Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody remember this 32 3w from the Philadelphia area in late 60s to early 70s?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hamtown Al, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I posted this pic on the thread about changing my 32 3w but hope I'm not asking too much by using a separate thread to chase the history. I appreciate the feedback on the history on that thread.
    The previous previous owner said:
    "Al the car was shown at the old Philadelphia Custom Car Show that was sponsored by the ISCA at that time. It might have had photos taken there.I was not in a club but used to hang around the Philadelphia Modifiers and go to some of their events."

He didn't have any pics of the car when he got it but said:
    "Al, I regret that I did not take photos of the car when I bought it. It had cycle fenders in the front and bobbed rear fenders. Chrome tube nerf bars in front and rear rolled pan. The chrome grill was on the car when I bought it from the son-in law of the original builder. I put AEI fiberglass Front & Rear fenders on it and original type front and rear bumpers as they were required by our state to pass state inspection. The running boards were fabricated to fit with special brackets that ran under the channeled body. It had late model White T-Bird bucket seats & interior and a Chrysler steering wheel."

Anybody remember the car or have any pictures? Any names that might be associated with the car? Hopefully, the son-in-law that sold the car to Mario in mid 60s is still around.

Thanks,
    Al
    MarioDiLibertoCar.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Mark T

Mark T

Did he tell you what year the car was shown in the Philadelphia Custom Car Show, I believe that show printed a catalog of sorts that listed all of the cars with the owners name.

3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The only time frame I got from him was late 60s to early to mid 70s.
    I wonder if anybody has any of the catalogs from that time?
    Thanks for the additional tip.
    Now, if we can just find a HAMBer from up that way that has or knows where to look to find some of those catalogs... opportunities!
    Ain't huntin' history fun?!?!

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's the 32 that homemadehardtop57 has now. It's now fenderless , hoodless, bumperless , has the side vents closed in and is sporting a hemi.

Hamtown Al likes this.

5. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Now it is really getting interesting. Is the car still channeled, unchopped, and still have the chrome interior window moldings? If so, I must have another of the previous previous owner's 32s... he had 7 at one time and might have had some "projects" as well. Mine could have just been a project and never seen the open road under its own steam until the previous owner bought it. I'm expecting a reply from the previous owner when he gets around to seeing my email with this picture of the car. I thought he said the car was in much worse condition when he got it... that makes the project theory seem more likely.
    Thanks very much for the added insight on the car.
    WOW!

6. jerseymike

jerseymike

now belongs to homemadehardtop57 on here. still unchopped with the chrome grill but the side cowl vents have been filled.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  7. Mark T

Mark T

Hamtown Al likes this.
  8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The car is un-channeled now , is still un-chopped and still has the chrome interior garnish mouldings . it is a maroon color now . I'll see if I can dig up a pic .

**EDIT** no need to dig up a pic - there's the build thread , lol !

Hamtown Al likes this.
  9. Great detective work, guys.

10. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Here it is at the TRJ Revival last year. 101_1615.jpg

11. Chrome vent's on the cowl sides have been removed. HRP

12. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

WOW! This is neat! Only problem is that I failed to make clear with the previous previous owner just WHICH of his old three windows I had!! DUH! The good news is will become great news before it is over because the previous previous owner is going to get to see what the car he sent me a picture of looks like now AND he's going to realize that the neat pretty red three window I sent him a picture of was resurrected from an old shell that he sold to a very skilled guy in PA. He said, "This is NOT the car that I bought from Mario. The car I bought had been on the dirt tracks. The quarter panel on the right side was all rolled under from getting up against the wall. The car had been channeled at one time so the subrails had been cut out of the car. I made subrails to get it back up on the frame, 40 years ago. This time I put new subrails from Brookville in the car. I don't remember that 3 window. Mario may have done it after I bought that car from him. I also bought the 5 window body from Mario. That was the second 32 that I put together." I'm hoping to share a current picture of the 5 window body with the old owner, too.

Thanks to everybody for helping me sort out my car's history... as well as a SECOND three window as well!

This is fun; ain't it?

Thanks again... I knew the HAMB knew!!
    I'm honored to be a member.
    Al

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I tried like hell to get Jerry to keep them, but no luck. I thought they were kind cool , and were there so long.