Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody put Vintage Air in a '55 Chebby?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buzzard, May 24, 2006.

1. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

How hard is it? Do the brackets, hardware and fittings all fit without fabrication? Is the SBC kit a bolt in? What kind of problems did you run into?

I'm changing jobs so I won't be driving brand new cars for free anymore. So I need to buy a car that'll be my new daily. I have the pipe dream of a '55 Chevy daily. My commute is only going to be 9 miles, but it'll be bumper to bumper the whole way. And I'll need it to drive to swap meets since I'll have Saturdays off now!

Anyhow, I have a line on a rough but driving 55. It's good from a far, but far from good. But I may be able to swing the $$$, and I've wanted a 55 since the day my first one left. Who doesn't want a 5 window coupe, a '58, and a '55? Who cares if the coupe is a '31 and the 58 is a Belair Sport Sedan!

So anyway, whose added Vintage Air to their double nickel?

2. LoungeLife

LoungeLife
    from Tulsa

I haven't, but I'm gonna be wanting it real bad come August.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I did a 56 years ago, it kind of went in ok, although only the stuff under the dash was part of the kit, I pieced together the underhood end of it.

For cost/traditional reasons you might look into finding an old underdash unit to put in there....that way you'll get the old time feel of air conditioning! heh heh heh

4. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

I think Doug did it for a customer when he worked at Manny's, he said it was pretty straight forward.

No new cars for free anymore..jeez.. somehow I dont feel bad for you... :D

We talkin "Two Lane" style 55, with ac of course..?!?!?

Gable

5. squirrel

squirrel

I think we're talking "family car" 55

6. done about 6 to 8 of them over the last 10 years.

They get better all the time fit and finish wise. Work pretty good too.

7. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

It's a 2dr. "150". I haven't run the numbers yet to see if it's a real 150, or just doesn't have any trim. You can call it Two Lane, but I'll call it AG!

Elp, are you a dealer for Vintage Air? They're right here in SA. But if I buy it direct, I pay sales tax.

8. squirrel

squirrel

first letter (after the V if it's an original 8 cyl car) of the vin will be A, B, C or D....A means 150

9. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

Well I guess the big difference is/was the wheels, shiny black, versus primer black,, the scoop..

well I hope you get it dude.. I love 55's ...

I know where their might be a 325hp 327 for sale.. cheap.. want me to rustle up that connection?

laters.
    Gable

10. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I'm always interested in a 327, if the money is right. Might put it in the '58.

11. PorkChop

PorkChop
    from Austin

I'll make the call tonight.. and email you ,,. or call or something later this week.

12. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

The sure fit works excellent

13. Yup, been a dealer for 10 years now..

54055-VCU-A cable control complete kit 134a $985.00 plus shipping

96155-PCU Gen IV servo control kit w/center vent $985.00 plus shipping

96156-PCU Gen IV servo control kit w/o center vent, use four individual louver vents. $985.00 plus shipping