Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Anybody know "Midge" Sakemi?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Engine-Ear, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Ryan's thread with a Muroc racer (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292815) prompted this thread...

In about 1991, I became friends with a man named Masaji Sakemi whose nickname was "Midge"...

His family who lived in Indio was Japanese and he and his brother(s) were into dry lakes racing before WW2, specifically Muroc Lake. He and his 'crew' raced with the likes of Vic Edelbrock Sr. I recall him saying that he was involved with building hot rods from about age 12. He also told me about how he put an OHV Chevy head on a Ford 4-cylinder engine (is that even possible???).

So after WW2, he ended up in Milwaukee and ran a Yellow Cab garage. Sometime in the '50s he hired on at Ladish Corp. as a machinist (if memory serves). In about 1977 he lost a leg (above the knee) on the job and according to him, got shafted by the company. He was on disability for the remainder of his life, living humbly and quietly in a one-room apartment located within a few minutes' drive of a barn he rented. The barn was an amazing collection of early parts and cars, most of which were Ford and Mercury.

Midge passed away in January 1997 at about 75 years of age; his will was over 20 years old and basically invalid. His barn full of treasure sold at auction for chump change.

Anyway, my point is this: are there any HAMBers out West who knew of the Sakemi boys and have any pics or anecdotes about them or Midge?

Midge, I miss you, my friend...

2. This needs a "BUMP"....

Joel

3. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

thanks, Joel...there's gotta be others who knew Midge.

4. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I grew up in Palm Springs and remember the family well. They ran Suski and Sakemi, an IHC and tractor dealership on Hwy 111 in Indio. I actually worked for them for a short period of time after school, before I got on with the Chevy dealer.

5. CheaterCarl

CheaterCarl

The cats you want to talk to are Brian Chimery & Mark Gouganmas, they were both bros w/ Midge in the 1980's & 1990s right up till his death. They both got a good portion of his car stuff as well. They both still live in the Milwaukee area. I have their phone numbers if you would like to contact them. Either one would be floored to talk about Midge.
    Some of you may know Mark from one of the MAD Fabricator Vids, he owns a survivor coupe a pearl white 29 w/a 32 5 Window top grafted to it. It was built I think in the late 1950's. Mark & Brian know a ton about Midge. Mark was closer to the little fella from what I gather, but I think Brian had a man crush on him.
    Call me if you want the phone numbers or email me.
    414-744-5420
    Cheater Carl

6. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

I lost track of, and just made it back to, this thread...

"I actually worked for them for a short period of time after school" -coupster

coupster, what years are you referring to?

Carl, thanks...BTW this "Pontiac" Matt here. I think Brian and Mark know what I know about the old cat.

7. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I worked for them in 1969 before going to Sunrise Chevrolet.