Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody runnin' a '58 Buick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spoon, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Spoon

Spoon

I'm changing over from a closed drive Dynaflow to a Buick Turbo400 with an open driveshaft. Keeping the nailhead 363.
    I'm just looking for obsticals I'll have to jump.

I know the flywheel center holes won't jive, but not sure what all I'll be facing with the rearend.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You've got a bunch of work ahead of you. First off the rear suspension is integral with the torque tube. So you'll need to do something like NASCAR style ladder bars, a four link, or something along those lines. You can keep the stock rear and just replace the center section from a, I believe, 61-64 fullsize Buick. That or swap a whole different rear in there. You're gonna need the flexplate from the SP400 or ST400 (you are using a tranny from a 401/425 Nailhead aren't you ?) You'll need to enlarge the center hole to fit the 364 crank, but the bolt holes are the same. Now the 401/425 is a different balance than the 364 so you may end up with some issues from this but some people have been able to get away with it. You're also gonna need a bushing for the crank as well. My favorite place to get this bushing is Carmen Faso ([SIZE=-1]716) 693-4090, cool old dude and a Nialhead guru... Now this covers a lot of it, you'll also have to fab up the tranny mount as well and have a driveshaft made.[/SIZE]

3. Spoon

Spoon

THAT'S what I wanted to know!

Thanks man!

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

No problem... if you have anymore questions there are a few guys that have done this kind of swap.... I don't remember who did it but there is a homemade torque tube to open driveline conversion somewhere on here. I think it was a '56 or '57 Buick.. I can see if we can dig it up with the search...

5. slamminpappy

slamminpappy
    from duluth,mn.

I'm running a 55' Buick with a modern drivetrain and the original rear end.
    Fabbed out a open driveshaft conversion kit for the torque tube rear.
    Used a 4 link suspension setup from SW Racing, fairly reasonable price.

Let me know if you want details.

Pappy