Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody heard of Kustoms by Archibald?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zorch, Jan 21, 2009.

1. zorch

zorch

I've had this enamelled Kustom badge forever, it came from southern Michigan, northern Ohio, some swap meet. Where it came from means nothing. I've been curious for years and this is the place to find out.

thanks
    Chris

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. zorch

zorch

bump up, still curious

Stogy likes this.
  3. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

thats neat,,,i hope someone can shed some light on it..

Stogy likes this.
  4. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

There was a customizer from Monterey,Ca. in the 60's by the name of Dick Archibald.His driver was a 36 Ford Roadster-Louvered Hood,Packard Grill,Carson Top.

Stogy likes this.

5. RodP

RodP

Like my friend Jerry says, there was an Archibald Kustom Autos in Monterey, California. It was about 1957-58. The address on the business card was a few doors down from Cushenbery's.

The roadster was a neat little car. It was featured in one of the little Rod & Customs. His girlfriend was in my senior class and he used to pick her up after school in a black 50 Merc. Both cars are pictured in one of the Barris books.
    Archibald customized the 57 Ford when it was new. It had beaked headlights, louvered hood and he flipped the side trim.
    A classmate of mine Paul Vona did the striping on the Merc and the 36. Vona also painted the scalloped 57. It was done in shades of blue tinted primer.
    The two girls with the roadster were also classmates of mine.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  6. RodP

RodP

I forgot to say that is a really cool badge. I have never seen one like it. It would be interesting to find out if it was Dick Archibald.

Stogy likes this.
  7. Von Franco

Von Franco

Wow Rod ,the old cobwebs must be clearing out your head man lol. Last time I saw Paul
    Vona he was at the drags selling some of his old cool stuff.He was a cool dude taught me some striping tips......

Stogy likes this.
  8. RodP

RodP

I found the Rod & Custom Article. I remember now Archibald had a sign on the back to advertise his new Kustom Shop. Paul Vona did the lettering. The pictures were probably taken a year before at the Kar Kapades when the paint was in much better shape.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  9. 007fab0

007fab0

Is this the same Paul Vona that lives in San Jose, and yes he sells some of the coolist shit around, builds SW gauges, and Pin striped the Dream truck in the 60's @ the San Jose auto show.?? Let me know

Stogy likes this.
  10. RodP

RodP

Yes it is. Maybe he could shed some more light on the Archibald story.
    RodP

Stogy likes this.
  11. zorch

zorch

This is great--I'm pretty sure we're onto the right guy, especially since one story makes a point of saying that he spelled Kustom with a K. But I have every confidence we'll find another image of that enamel badge somewhere, or somebody that remembers it first person.

--Chris

Stogy likes this.
  12. 007fab0

007fab0

I was over his house to day. I printed this hole archibald story here, I will go see him Thur. or Fri. .. Small World!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    Stogy likes this.
  13. zorch

zorch

Still haven't finally put a knot on this--it got legs for a minute and then stopped. Anybody have a couple more pennies to put in?

thanks

Stogy likes this.
  14. 007fab0

007fab0

I asked Paul to day, so what was with the badges. He said that would put them only on cars they did kustom work on.

Stogy likes this.
  15. zorch

zorch

Thanks--did he put out many of them, of just a few? It's a great badge.
    Thanks for the info

Stogy likes this.
  16. 007fab0

007fab0

Paul said , no they didn't make a lot of the badges that he can recall, he wishes he could find one for him self . hope it helps let me know..

Stogy likes this.
  17. 007fab0

007fab0

Heads up...... Just stoped by Paul Vonas place, he just picked up a (TON of ) N.O.S. Ford , and Chevy, cams, flat heads ,blocks, , they are selling quick.. give him a call let him know what you need. 408-289-9325 in CA ..... shawn...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
    Stogy likes this.