Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody sell a car then later regret it so much it haunts you ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gtokid70, Oct 6, 2017.

1. gtokid70

gtokid70

wicarnut likes this.
  2. Not haunted but I have sold several that I wish I still owned.

Stogy, wicarnut and 55styleliner like this.
  3. 1961 Poncho

1961 Poncho
    from Las Vegas

1963 Corvette SWC. Bought it after I got out of the Air Force in 1967. Red with 327 dual quads. It was awesome. Sold it because my ex wife goaded me into selling it because she was too short and couldn’t push the clutch in all the way.
    This was in 69.
    In 2003 I bought another like it only this time it had a 383 stroker and 6 speed Richmond that I put in. What a wild Restomod! [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

j-jock and wicarnut like this.
  4. Bought a new 427 Ford in '63. Sold it with 9000 miles on it a year later. I still have dreams of that car.

36 ROKIT and wicarnut like this.

5. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought a very nice low mileage '64 Galaxie 427 R code in 1970, but life forced a sale in the '80s, something I never thought would happen.

36 ROKIT and wicarnut like this.
  6. Who hasn't,the most recent was my Deuce pickup,I jumped the gun trying to get the cash to buy a car I really wanted and the owner decided not to sell, hind sight is 20/20. HRP

wicarnut likes this.
  7. A bunch of em.
    But they were just normal used cars way back then.
    Imagine a beautiful flawless 6 yr old Shelby Mustang Convertible, 429 I think, I'm pretty sure it wasn't 428, it was huge, on a used car lot for $1,700 when everyone was dumping big engined ANYTHING for really cheap to buy new Chevettes. (I bought a Jeep wagon instead)
    $900 383 4spd Roadrunner. average used car.
    I had a barely new 1968 Chevelle with 14,000 miles I bought for less than $1,700.
    A 53,000 mile bright red 63 Supersport Impala with black interior, buckets, floor shift, reverb speakers. Girls loved it, and said it was so cool, but I thought it was a heavy sled. I forgot what I paid, but it was just a few hundred.
    A 1957 Chrysler HEMI like new with only 30,000 miles for $300. One of my favorite cars.
    There were more...
    Yeah, I wish I would have kept ANY one, or two, or three of them, but how many people could afford to keep their "trade in" cars in storage every time they bought a car?
    Not many people can do that.
    I wish I had any one of them today....

why be ordinary?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    wicarnut likes this.
  8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Maybe the '59 Chrysler New Yorker ... or the '50 Olds 3 speed wagon ... or '57 Dodge Coronet ... or any one of the red & white '54 Chev hardtops .. or the '35 Olds 4 door ... or ...

wicarnut likes this.
  9. southcross2631

southcross2631

A couple of them .A 19 faded memories.jpg 69 Charger 500 with a Hemi and 23,000 miles that I bought off a used car lot in Colorado Springs during the energy crisis for $1800.00. Sold it when I went overseas in the army to a guy who made a pikes peak hill climb stock car out of it.
    My 62 Vette 327-340 2 tops and less than 40,000 miles. Had to sell to pay off student loan. Got a whole $5800.00 for that.
    My 66 Chevy II station wagon that had was special ordered with a 327-350 ,4 speed and 4.56 12 bolt.
    Matching numbers stock eliminator car.
    Finally my wheelstanding Plymouth/Willys gasser that I had to sell during a divorce. I have built 4 cars since then and they have not replaced that feeling when I drove that car.

wicarnut and 32fenderless like this.
  10. Yea, I miss a bunch of them mostly OT here.

wicarnut likes this.
  11. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It lives in Germany now, but I think about this car every single day. Getting ready to build another one just like it...

[​IMG]

-Abone.

Sky Six, Baumi, wicarnut and 4 others like this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

Yes. Not a car, but my 30 ford roadster body.

13. Bikelessbill

Bikelessbill

1969 SS396 4sp Chevelle. Paid $500 for in high school. Just a old used car in 1979. Sold it for $275 in 1981. Was in really good condition. What a du

wicarnut likes this.
  14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

If the decision is based it on what the car is worth now as to when I sold it probably 50-60 I wish I had kept.
    I made good coin on them back when I sold them so they are just past history.
    If the decision is based on emotional attachment the answer is none.
    Loved cars and all things car related for over 50 years.
    Fall in love with a car several times a year.
    Fall out of love after I get it.
    Have yet to find 'THE ONE' , the lifetime keeper even though the car I like the most is common as dirt.
    Still chasing the dream,running down the rumors about something somewhere

wicarnut likes this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The only time I miss my T Bucket is when it's 76 degrees, sunny and a light breeze from the north. Luckily, Houston only gets a hand full of those days in a year.

wicarnut likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not haunted about it as it is all finished and sits in a climate controlled garage but I do regret selling the 51 Merc coupe that I had for 32 years after I bought it when I was 16.
    The car is really nice while the guy didn't do it the way I would have but a trip to the chrome shop with a few pieces and a wheel and tire swap and get the 57 Caddy hubcaps back with it that I let go with it (he had them on a 56 Chev last I saw) would fix it right up. He paid me a pretty stiff at the time price for it, put a ton of money and even more work in it so I can't complain too loud.

wicarnut likes this.
  17. Gman0046

Gman0046

I've done a lot of dumb things. Selling cars I should have kept is one of them.

wicarnut and dogwalkin like this.
  18. slowmotion

slowmotion

Every time one of these threads comes up, damn. Short version, 16yrs old, 1969, '62 Belair bubbletop. Damn....

wicarnut likes this.
  19. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

nope. I have had dozens of cars and trucks. they are metal, plastic, rubber, and glass.

my friend scott used to say "dont worry about the swaybacks from wayback" he was talking about girls, but girls, booze, cars. all trouble if you let em be trouble.

20. 51 mercules

51 mercules

21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In looking back, selling our old cars is what life is asking of you. Sure, if we had the money to be able to keep them, that would have been fabulous. But, something said, sell it because you need something to move along in your life. No regrets, it was just part of our history. In late 1964, I needed to sell my first car, the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. It was totally a fun experience, but, it had used up its life span for me at the time.

I also had to sell my first street/race car, the 1958 black 348-280 hp Impala set up with a C&O stick hydro in it. (one of a kind...) Of course, it had a ton of memories to go along with the car. But again, its usefulness (800+ miles) with a high performance motor and even 3:50 gears would have played havoc with the car/long drive.

I could not drive them back and forth almost 800 miles from our house in Long Beach to San Jose to go to school. So, we got a brand new 1965 El Camino. That 65 El Camino lasted 7 years @ 125k miles without any major work done and just kept going where I wanted to go. It was a fabulous car for the times. GM reliability at its finest.

Jnaki

When I sold my 65 El Camino, it was again, outliving its usefulness as our family was growing and a single seat (and no storage) was not going to cut it. We certainly were envious of those that could keep their old cars while moving on in life, even then. But, struggling and making it work is what family is all about then and now.

What about the 1940 Willys Gas Coupe? Slight front end damage, but, that was pristine from the cowl back? That certainly should have been a keeper, but our friend, Atts Ono said that it held bad memories of what it used to be. So, nothing was kept from the remains. Life moves on in the chess game and we all get to go along with it...like it or not.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, forget about that ol '55 rag top I towed home and restored......focus on the tow vehicle.....yeah, that '59 Ranchero.
    Bought it for $500 in the early 70's held on to it for a few years and let it go for $700.
    I want it back!
    Can't explain it, don't know why, I just miss the heck out of it and think about it often. Wonder where it is now?
    55 chev cv1.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  23. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

yep.sold my 30 coupster to a guy in new york to finish building my "dream" 29.still have the 29 with about 25 thousands miles on it but i want the 30 back 116069.jpg IMG_20160723_170801.jpg

Stogy and wicarnut like this.
  24. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

No regrets.. Buy or build another.. I would rather have something I haven't had than something I already had.. But hey, that's just me....

25. 5window

5window

Had a '64 Triumph Spitfire I sold in college I dearly would like to have back.

26. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I just miss having a roadster.

I missed it almost immediately after selling a '31 jalopy I had.

After I finish my '29 I won't be without one again. Might not always be that car, but I won't be without a running roadster again.

27. earlymopar

earlymopar

Yes, a 39 Ford Deluxe 2Dr Sedan with Pontiac 389 I had in 1970.

The other one that "haunts" me is one that I didn't buy due to not having the $ at the time but in reality should have borrowed money from anyone to get it. A running Lotus 23B with one of the few Westcott sports racer bodies made. Could have bought it for $4k in the early 80's. The new "owner" added a reproduction Lotus 23 body was added and the car sold for $90k (nothing else had been done). After a full restoration, the car sold for $160k another year later. Just a dumb move on my part. -EM

28. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I bought a pair of 33 Plymouths once, one was in the Bonnie and Clyde movie, a 4 door sedan. The other one was a beautiful red coupe with a 50 Plymouth engine and overdrive transmission. When I decided to move to Missouri, I sold both of them because I didn't have a place to put them. I miss that coupe and I have never been able to find another one like it that I can afford. That was 38 years ago.

wicarnut likes this.
  29. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

My Dad's purchased-new, black '55 Chevy two door hardtop. 235 ("...cause their new V8 wasn't gonna be any good" lol) He gave it to me when I turned 16 in 1970 and I was a FUCKIN IDIOT and didnt want it. I wanted a van - sheesh.

He sold it for $450 via the "Pennysaver" - daily fish wrapper. I've been looking for it ever since. Original California yellow letters on black plate no. GXB909. Yeah, I filled out a form with California DMV a few years ago and they had no record of it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    wicarnut likes this.
  30. I had a 64 300hp coupe with knockoffs, and I traded it for a 67 Olds Toronado in 1969. My wife still hasn't let me forget it. I really miss that car.

wicarnut and 302GMC like this.