Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody here installed a Newport kit in a 40-47 pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doublepumper, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Looking at the situation under the dash has me wondering. Will the heater and glove box need to be removed to install this?
    Any tips much appreciated.

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's a "Newport kit"? Meaning that you get far better answers when you actually give real details.

49ratfink likes this.
  3. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably a Newport Windshield Wiper kit. As to the OP post, I dont think heater and glove box would have to be removed in a car but I really dont know about a truck. I would think it would be the same

4. May depend on how 'flexible' you are.... LOL.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A different year but on my 1948 F1, I am putting in a complete Dennis Carpenter wiper kit. I have to cut out both dash braces but they give you braces to bolt in. I probably have to modify drivers side duct and the radio cannot be used in original location. I know a different year and brand but it may give you a general idea . Not sure if Newport web site gives the details or not .

6. Hamtown Al and Budget36 like this.
  7. studebaker46

studebaker46

In mine it was pretty easy. A 41 but I did lose the cowl vent . Call Newport they are great people and and very helpful Tom

jaracer likes this.
  8. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I installed the Newport kit in my 41 under construction. I cut out the factory center dash support and installed a thinner version which I offset to the right slightly. I mounted an electric cowl vent motor from julianos which I mounted as close to the firewall as possible to retain the cowl vent operation. I also have a compact AC from Vintage Air that I mounted at the same time so not to run into clearance issues. I may have to shorten my glove box slightly but that is due to me moving the AC unit as high as possible so I didn't have to look at it.

9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is an old pic of the brace I installed and the cowl vent motor. Plenty of room for the wiper motor
    upload_2022-6-16_12-22-11.png

10. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I appreciate all the info guys. Sorry I wasn't clear with my question. I changed the wording so many times to make my question a bit more understandable, I ended up screwing it upo_O
    Due to everything being together under the dash, I was just curious to know what more may be involved in installing this. No problem if things need to be removed...probably easier in the long run.
    Thanks again!

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is your truck painted? I ask because there are mods required to the cowl for the wiper tranny to come through. They include a genius steel bracket that will properly space the right side hole and both holes will have to enlarged a bit.

12. dln1949

dln1949

Double pumper, Newport kit is probably one of the few items I have purchased that actually fit and installed as instructed. Installed, plugged in and turned on. If you have defrosters you may need to remove them for the install, but you can reinstall them after your finished. You can save the cowl vent and still have it function with a little work.

jaracer and 51504bat like this.
  13. jaracer

jaracer

Like others have said, call Newport they are very helpful. Their product is outstanding in regards to quality and ease of installation. However, my experience was with a Model A kit. It may not be as easy an installation on your vehicle.

14. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I have the jig set up and had intended to continue on with the install, until I saw there may be more to finishing this up quickly, with everything that's under the dash.
    While fishing for info here, I decided to knock out a couple other projects. I'll tear into this in a day or two.
    Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input.