Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody have more pics of this car..........(pic)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53choptop, Sep 25, 2003.

1. 53choptop

53choptop

I love it!!!!

Gives my 53 Olds some hope....

Attached Files:

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That's Larry's from Sideshow Kustoms, aka Pyro52. It was just recently sold...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

That car is in the premiere issue of "Ol' Skool Rods" from the people who do "The Horse". If you ask me, it looks like someone went a little nuts with the pinstriping and Coop stickers. Definitely not subtle. Kinda cheesy. This whole "Desparate Living" thing has gotten way out of hand! -stick
    Here's a new label to kick around: "Chrome Chainers" tm

4. DrJ

DrJ

[ QUOTE ]
    That car is in the premiere issue of "Ol' Skool Rods" from the people who do "The Horse". If you ask me, it looks like someone went a little nuts with the pinstriping and Coop stickers. Definitely not subtle. Kinda cheesy. This whole "Desparate Living" thing has gotten way out of hand! -stick
    Here's a new label to kick around: "Chrome Chainers" tm

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the warning on what Ol'Skool is planning on featuring...I won't bother looking for it.
    One more port hole, scoop, or tail pipe and it'll qualify as an "ART CAR"
    Sheesh... [​IMG]

I think the only "positive" words that could describe it would be "That's totally gnarly Awsum, DUDE!" in a Bill & Ted, Mullet kinda voice.

5. 53choptop

53choptop

I agree, the car is a bit "overdone". But looking beyond that, way beyond that, my thing is its an Oldmobile, not many customized 51-53 Olds out there, well at least I haven't seen many, hell haven't seen many regular 51-53 Olds, these year Olds have pretty good looking lines when massaged right and this can be an example......again looking beyond the Iron Maiden pinstiping, Dolphin fin style tailpipes and "subtle" body scoops...

besides I'm kinda partial, I have a 53 Olds.......

6. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

53 olds' like the mild custom treatment.

Jim Bruns, the guy who built the Black Dahlia had a bitchen one...

It was just lowered I think. I loved that car. They have really cool lines to start with.

I forgot to add that olds looks like a turd with too many peanuts...

7. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

.. and beyond that, Larry is a really great guy... I would never knock something I couldn't do myself.. He's knows what he's doing, and really, I think his point was for it to be a bit over-the-top.. besides, it IS an olds! [​IMG]

8. DrJ

DrJ

I'm kinda partial too.
    As I've said before, I learned to drive in my Dad's '53 98 Town Sedan.
    I think the '53 was the best looking year Olds built between the fastback Futuramics the '57 Holidays.
    I just hate to see them "gooked up" with crap.
    That "thing" has three sets of potential exhaust pipes, and the, the, it's just got too much muck!
    Besides, I just fucking HATE flame throwers...

Oldsmobiles should ALL be built with the class of Ray Goulart's '50 Olds, end of story.

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

It IS an art car in that it is always changing. He has changed some major metalwork on it every year that I've known him, and YES it is supposed to be over the top. Larry is an artist and one hell of a nice guy. Sorry, but I can't sit here and let a friend get bashed. He lives and breathes cars, does all the work himself and is damn good at it too.

He just sold it so now maybe he can build a nice "safe" model A or shoebox like everyone else... [​IMG]

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

The car is a little over the top, but it is really nice and a lot of skill went into it. He's been adding to it and altering it for years. EVERY time I see it, there is something different about it.

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Here is his Buick he and Abomber30 built. I was this close >< to trading for this thing. I love it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. This car has to be seen in person to be appreciated. It is a very creative chopped '50's style kustom. There is something going on everywhere ya look and all the work is done nice.

It is hard to chop and modify most if not all fifties type cars. But, it's easy to go consevative for the sake of resale or sometimes lack of imagination. This guy let's it all hang out and wears his rockabilly, hot rod heart right on his sleeves. This guy lives the Kulture and not just visits it on the H.A.M.B.

It's an awesome ride, it really is. [​IMG]

13. =mike=

=mike=

It is obvious he lives the KULTURE . I dont know about visiting the H.A.M.B. to get kulture , but I think you are way off there . it is actually hard to go conservative . you need to have good taste and an understanding of when a car goes from a beautiful streamlined machine , to a weird parody of Kustom Kulture junK . Westergard &amp; Barris &amp; Cole are subtle and conservative when they build a car . . . and it doesnt have anything to do with lack of imagination . Any retard can make a car look like a cartoon rockerbilly circus wagon . To make a car look like a true custom , that is hard to do .

Personaly I like it with the exception of a few small things . the chop looks perfect , it is just low enough , and even t he flames arent too gaudy , but it does wear its " rockabilly heart " all over itself , and THAT ruins what could be a seriously nice car .

IMO [​IMG]

14. [ QUOTE ]
    I agree, the car is a bit "overdone". But looking beyond that, way beyond that, my thing is its an Oldmobile, not many customized 51-53 Olds out there, well at least I haven't seen many, hell haven't seen many regular 51-53 Olds, these year Olds have pretty good looking lines when massaged right and this can be an example......again looking beyond the Iron Maiden pinstiping, Dolphin fin style tailpipes and "subtle" body scoops...

besides I'm kinda partial, I have a 53 Olds.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron Maiden is a Holy thing and I will not just sit back and let it be run down

15. DrJ

DrJ

Thank's for the explaination..
    But,
    All "ART CARS" should be hot-glued up on used up old Fairmonts or similar useless chassis, not potentially cool cars.

The Buick is bitchin.
    He's stopped on it now hasn't he?

There have been demonstrations by pople attempting to sho ducks, Elephants and Chimpanzees "making" art they give them paper and paint and the animal slops the paint on the paper until the trainer decides the "art" is done, then the trainer takes the paper away. This actually makes the trainer the one empowered with deciding when the slopped on paper is art, not the chimp. Left to his own timing the chimp would bore with the painting and just eat the paper.
    Some of us (I'll include myself because I've been guilty too) artists sometimes need a "trainer" to tell us when the art work is done.

16. TINGLER

TINGLER

I'm going outside to eat my car.

17. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Amen Mike, But make that Sam Barris, George did build sleds like that. SAM WAS THE REAL GENIUS AND KING OF THE KUSTOMIZERS!

18. Sailor

Sailor

If I look past all the add-ons, I see things I like in the profile-shot. Chop and hardtopjob look very good.
    But that frontal shot is plain disturbing. A stock 49-53 Olds has a very distinct and at least to my eye, - good looking front. It doesnt need much to look boss. Some lowering and a nosejob and voila! I guess I dont understand changes for the sake of changing alone.

Glad the pictures of that Buick was posted. Looks great.

19. I think this shows that it takes a lot more, or shall I say less, to build a neat custom than many builders think.
    The first and most important thing is a good eye for design.
    The Olds is just ruined, the Buick is OK.

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yes, the Buick is finished and has been sold. I wish I had pictures of the Olds front end from this year. It has 56 Caddy Dagmars and bumpers. It looks better than the above pic. I didn't really mean that it is an art car along the lines of say a 325i with 10,000 spoons glued to it. But it is "art" as far as the Kulture aspect goes, just in a different style than the stuff guys like Cole build. Agreed on the sometimes an artist needs to be told when to stop comment. The Olds isn't ruined. It could easily be made into a more restrained kustom. I like it for what it is, not what everyone else thinks it should be. Would I have done things differently? Sure. But he built that car for himself and poured his heart and soul into it, and was always looking for a way to change it and bring it closer to his vision for that car. I respect the hell out him for that. Look at the Buick. He had a vision for that as well, and he achieved it. It's beautiful.

21. ...A little blood circulating is good for the heart!

Mike,

You got a great club out there and I know you guys live the Kulture too! As a matter of fact your clubs website was one of the first I found dealing with the kind of cars and scene I enjoy when I got hooked up on the net and devoured the first two issues of Hot Rod Deluxe. I couldn't believe there was actually more like minded people out there.

So, I know I'm not dealing with a dummy here, but neither are you. This ride is a true Kustom with a lot of thought, taste, and skill applied to it. It's not a Art car, and the builder likes stripin' and flames on account he did it himself.

I think the problem here( and benefit of doubt )is that the photos do not due the work and ingenuity justice. If the car were just plain flat black or a dark gloss color, opinions would be much more positive. This car does have a "High School Confidential" feel to it. If the car was say, straight white, I feel you and alot of others we be able to see it's merits as far a design and execution go. It actually has a lot of elements of what was done to Kustoms in the early sixties. The addition of scoops, and sculptured bodywork on alot of Mercs and Chevys.

I agree with you on the difficulty of changing a cars lines in a sublte fashion in order to modify it and improve it, and at the same time make it "Kool Looking". Westergard, and early Barris were not only modifing cars but, creating a standard of design excellence that lives today. Now this Cole Foster is truly innovative and thoughtful in his approach to time honored techniques and styles. His cars are truly awesome, haven't seen one I didn't like yet. So there's no arguement.

The thing is this Kustom we're refering on is awesome too! It has some really great stuff going on and desrves better consideration.

IMHO [​IMG]

22. seldom scene

seldom scene

One more time regional differences come into play here. People who are used to seeing beautiful tasteful customs slowly cruising down the street don't like gook wagons like that Olds. People who confuse radical with beautiful love them. I'm glad he sold it just in time for Rockersilly to go out of style.

23. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Well Boy's, That's why they call,em custom cars. Built to the OWNERS tastes. My tastes run more to the conservative side because I was brought up on the early Barris and Valley Custom style but I appreciate the effort it takes to build any full on project. It's his car and if it tripps his trigger it's OK by me. [​IMG]

24. =mike=

=mike=

Peter pan , I'm glad you didnt take offence to what I said , it wasnt intended to be an attack . Of course there are many difference of oppinions and ultimatley that is what makes all of this " fun " . I am just more of a fan of subtlety and a little more smoothly flowing lines .

no big whoop ! [​IMG]

25. haring

haring

I suspect that a year ago, opinions would have been more positive. Everyone (except DrJ [​IMG]) would have loved it. But the paint is what pushes it overboard. The same car, perhaps minus the portholes, wearing a solid color would put it in a different light. Overall, though, it has more positive features than negatives.

PS: I just noticed the massive flamethrower boom tubes. Those have got to go! [​IMG]

26. 53choptop

53choptop

Wow, didn't mean to start anything....I am sure Larry is a great guy, I just wanted pictures....

Anyhow, this is what I am working on, not even remotely close, but the same car + 2 doors (which will change). I will use his car as a reference, for me its difficult to picture how lines can flow, Larry's car are right on it.

My chop is a bit conservative, because its a more door, but will reconsider once I get it back into the garage and tackle the 2 door conversion

Attached Files:

27. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Dagmars don't help. Flys do though.

Attached Files:

28. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

Attached Files:

29. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

More flames. Yeah.

Attached Files:

30. It is ruined, very obvious! A rockasilly kustom kulture art car... And a magazine with the first issue doing a feature of that one, well that says alot about that magazine and people trying to make money out of fads...