Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody have any VIDEOS WITH SOUND.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6sally6, Sep 28, 2020.

1. 6sally6

6sally6

...of Hemis....Cammers.....Super Stockers....idling/warming-up in pits or garage area!!!
    Just looking through the MoPar thread and wondered if.....the "sweet racket" has been videoed!
    Thanx in advance.
    6sally6

2. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 6,

Here is the best sound of the Sidewinder Hemi firing up, warming up and making a powerful run at Lion's Dragstrip in 1959. I took the films, had my LP album of the same race car sounds from 1959 digitized and edited them together so as to create a live action sound from 1959. Same race car, same sound, only a month apart. Spring and Summer films, September Labor Day 1959 sounds.

Since we did not carry around a tape recording device, this is the best that can be made of the original sound of the original car within a month of each other.

Jnaki

Enjoy the film and sound. TURN UP THE VOLUME and it makes a great day at Lions in 1959.
    The Sidewinder at Lion's Dragstrip 1959.

This film was taken in 1959. If you are interested in the Super Stockers, then that came between 64 and later years. So, someone must have had a camera that recorded sound from those later years. As technology grew, so did the availability of cameras that had recording capabilities. (or at least a smaller tape recorder.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

Pretty cool! I saw A sidewinder (or two) at the Don Garlits Museum a while back!
    I guess this was a chain drive set up?!
    6sally6

jnaki likes this.
  4. I put these on youtube awhile ago.

5. 6sally6

6sally6

Hey!!!!!!!
    That's like the old "sound effects" album I bought back in the 60's. COOL!!
    It had sounds from the finish line.....from the starting line....4-speeds......missed shifts.....engines blowing up....single runs.....
    6sally6

Desoto291Hemi and Elcohaulic like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

If anyone has actual names to go with the drag racing sounds, perhaps we can trade. @Paul has helped me out with digital drag racing sounds and names to go along with them. I am still looking for someone that has the 61-63 Winternationals LP album with names or the Griff Borgeson’s Bakersfield March Meet Album or digital sounds.

Digital sounds are better and easier to send via email and safer, too. How to get those valuable sounds to me? There are lots of new low cost record players with USB connections and programs that allow anyone to digitally transfer any LP Album from record to digital files.

The record players that have the ability to convert the LP sounds to digital files runs from $40 to $200+ The higher end ones have just too much stuff, but someone might like all of the accessories. If any LP record player has the ability to have a USB plug or connection to a computer, then you, too, can make digital sounds. That way, the LP album corrodes over time, but your digital recording will last a lot longer and becomes more useful, especially on any “modern device, like phones or tablets” for you hard core drag racing fans.

Jnaki

Anyone with DVDs or CDs are in the same boat. Those fragile discs will break or corrode over time and need to be digitally converted to mp3 files, for a longer life time span. The only way to lose those digital files is to fall asleep while transferring the files and accidently erasing the recordings. But, there are computer programs that can find those lost or erased files.

So, with that in mind, please look to see if you have LP drag racing albums that actually have the names to go along with the sounds. (Not just “a dragster with a loud motor going down the strip versions”.)

Here is one Gas Coupe and Sedan’s powerful sound that can be transposed to any old gas coupe or sedan, but it was only the smooth driving and shifting of Junior Thompson that can be used in editing this old film clip.

Junior Thompson at Lion’s Dragstrip in 1959 (real 1959 Junior Thompson sound from a month later)

PLEASE PM me ASAP if you have the above mentioned LP Albums or digital sounds. For you LP record collectors, check out the information on the back of the albums to see if you have some albums with certified names of the drag racers and their race cars. If so, you are in business. Please let me know. Old films are fun to watch, but the old films with certified sounds of the powerful motors are REALLY fun to watch. There are very few old films with real sounds from back in that era.
    upload_2020-10-4_4-46-45.png
    If anyone's LP albums have a back cover that has this type of information, perhaps we can talk.
    Thanks...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Most I've found have little or no information on the cars recorded, this LP is typical, interesting and fun background noise in the shop but not very helpful in pairing with silent movies in a historical sense.

1oldtimer and jnaki like this.
  8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent.
    Great way to wake up this morning. LOL
    I have the dig out recording.

9. 6sally6

6sally6

What a nice set-up!!
    Interesting hot rods too.......
    Thanx
    6sally6

10. I have that one too, also in an mp3 file.....I need to upload it to youtube.