Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody running a SBF 302 with three-deuces?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meteor, Jan 29, 2007.

1. meteor

meteor

I'm still new to all this but would love to have this setup on my 57 Meteor. Anyone have any pictures? I have a bunch of questions...

Are there many options for intake manifolds? I have found only one; http://www.ford-y-block.com/289-6V.htm (from Blue Thunder). Why are the 'risers' (?) stepped on this particular intake? how hard would it be to find a used one?

Also, what would be a good series of carbs to run with this setup? Is a 3x2 setup difficult to maintain, or once it is tuned right it always runs great?

What is the best 'how-to' manual to get on multiple carbs?

thanks!

2. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I seen some complete packages. You probably will have to get financing to pay for it.
    I never seen one even remotely affordable. I notice they dont have a price up for the manifold.

3. Rewired

Rewired
    from Fresno

haven`t got it running yet

Attached Files:

4. meteor

meteor

Looks great, I sent you a PM. thanks for the photo.

5. John1964

John1964
    from BC, Canada

Ford only had 1 3X2 intake set-up for the SBF 289. Finding a complete original (with carbs, linkage and fuel log) will be hard. Most Blue Thunder dealers have the reproduction intake. The best place to purchase would be Carl's Ford Parts http://www.carlsfordparts.com/ . Carl's also sells new "correct" holley carbs for this set-up. The complete set-up is pricey at $1795.00, ready to bolt on.

also check out
    http://www.gerlecreek.com/documents/tptechnical.htm
    http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/options/cobra/C4DZ6B068.jpg

6. john1964 is correct. Ford sold the aftermarket 3/2 setup as a cobra add-on. The blue thunder manifold is suposed to be a correct repo. There is a company in New Mexico called "pony carbs" I think that makes a setup that uses Ford 2 barrel carbs instead of holleys. it's less money but won't look the same. If you're looking for a stromberg setup. there isn't anything close. What are you trying to accomplish?

7. Frank

Frank

Yeah, I have an old Street Rodder issue interviewing Pony Carbs showing how they modify the Autolite 2100's to fit. They were very careful to leave out key details so the average joe couldn't just duplicate it from the article.

8. meteor

meteor

I saw a 57 buick wagon with a nailhead motor that had a 3/2 setup and it looks killer. That look under the hood of a fifties car is what I would love to have in my 57 meteor wagon. I realize the 302 won't come close in cool factor but I have the motor, its a good one and I've been looking for ways to give it a vintage flair. I will run the motor as is with my 4-barrel carb for a while and get some experience tinkering before I upgrade to the 3/2 setup. I can't justify the cost right now just to have that look when I haven't even run the motor as is yet.

thanks for the info and feedback

9. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

i was thinking about sbf with a dual quad intake with the vintage speed 2 duece to quad adapters. and running 4 dueces. does anyone know if 4 dueces will fit on the dual quad. also, does a strom 97 or holley 94 have any advantages over the other in multiple carb setups.
    not trying to hijack, i thought these questions might help you also Meteor.

10. John1964

John1964
    from BC, Canada

Is this the adapter your talking about?
    [​IMG]

All depends on which sbf 2x4 intake you have. It won't fit the low rise COBRA intake (almost same casting as the Edelbrock) that use the Carter carbs. Not enough space. They might work on the Ford hise-rise 2x4 intake. They use Holley 4160 carbs and have a wider carb spacing. The vintage speed adapter might look out of place on the high rise intake. You can also try the aftermarket Offy or Weiand intakes, they are more of a low rise intake with a wider carb spacing. Or they will easily fit on a M/T or Edelbrock crossram intake :) . Here are some pics of my original Ford high rise intakes...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. westcoaster

westcoaster
    from SoCal

thats the adapter. i didn't even think about a cross-ram intake. that would be cool and different.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I wish someone would make a 3 deuce manifold for a 351-W. Jeff

13. kermit

kermit
    from WI

There is a guy in CA that has a ton of Ford multicarb stuff.

I saw his 'Cobra 3X2 setups' and he also had a number of FE Cobra 2X4 setups.

Ron @ 1-925-933-0966