Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody repop VIN tags for 47-54 Chevy/GMC trucks??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Unibodyguy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Got a friend thats not too puter literate and wants to know if anybody repops the tags that mount on the inside of the driverside door for 50 Chevy pickup he has.

Michael

2. Muffler Bearing

Muffler Bearing

I think its illegal to reproduce vin tags.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

3. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

yeah, that's a no-no.

4. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

While laws vary by state, it is not illegal to reproduce and replace a VIN tag. It is illegal to alter the identity of a vehicle with intent to decieve.

Most state departments of motor vehicles are empowered to outright change the VIN on a car under certain circumstances. Wha tis prohibited is trying to pass the vehicle off as if it was another.

There is nothing illegal about replacing a damaged or missing tag with one having the correct numbers on it that belong on that vehicle.

6. kustoms36

kustoms36

yes datatags.com made one for my corvette 64 nice!

7. joel torres

joel torres

hhhmmmm is it a white truck, does it have suicide doors????

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

American Classic Trucks (formerly Chevy Duty) , Jim Carter Chevy Trucks, Chevs of the 40s, and the Car and Truck Shop of Orange all carry repop vin plates.

9. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Thanks for the info. guys. I was pretty sure somebody did out there. I'll pass on the info. to him. I sure appreciate it. I have Fords so its a little different than what I'm used to.

Michael

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

In North Carolina it is. You cannot do it here without the permission of the DMV enforcement guys. Do it and they see it and chances are you'll be getting a NC issued VIN at the least.

11. Curt B

Curt B

When you order the plate also get a set of the original type rivets which most of the vendors will stock.

12. They were registered by motor number. They didn't have a vin tag.

Several companies reproduce body tags to be used for display purposes only or for show vehicles.

13. Well, no, not all states were stuck on the motor number, and most use the body serial number today as a VIN, which is what's on the tag in the doorjam.