Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ID this car for me?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Racrdad, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Racrdad

Racrdad

A gentleman I work with has been telling me about an old car his uncle has that is going to be passed down to him. He doesnt know what it is and the uncle is in real bad health and doesnt care to talk about the stuff right now. Its not a whats it worth question, the gentleman I am asking this for is in his 60's and was a rodder years ago and to him its a family treasure to keep and pass on again down the road. So, I told him I know where there is a bunch of guys (and gals) that know everything about old cars. So, he was able to get these 3 pics. Lets hear it, what is it?

Attached Files:

2. Heo2

Heo2

modell t speedster

3. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

what they said

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

All in Favor? :D

6. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I may be Off Base, But didnt they call that type a RUNABOUT ?

7. Like what, '23-'27? It's the later grille anyways.

8. Racrdad

Racrdad

I thought a Speedster would be different on the back than this. Anybody know about a Runabout? Sounds like majority is winning with the Speedster vote though. Anybody else?

9. Speedster was not an 'official' designation. Now that that's out of the way, a runabout is generally considered to have doors, and some semblance of 'body' aft of the cowl.
    A speedster is modeled (sorry) after Mercer Raceabout or Stutz Bearcat (early). Usually without any 'body' aft of the cowl, a visible, usually round to oval, fuel tank, possibly some small trunk to the rear of the fuel tank. In other words, just about what we have here.
    Oh, yeah, there were NO factory speedsters from Ford on a 'T' chassis.

Cosmo

10. Racrdad

Racrdad

Thanks Cosmo thats good info and thank you everybody else for your input too. Somehow I knew I would get the answer here. The HAMB rules!

11. tjmercury

tjmercury

I'm pretty sure a runabout just had a gas tank on the back and that was it

12. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Runabout, speedster, raceabout. Kinda like the difference between soda, pop and seltzer. Different terms for very similar items, depending on the part of the country you're in.

Model T's and others typically rescued from the scrapper by some kid with not much money, who deleted all the stuff that wasn't necessary for getting from point A to point B. So fenders were popular where it rained and got muddy, and no fenders whee it was dry. Then when two of them met on the road, the inevitable happened.

Then outraged citizens forced them off the roads and onto horse racing tracks for thier damnable speed contests. The rest as they say is history.......

13. jipp

jipp

that is cool whatever you want to call it.. i wonder if the engine is hopped up with old speed parts.

chris.