Register now to get rid of these ads!

anybody have a basic disk front drum rear brake line diagram

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by peter schmidt, Apr 5, 2013.

1. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Need to plumb up a 53 chevy truck its got mustang two front discs and later model chevy drum rear brakes looking for a basic diagram to get me started has a 87 chevy van master cylinder im not sure if the proportioning valve is in the truck bed with all the other parts or not yet. any body have a diagram that could help with plumbing this thing

2. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

look up Engineered Components Inc on the web. They have what your looking for.

leadfootloon likes this.
  3. erikv999

erikv999

get a speedway catalog i think it has one plus its free

leadfootloon likes this.
  4. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

So after looking at the couple diagrams i could find do i just run the line from the large side of the master cylinder to the front discs and small side to the rear druns with a proportioning valve run inline? Sound good?

5. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

If you are using a dual master cylinder you should use a portioning valve. The type of valve that goes in the line to the rear brakes is not really a portioning valve but a flow control valve. It slows the fluid down so the front brakes come in sooner. They may call them portioning valves but they do not regulate the pressure between the front and the rear like a stock valve does. You will need one from a similar type system, disc front / drum rear.

6. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Ok how do i plumb the stock type proportioning valve?

7. airhead

airhead

Go to speedway online, look up proportioning valves, go to the stock looking one and look for installation instructions.

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Total BS. The proportioning valve, whether stock fixed value or aftermarket adjustable, limits rear line pressure to a percentage of master cylinder pressure once the knee or crack point has been reached.

You are much better off using an adjustable aftermarket prop valve, simply plumbed inline from the rear brake master cylinder port to the rear brakes. Production style fixed value "combination" valves usually include things along with the prop valve you don't need or want, like front metering and a differential pressure switch. These were made and calibrated for certain vehicles, not intended to be universal, like many suppliers want you to believe.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  9. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Ok cool I'll order the adjustable one from speedway seems simple to plum in since it's just in line with the rear brakes I'll just run all the front lines untill it comes in.

10. Roadsire

Roadsire

11. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

I believe 40 streetrod suggested ECI,these people do this for a living. I would give them a call and get it right.