Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects anybody not split the wishbones?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flat34pu, Jan 30, 2014.

1. flat34pu

flat34pu

anybody put a chevy motor and auto trans in an old ford and not split the wishbones? im working on a '35 fordor.

thanks rich

2. I'm not saying it can't be done,but your going to have to make some sort of spacer to reposition the bones down in the rear,,then your going to have to modify the bones by making cuts in them to correct the caster. HRP

3. Are you using a stock or dropped axle? I think that is what HRP is thinking (dropped) Also, the trans will dictate a new crossmember or trans mount. Tim

4. I think samiyam here did something cool like that.

5. flat34pu

flat34pu

yeah, i am keeping the stock front axle, and have the tranny mount bolted on the frame now, and the wish bone goes clear past the tranny mount.

the rear i am putting in a 8" rear end.

thanks rich

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  6. Beau

Beau

I am. I have a 4" drop with a 2" upsweep in the front. I took some 37-41 bones, flipped them upside down, cut them 13 times for a swoop, and extended them a bit. I wanted the mount to tuck up under the frame. I have an Olds 215 with a T-5 mounted on a Stock F1 trans mount. I had to cut a little nub off the bottom of the trans to clear the yoke. The pedals are real tight also, but I like the look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. flat34pu

flat34pu

that dose look kool, do you have any closer or detailed pics? I would like to see how you remounted the ball end.

on my '35 the mount was cut off the frame where it grabbed the ball on the wishbone and I have nothing to work with.

I thought I saw it here, someone made a bracket/adaptor to grab the wishbone ball and used the 2 tranny mount- mounting holes on the tranny plate that is bolted to the frame, to hold it in place.

maybe it was on the web I cant remember.

thanks rich

8. Beau

Beau

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677460&fb_source=message

That's what I followed as a rough idea. I think every car will be different depending on where you put things. Mine isn't the best example and I went a goofy way flipping and slicing it but that's what I wanted. I'm still new to this but the tech article was a nice help. The mount you speak of is covered in the tech article.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  9. Beau

Beau

This is the rear but the same basic idea.

My mount-

[​IMG]

Tacked in-

[​IMG]

10. flat34pu

flat34pu

thanks criminal, i could not find Samiyam's post untill i got Beau's reply which showed it in the Tech section.

thanks to both of you for your help.

rich

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Not to hijack the thread, but a question along the same lines....can you "Z" the wishbone like you would do a frame? I know this would look crappy on an open fender car, but on a full fat fender , it would be hidden.

12. fatkoop

fatkoop

There have been hundreds or probably thousands of early Fords built with sbc's and stock wishbones, but I've never seen one that used an auto trans. (that was the question, right?) You can get by with early Ford transmissions and maybe even a T5, but a T350 or larger would be a big stretch in a '35 Ford with stock wishbones.