Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody put a Ford sb in a '49 - 54 Chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

aren't the sbf's kinda long and narrow, I thought that is why they didn't make it into as many a's and t's as the sbc did, of course the chevy 6 is kinda long and narrow, so its probably no big deal !lol

I kept mine gm, put a big 394 olds in my 50.

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one good thing about the Ford motor in your Chevy is you can take the motor out for your next car and actually get more for the Chevy with no motor when it comes time to sell.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've got a 460 with D0VE heads, flat top pistons, big Crane, etc. The 460 Ford has sufficient quench that it can run 1 point of compression ratio higher than 'popular' Chevrolet engines before detonation rears its ugly head at the same octane rating...

Whenever I hear someone slander a marque to herald GM I am wont to think they are limited in their experience with any other than "what's safe".

Cripes! A Ford in a Chevy couldn't possibly be as bad as a Chevy in a Chrysler product! LOL

4. ironpile

ironpile

There is an early 50`s Chevy p/u with a sbf in it in the area. owner said he did it for spite. I like it. My avatar has a 440 and t/flite now,has had a 455 Pontiac,350 Chevy.351 Ford at one time or another.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  5. 42 chevy

42 chevy

I had a friend that built a 66 F100 with a 428. Pontiac. He used to love saying it like that, and it was fast. I say why not, I have an Olds 350 in my '42 Chevy.

6. studemisfit

studemisfit

i love these posts. think its funny when you put a sbc in anything your a hot rodder and when you throw a ford in anything but a ford you should be shot. i say go for it. not my first choice but any thing but a sbc is cool in my book. lets see pics when you get it going.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Hell go for it. At lease it will be a conversation piece. I squeezed banged pryed cussed a 401 nailhead into my '50 chevy.
    [​IMG]

8. codeblu

codeblu

My son and I are putting a Ford 300 6 cylinder in my 51 Plymouth.

9. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Yeah. Gay guys. You want it to run better not like a Ford. But seriously it would be different but if you know it's a setup then do it.

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Keep it civil and it will last..start bangin badmouthin and the boss will lock it up

it comes down to what you have, what you know, your cash..and your car

WTF???? I dint get a rule book..did you?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  11. BISHOP

BISHOP

Something about a ford in a chevy is way wrong, in a mud shark kind of way.

12. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I think this post is so funny to me. One of my C.C. members tries to talk everyone into puting a sbc in there ride. I am a firm believer in ford in a ford, chevy in a chevy, etc etc. but there are always exceptions. say your working on an old nash or hudson..something you dont have good options for...now with that being said I say go ahead and drop the sbf in that chevy..lol. fair is fair after all.

And chevy guys...yes the sbc is an good engine..but dont get mad because chevy didnt make as many cool body styles af ford..lol. just picking on you guys.

13. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Sir I salute you, if I was King of Fordlandia I would Knight you and give you a fine small army and someone elses daughter to reconquista the plundered hapless engine bays of yOOOn fallen Fords. Ride forth your noble steed Chevrofordulus and retake the battle grounds from evil twins threetwentysevenithucus and the betrayers favorite pet dragon the ultraeeaval threefiftysauruschrometomaximusbowtiefundulus....rex. God speed and bring back some brownies.

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

"Put a Ford sb in a '49 - 54 Chevy"?Nooo!!!
    This is just so, so, cosmically and orgasmically
    wrong!!! The Car Gods will get you, send you
    to internal combustion Hell for eternity where
    you'll be forced to drive a Yugo!!! :eek::eek:

Mart3406
    =====================

15. goodgarb

goodgarb
    from TACOMA,WA

Really touchy subject as always, but do what ever pleases you because your the one that has to drive it.

16. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Dear Sir, if there are any Yugo's left they must be in hell, and if you are forced to drive one fear not, it will be an extremely short experience. This Yugo of which you speak was designed to load on a sea faring vessel roll off at the dock, load on the big truck onto the dealer lot, trick a fair maiden into a purchase, drive 30 feet and expire non cerimoniously. We shall tether your steed right amongst the Fords that have lost their souls, mayhaps methinks sadness will ensue and and perhaps some tears be shed. Sir Roush release the Kraken.

17. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

Why would u ever want to put a Ford motor in a cool old chevy? Its does not piss people off it just makes you look like a giant retard

18. 067chevy

067chevy

That sounds like a great idea.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

there we go again with the name callin'

everytime a thread like this comes up..it gets locked..

I bet someone has such a nice set up that it would blow your mind..yet we wont get to see it, because the mods will shut this thread down:mad:

BTW..I dig that Nail Head Crammed in there..kick ass and fucking something Different for a change

20. daddio211

daddio211

My father in law bought a '34 Chevy pickup (dropped axle, disc brakes, pale yellow primer, etc) with a 302 and C4. VERY few people even notice, LOL.

To top that, when my wife and I were in Missouri a few months ago I stopped by a shop that sells/restores cars and saw a '55 Chevy 210 4 door with what else... an 8BA FLATHEAD!? Yes, really.

Not saying its right, but it's been done.

21. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Right.

If it was mine, I'd put a slant six in it. Not that I would ever own a Chevy.

Although, that would be a waste of a slant.

22. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

23. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Why not? Why put a Chevy motor in a cool old Ford?

To change the subject slightly, I don't know if any one here is into old tractors or not, it seems to me that the John Deere guys and the Chevy guys all fell from the same tree. That is, "We're the best and the rest don't matter".

Not all fit this description thankfully.

Mopar or no car.

24. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Put a sbc in it and it will be like driving a caprice with a 49-52 body. Or put a sbf in it and feel like your driving a crown vic with a 49-52 chevy body. Haha. Put a six in it!

25. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I'm old, so I believe that half the reason we started putting larger engines in cars "back in the day" was (aside from just making more noise and power) to fill the engine compartment up with....with...well..with ENGINE! Sticking a sbf in that capacious cavity will make it look even smaller than it is. I have a 289 in my '27 fenderless roadster (32 rails) - looks just perfect because it takes up nearly every cubic inch of space between the hood sides and under the hood.

Don't misunderstand, I love them little 221-260-289-351s....they go like stink, and for whatever reason, sbfs just sound better than almost any other V8 (OHV that is) with dual exhaust. Go ahead and do it, no more blasphemous than a Chev in a Ford or a Chrysler in a Chev or anything else. Just be prepared to fabricate pretty much everything you need, and as previously cited - watch the sump interference stuff.

dj

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

There was a local chopped 1950 Fleetline with SBF, C4, and Ford 9 inch rear. Best thing was the lisence plate NO EKG. The Heartbeat people didn't like it, but us Ford guys did. :)

28. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Oh yeah, that's a good one.

29. at the flying eyeball there was this guy with a f-150 chassis and boss 302 engine

30. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

You talkin' to me? YOU TALKIN' TO ME??

With my best DeNiro in your face look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.