Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody paint over ceramic coated headers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by papajohn, Apr 30, 2017.

1. papajohn

papajohn

Just bought some fresh ceramic coated headers. Think I would like them white. Would VHT header paint stick?

2. Bugguts

Bugguts

I haven't tried it, but I would say no as the ceramic coating would be too hard to scuff and give the paint something to stick to.
    Years ago, while in the body shop, we painted a refrigerator and kitchen stove to match. The frig worked out fine, but trying to scuff the stove ceramic coating was near impossible with sandpaper alone. I'm sure the stove chipped and probably peeled later.
    They paint bathtubs but have to etch the surface with a acid first or paint won't stick.( don't ask how I know).
    Probably cheaper and easier to buy some that are primed or come painted and repaint.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O If you want white then you should send them out and have them re-coated in white ceramic.
    Companies like jet hot will do white.
    Paint is not likely to stick to the smooth ceramic coating and VHT paint is not durable in the first place.
    Painting over ceramic is low tech on the side of the "what was he thinking" style building. :D
    https://www.jet-hot.com/gallery/

4. gasser57!

gasser57!

Agreed. I used VHT over ceramic headers and had to repaint about every other year. Spent the money and sent them to Jet Hot. Haven't touched them in over 5 years and they still look new. They are really resistant to rock chips (I don't have fenderwells). Best of all, they were a great company to work with. Never used their warranty, but have to assume they will stand behind their product.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey likes this.