Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Anybody have info on "Wheelers" SCTA car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Wheelersplaque.jpg I have a Wheelers [SCTA] club plaque I bought on ebay but the only info I could find on Google was the club listed as an SCTA club that raced on the dry lakes in 1961. I'd be interested in any more information about the club. PM me or post here if you know anything about this club or the club plaque...thanks.

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Thanks, Stogy. I appreciate the lead. Late 30s-early 40s....I didn't realize it was that old!

Stogy likes this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When you get stuff with connections to a time such as that it gives you goosebumps holding it...hope more surfaces on this club...

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. I've found Fuzzy Anderson was one of the club members...passed in '11. Found the Wheelers were at the dry lakes in '48, helping with track and crowd management but they didn't earn any points racing . Love to know more.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Rocky there is no doubt you may have an original plaque that may have graced one of these period Hotrods...but is there a chance it's a knockoff of an original? Technically it makes no difference as the club is bonafide legit.

Perhaps @Rockerhead and/or @woodiemike or some of the other veteran Hotrodders may have some history to add to the club behind the plaque.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The only "Wheeler" I knew was Dave Ratliff. He past a few years ago. I believe he had joined the Sidwinders and ran a yellow D Gas Roadster. A super nice guy and true gentleman.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  9. Thanks! I was able to find 7 members of the Wheelers in 1947 at one of the the El Mirage meets. Looks like they mostly ran mildly built fords/mercs with a Hudson and a Cord in the mix.....wish there were photos.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing to do is type the members name in Google search with say Hotrod or El Mirage or SCTA after the name and you may get other links...;)...now I'm giving away my secrets...:D...perhaps the SCTA book Jimmy scanned in tells you the vehicles they were running...and your right photos are tough to come by...

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

This is Identified as Dave Ratliff

Quoted...

Dave Ratliff is doing what hundreds of record hopefuls did, breaking in the racecar engine while on the way to Bonneville.

http://www.landspeedproductions.biz/bonneville-preview

Credit to Photographer, Owner

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

List the Names you have Rocky...

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Those are the 7 names

lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I done some snooping around and am finding names mentioned here and there but no pics. It is amazing how rare information can be...hopefully someone can help connect the dots.

16. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Here are a few more of the Wheelers club members. The above picture of Dave Ratliff is in Kay Kimes car on the way to the 1949 Bonneville Speed Weeks. The story Kay told me was they drove the car there and would push it through the towns and drive to the next town and do the same thing. According to Kay the car still exists

Along with Kay there was Jerry Eisert, Bill Fowler and Lynn Yakle. These guys all ran Kay Kimes ex Breene and Haller belly tank along with the So Cal coupe they owned for a time.

Bill Fowler went on to start All American Racers (AAR) with Dan Gurney and Carrol Shelby and won the best Engineered car at Indianapolis in 1967.

Jerry Eisert also went to Indy as a constructor and designed the first monocoque car to run at Indy and won the best engineered car award in 1966. I bought this car from him and still own it.

Lynn Yakle ran a Mercedes 300 on the slat flats and interestingly Jerry was given a 1957 Corvette by GM to go against the Mercedes (the picture I found on the net is of Lynn I think in the early 60's with the Mercedes).

As referred by the group the kid of the group was Jim Travis who bought the So Cal coupe from Jerry and ran it for years. Lynn Yakle.jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you @$um Fun this confirms what I posted of Dave is legit and you have provided some additional great info...and pics...this gives more to search with it would be nice to see a plaque hanging off a Hotrod or Racer...but all is very much appreciated.

18. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

Here you go Stogy. Though its not a plaque, Kay painted the Wheelers logo on the nose of his ex Breene & Haller lakester. I think this is around 1954-55. Kay's Lakester.jpg

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wait till @Rocky sees this... @$um Fun what a cool pic and as the SCTA booklet from 47 @Jimmy B scanned highlighted The Wheelers were in the thick of the evolving Hotrod/Racing scene...this is very exciting history.

You knew and know these fellas were you a member?

These moments we share here I consider priceless I'd like to let you know as a Hamb member.

Thanks so much and again we look forward to whatever you care to share regarding your connections to these golden days of Hotrod/Race with the Wheeler's.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  20. WOW! Great info here. Thanks a million. This history is priceless and each bit of information makes my plaque that much more valuable to me...Much respect for these guys and their club. Anybody know when the club began? 1947 is the earliest I can find so far.

21. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Rocky;
    First off great score on the plaque. Not only looks good, but looks even better on you car! Too bad the seller could not provide more info for you. Going thru what I have maybe I can shed some more light on the club. Looks like they were active from 1947 thru the 50's? As stated before, pictures of this era are extremely hard to come by.:( Hope what I have will give you some more info and insight into the club. They include club duties, times, points standings, etc. Hope you enjoy, and always be safe!;)

Scan0003.jpg Scan0005.jpg Scan0006.jpg Scan0008.jpg Scan0009.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  22. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scan0020.jpg Scan0021.jpg Scan0022.jpg Scan0023.jpg Scan0024.jpg Wheelers....that's all folks!!:D;)

Scan0020.jpg Scan0021.jpg Scan0022.jpg Scan0023.jpg Scan0024.jpg

EL MOE, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  25. Eddie Munster

Eddie Munster

Sorry for resurrecting this old post, wanted to add a picture of the Wheelers plaque that was owned by my grandfather, George Bottema. I see that he appears in the SCTA entries in previous posts. This plaque now belongs to my uncle, but I recently borrowed it and had a couple shirts made with this design.
    George and Fuzzy Anderson were best friends going back to kindergarten. Fuzzy ran George's 29 Model A in local street races.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Eddie Munster...first off the Archives of Threads are Hamb Gold...there is never a need to apologize for opening them up...I encourage it...case in point, look what your offering...what a stunning Hotrod Grandpa had and the History with Family connections to The Wheelers, even better...

Thanks for sharing and perhaps your Uncle has more images and things tucked away...is your Uncle a Hotrodder/former Hotrodder?...

By the way welcome to the Hamb...your getting off to a rock solid start here...I always enjoy the connections members have to Past Hotrod/Custom greatness...;)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  27. Eddie Munster

Eddie Munster

@Stogy , thanks for the welcome! I am trying to get my hands on more of the picture albums that my grandparents put together. As for my uncle, he built a number of VW projects back in his early days, but not much of a hotrodder. He does have a late 30s Chevy truck that my grandfather purchase from the school district he worked for. It was disassembled in a, "lets see what we have here" kick many years ago and has been in that state since. Would love to see that truck running again someday.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, I remember the "Wheelers" when in hi school 1946-1950, they had club jackets too. That was in Inglewood Hi.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, this has turned into a great and informative thread.

Stogy likes this.