Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody have any info on this car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopdtop, Jan 9, 2007.

1. chopdtop

chopdtop

I saw this car n a car lot several years back. Glad I still had my camera in the truck.

I took a few pictures of it when the lot owner came out and asked if he could help me. Told him I was just looking at the car and getting a few pictures. I asked if he had any information about the car like where it came from or anything like that and he just said "NOPE" and turned around and walked back inside.

Attached Files:

2. Back to the top for ya. I'ld be curious to know more also, that looks cool!!-MIKE:cool: :cool:

3. Rikster

Rikster

Interesting mid/late 50's custom.
    I have seen several 55-56 Chevies using this side trim design. I know of one built by Joe Bailon, which is not this one, different head and taillights.
    I have looked in some of my Trend Book Annuals, but no luck so far.
    I might have it somewhere... I will keep it in my mind next time I have a old magazine browse session.

4. Rikster

Rikster

Found it...

Joe Wilhelm built this 56 for Jack Snyder.
    There is a color photo of it in Andy Southard's Custom Cars of the 50's book on page 125. According the book the photo is of its second version. The photo shows it in candy magetha/red with gold fading and gold inbetween the side trim. An earlyer version was with flames (and it was featured in the magazines... ) The photo in the book was taken in 1960.
    I cant scan the photo right now... but will try to get it as soon as possible. And will see if I can locate the earlyer version.

Would be an intersting restoration project... a nice one to safe for the future... if its still around today

5. RIK, when are you going to move to this side of the pond and run for president? Between you, Frenz and 00Mack, you could rule the custom world!-MIKE:eek: :cool: :D

6. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

Rik is the man!!!!!!!!

7. waynejell

waynejell
    from USA

Are those 60 chrysler tail lights?

:D

8. chopdtop

chopdtop

Wow that was fast! Thanks Rikster.

Ends up that I wasn't the only one around here that stopped and took pictures. Another friend of mine showed me his pics when he got them back and I laughed because I didn't tell him I took pics of the car too. We never found out where the car was heading to or where it came from.
    Can't wait to see the pics of the car.

Maybe I should ask about another car around here that I know was in magazines. It's a 1938 Ford sedan from Pueblo, CO that was owned by a Dan Knezevich. I know it was in some early 50's mags. Sorry I don't have a pic or any other info about the car. Heard about the car forever and saw it once years ago in a mag.

Thanks again Rikster

Attached Files:

9. I think i saw this car up for sale on Recycler for about 5-6 years ago. It also was a pic on it when it wa painted some kind of Maroon or Burgundy color and White inside the trim. Check if RPW has some info on the car!!

10. Here is the scan out of the Southard book.-MIKE:cool:

[​IMG]

11. Rikster

Rikster

Thanks for the scan Mike.

I have searched for the earlyer version last night, but so far I have been unable to find it. I sure would love to see the early version as well.

12. chopdtop

chopdtop

Thanks for the scan.
    That car would look nice restored back to that condition. I wonder if the new owner has done anything with it or where the car is now and what it looks like today?
    I also wonder if the new owner has the picture that you scanned so he knows what it looked like and could look like.

13. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I REALLY hope it didn't get turned into a parts car- one of the better '56 kustoms. Don't realy like the quarter panel upper stainless (looks like a fish tail), but really like the car.

14. Jerry_Rolls&Pleats

Jerry_Rolls&Pleats
    from Europe

I think Ed Reavie (organizer of the St Ignace show) used to own this car in the 80's. I remember him telling me about it and showing me a photo of it.

15. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

My name is Jerry Nielsen and this was my High School ride in '60-'62.I bought the car from Jack Snyder of Salinas,Ca. after he was drafted into the Army.Jack bought the car new and had K's bodyshop hood and deck it ,remove door handles and reverse the side trim.Ronnie Goodsell of the Bean Bandits C'd the frame and dropped the A Frames to lower it 7" all around.Don Varner who designed all of the famous Cushenberry cars painted it Maroon and flamed and striped it.It was featured in R&C .Later Jack had it fully customized by Joe Wilhelm of San Jose,Ca-Extended hood,'56 Chrysler Grill Shell with '58 Pontiac Mesh,Narrowed '56 Dodge Front Bumper,Canted '58 Lincoln Quad Headlights,'50 Studebaker Front Fender Sides,Dual '56 Packard Tail-lights,'56 Chev.Rear Bumper with cut down '53 Merc.Guards.All the body work was done in lead and the detail was incredible as Joe was a perfectionist.The interior was a fully sculptured white naughahyde by Bill Manger of Castroville,Ca.When I bought it from Jack the paint was badly faded and cracked.I had Joe Wilhelm strip it and paint it Candy Tangerine with fine Metalflake and Pearl White Sidetrim.Andy Southard striped it.I showed it 3 times in '62-San Jose,Monterey and the Oakland Roadster Show where it took first place in Semi-Custom Hardtop.I traded the car in on a brand new Black '62 Corvette.Would appreciate any info on the cars current owner,location and condition.Contact me at [email protected]

16. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

The HAMB magic strikes again :):):)

Got any pics of registration plates on car/trailer guys? Maybe you can track it down that way.

Keep up the work guys, this is fun.

Paul

17. Damn, Jerry, WELCOME. That's the kind of intro I like, Thanks for the info.-MIKE:eek: :cool:

18. Rikster

Rikster

The May 1958 Rod & Custom magazine had a one page feature on the car when the car was painted maroon with some wild flames. The front and rear are still pretty much stock on this version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a bit larger scan of how it looked in 62, when Joe Wilhelm had performed his magic to it.

[​IMG]

19. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Rikster, You could dedicate a full day to looking at your photos. I am about half way through them now. Do you know of any 59 buicks in Netherlands? Great site! Thanks TP

20. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Are you sure that wasnt the clone of the Joe Flowers "Venus"?

21. chopdtop

chopdtop

The car itself didn't have any plates on it or in it. The trailer had Colorado plates but all I can see in the pics I took are the last 2 digits "31" which is completely useless.
    Time flies because I said it was a few years back. The plates have a 2000 sticker on them. So it was before 2000.

That's awesome that one of the past owners is on here.

22. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

I have traced the car after it was on a trailer in Colorado.The last known place was at the Benton Antique Mall in either Kansas or Missouri.If anyone lives nearby,I would appreciate it if you could go by and see where the car went from there.If I call them or Email them,they will not respond.There is always one car you wish you had kept and this car is mine.Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

23. You've gotta love the HAMB! As a side note I think Mangers in Castroville is still in business stiching interiors....

24. mikeys toy

mikeys toy
    from jOklahoma

HOLY CRAP!!! I was at the Benton auto mall last July; but I didn't see it there....

25. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

It appears that my search for my old '56 is at a standstill.I believe that the car is in the Mid West-Possibly Kansas or Missouri.This car has been neglected too long.As the original owner and builder are deceased,my goal is to locate the car,hopefully purchase it and restore it to its original look to preserve the memories.As I am 62 years old this will probably be my last custom.Would sincerely appreciate any help in finding the car.

26. Ken Carvalho

Ken Carvalho

GREAT intro, and great to have you here, please keep us posted and updated, there are plenty that would like to follow along your rebuild if you recover it (Ihope you do) as well. My want back car is mounted on a roof in Couer D' Alene, Idaho, 45 min. away, I hate seeing it up there every time I am there!! Old 50's style restaurant, and new owners won't let me get it down!!!...Ken

27. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

This is awesome post....Even better having Jerry here. Thats been one of my fav's for a long time and about sh!t myslf when i saw that pic. Its nice to know its survived all these years and hopefully its keeping up its fight. I pray to god nobody tampers with that...

28. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

Let's keep this post active.I am still hopeful that with the help of the people of this site we will be able to locate my old car and hopefully see it restored.All help is deeply appreciated.

29. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Jerry, I don't suppose you have an old registration or something else with a VIN number on it? If so, you could do a DOT search in those 2 states. Oh yeah, great car and great history.

30. Jerry Nielsen

Jerry Nielsen

Unfortunately I don't have any old registration papers or VIN number.Wish I did as that is a great idea for locating the car.If anyone has any info or ideas,please share.
    Thanks