mall right in the middle two blocks of Stephenson.

Somewhere around 81 the local car club put together an organized and shorter "Cruise night" in downtown. They got the police and the city involved. What we ended up with was a one organized Saturday night criuse per year. They close off the downtown area to having only on entrance. The cruise starts at 6pm and runs until 10pm. They light up the parking lots, and charge a $3 parking fee for the whole night to park in the lot, parking along the street is free, and there is no charge to cruise. You can come and go as you please. For a while the city screwed with it moving the dates around and such, but it has survived since 81 with missing only one year because there was a tornado warning posted just before it was suppose to start. A couple of years ago, a couple local businesses got behind the "cruise night" and now there are several food venders, a 60s band, several other activities (this year they had a burn out contest, a jaws of life deminstration, and a few other things) and it has once again found a steady date of usually the first Sat night in August.

Last summer there was probably 400 cars that paid for the lot parking, the estamated crowd was 4,000- 5,000 people and there were probably 500 or more cars cruising all night. Really is a cool driving event. I will let you know when the official date is released.
    Gene

15. yo!von zipper! I remember those good ol' days cruisin "the loop in beeyuuutifull downtown renton wa."! :D last year at the "return" the city mutha oops,I mean fathers "let" everybody make one lap around the old circuit,along with the rest of the everyday traffic. wah-fuckin-hoo baybee! I remembera late 60's f100 with a chopped top and front fender ends and grillfrom a 66 Ltd,slammed on the ground and and fat tires all around. way cool:cool: But like someone else said on this thread"it aint happenin' 'cause we aint doin' it" I plan on driving my fifty chry. a lot this summer. I'm gonna be at goodguys in puyallup agian this yaer and i hope to see you fce to face there! Black primered four doors with flames are cool! at least to me. r.r.

16. I spent MANY nights on J st. had a green 58 impala. My kids cant believe we really could do something like that. They are blown away watching AG its a shame. It was good clean fun.

17. Bill.S

Bill.S
    from NW OH

Ask your mom&dad about the KozyKitchen that used to be on Tusc , back in the early 60's that used to be a good hang out.
    Canton was always a good car town.
    Toledo had the White Huts and if you had a real quick car you could always find someone to run at Dons over in East Toledo.

18. it's GONE and anything that resembles "a cruise" here is SAD. i think we took my friends A to hollywood once (via long beach) 2 circuits and the cops cut us off........we stuck out like a sore thumb. i remember when it took a tank of gas just to do 1 curcuit..........but really there never was any cruising spots durning my time, cruising was me and 1 friend.

DAMN how many of you hambers are from california? i keep reading stories about here from the 50s-70s.

19. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

Same over this side Kings Rd, Chelsea was the best from 75 to 95 then the euroboxes(ricers) finished it off. its kicked off again and its trying but nowhere near as good as the good old days......

20. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

I cruise around when I have time............Trouble is, I am pretty much alone, and all the ricers look up and think...."What's that old fart doin'?"

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional"

21. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

I can't wait for the warmer weather. If you have a car,and like to cruise(not park) CRUISE IT! I'm gonna cruise till the tires fall off! I don't care what anybody else thinks. Cruising is alive,if we just do it. They can't eat ya (police):D Sparky

22. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Holly's in Okc was the place in the bad ol' days. Then the cops started hangin' out all the time and it slowly died away.Now it's a McDonalds.
    There was plenty of racin at the old defunct Willow Run Raceway.If you wanted to drive over the low water bridge and put your money down to run for cash.The OHP shut that down.
    Then the racin' moved up onto Choctaw Rd. That lasted till some guy in a Road Runner lost it and took out a few cars and spectators.Got shut down.
    39th street was the cruisin' spot for the longest I guess,but pretty much the domain of the high school crowd.Still could find a real hot rod or 2 and scare up a race now and then up into the late 70's.
    Don't know about now.
    when the NSRA started coming to OKC you could always find some cruisin and burnout and the occassional race action over on Reno and Meridian,But once again the big clamp down.It got to the point that if a cop saw you light 'em up they would impound your Ride and leave ya walkin'.
    Today they have a Cruise night over in Walters Ok once a year with a burnout contest and anything goes for cruisin,from ricers to full on race cars. The first year they did it the drag strip there was in full swing and the cops were standing on the corners squirting water for people to do burnouts in.
    As of last year you could still do a burn out on the cruise from a rolling start,but your ass was in dutch if you stopped and did one.
    There weren't very many real "Hot Rods" there last year and most of those stayed parked all evening,so the cruising was mostly late model crap,trucks with 20+ inch wheels and Ricers that have seen The Fast and The Furious too many times.There was a little fun but mostly pretty boring stuff.
    Maybe we could get some HAMBers there this year and rip it up a bit;) .

:( T.OUT

23. elrobo818

elrobo818

YEA... I STILL CRUISE.

[​IMG]

24. Blown Monte

Blown Monte
    from Delaware

[​IMG]Newark Delaware Hope too SEE you there.

25. Great...another ZOMBIE thread.