Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody know the width of a 61 Econoline rearend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironhunter, Sep 8, 2007.

1. ironhunter

ironhunter

Got one to sell, and I don't really want to fool with stomping weeds and lifting the van up unless its to pull an axle that is sold.
    C'mon...somebody knows...surely.

Thanks in advance

2. 46stude

46stude

I've got a 9" out of about a '64 that I just went outside to measure- 'round 55" backing plate to backing plate

3. ironhunter

ironhunter

Hey man...thanks! I owe ya a cold one!
    Ray

4. I think they are wider than what 55 inches inside backing plate would lead to believe. I looked at one in the junkyard a while back, since it is a 9-inch and has the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. However, I seem to recall it was about 62-63 inches wide at the wheel mounting surface. Too wide for most all hot rod applications. BUt that is relying on my memory and I would verify to be sure. Sorry I can not provide better facts, just opinion from my memory.

5. ironhunter

ironhunter

That sounds more like what I was recalling too. I knew they were too wide for most applications that we would be interested in for a hot rod. Hence the reason I'm not asking an arm&leg for it. The punkin and plates/brakes is all I figure to be of any value.

Thanks
    Ray

6. 46stude

46stude

About 61" from outside to outside of where the wheels would mount..... plus add a little bit because the rear I'm measuring doesn't have the drums on it.

7. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

61.5" the same as a full size 61 to 64 Ford car, the axles interchange.

8. Just put a 62 Econoline under the 51 merc last month. perfect overall fit width wise. The backing plate to backing plate was 56". outside to outside was 62 1/2

9. Anyone know the spline count on the axles?

10. ironhunter

ironhunter

24 splines if my Hollander Interchange is correct

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. Really saved me a lot of time!
    Ray