Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anybody got good shots of their Dad's old cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheTrailerGuy, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Yes , I'd love to see more of that article. I have 2 of the Jan. 55 Hotrod Magazines , but none of the Rod & Custom Magazine article. Thank You for posting these pics...…. D Mc

rudestude likes this.
  2. rudestude

rudestude

Here is the complete article Dave....that's a cool story... I see on the side of the truck it says upholstery work...is that your dad's ad? If so he apparently was , is, a man of many talents... did he build any more of them? and what ever became of that one? Terry(Rudestude) IMG_20181111_133246~2.jpeg IMG_20181111_133308~2.jpeg IMG_20181111_133325~2.jpeg IMG_20181111_133335~2.jpeg

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jalopy Joker and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Gosh, those are the days when Detroit was king and "cars were cars"
    that didn't all look alike. What a shame from 1970's on it all went away.
    Sadly, that was the American economy's turning point.

4. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

I forgot I had this pic. Here's my brother and I (I'm in the hat)sitting on the fender of my Dad's old 48 Merc convertible;

Old Merc.jpg

5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Me showing Dad how to tune up the old 62!!
    IMG_7077.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. Mom took this one, Dad's first car, a '41 Pontiac Torpedo. Chicken house behind us, Honey our dog begging for a treat from my older sister. Dad took the clearer photo in my avatar. Sunday morning, before the 40-mile trip to the big city for church. Man, I thought that spotlight was so cool!

Dads Pics 066.JPG

7. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Oldest shot we have was this one; technically it's my granddad's car but he let my dad and my aunt pick it out at the dealer he worked for. Red '49 Plymouth fastback:
    Michael Allan Brame and Jefferson Davis Brame 1949.jpg
    My uncle and Granddad, and his tie.

Next was a '48 DeSoto in '52:
    dads48desoto-evanston1952.jpg

Then a new '53 Bel Air:
    53chevy-colorado1956.jpg

And finally, the one I wish he kept, a 1957 Buick Century he ordered in November '56; Dawn Gray over black with factory A/C:
    dads57buick.jpg
    Traded in after the Dynaflow quit flowing in '62.

8. Chrisbcritter, Cool photos. I think that grandads cars are probably okay here too. This is my Grandad and Grandma's model T roadster. 389.jpg

9. rudestude

rudestude

10. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Posted recently in a Model T thread, but certainly fits here. It's 1935...Dad's a 17 year old h.s.
    senior, driving a 1913 Model T Touring. He courted my Mom (successfully, obviously) in it. DSC_0205.JPG DSC_0206.JPG With his school chum in his '35. DSC_0207.JPG DSC_0210.JPG Rest In Peace, Pop

11. rudestude

rudestude

And here's some shots of his second car, this is the car he had when my not yet mother and him got together.... my mom would talk about the times when my dad would get in a drag race out on the old dike road and sometimes she would get to flag the race or that a few time's they would be out for a drive and get stopped and accused of stealing the car because young guy's around there didn't usually have nice hot rod cars, as they called them,.... I was always curious if I was made in the back seat.....they would never give me a answer.... I figured well my mom had to quit HS because she was pregnant with me .... I was born the night that she would of been graduating .....and there wedding anniversary is a few months before my birth day and my age is the same number of years they have been married....now 57 years...but dads old Hot Rod wasn't so lucky...one night coming home from work he lost a rear wheel in a corner and ran it down the side of a rock bluff off the hiway.... I am currently building a 50 Bel-Air like his... hopefully I can get it finished while they are still around and they can take some more drives together and maybe mom might even get to flag another race.....that would be Kool.... IMG_20181112_014023.jpeg 20160327_173203~2-3.jpeg 20160327_173232-1.jpeg IMG_20181112_014131.jpeg IMG_20181112_014348.jpeg IMG_20181112_014148.jpeg

12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Thank You Rudestude , I saved the article to my computer, so now I have it ! can't say how much I appreciate this . Yes he built 3 of the Little trucks , the 2nd one was powered by a Studebaker Golden Hawk V8 , it was Stolen and never recovered. I searched for both by placing Ad's in several different publications , the only response I received came from someone in Pennsylvania that remembered one from a car show in a small town there , I contacted the Chamber of Commerce in the town mentioned , and was told they too remembered the little truck , but had no records of exhibitors , so My Dad built another one , Chevy V6 powered ,which I still have . because it has 3 axles and Air Brakes , I cannot afford to insure it , the Ins. Companies want astronomical money for a policy , so it sits on my property looking neglected . D Mc. P.S. ( the Upholstery Advertisement on the side of the Bed was a Friend of my Dad's who had just opened a New Shop , My Dad was giving him Ad space to help him get started )

our pic`s 181.jpg

13. rudestude

rudestude

That's really cool that one is still around... that's too bad you can't find away too insure it ... probably be a big job to convert to hydraulic brakes....that's a shame to let it sit over a technicality like that but I know how sometimes no matter how good your intentions are somethings just don't workout....this one I hope does....anyways Dave thank you for getting back to me with the info....and I know how easy it is to loose things on computer's , I have been told I personally do not own one , if you PM me your address I will send you my copy of the magazine....it's cover is a little tattered but the rest of it including the article is in good shape.... I would be honored to have it be part of your collection..... Thank You....
    Terry(Rudestude) IMG_20181112_073722_1.jpeg

14. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-11-25_4-24-38.png 1936 Dodge sedan in 1939. Then it was the long line of Buicks up to 1982.
    Hello,

My dad was a sportsman in high school, college and afterwards with his semi pro baseball traveling team. His knowledge of sports and skills given to me are still banging around in my head. He survived the 1933 Long Beach earthquake as he stood in the LB Wilson HS campus (then a college) went through a lot of stuff, had a couple of rowdy little kids, and had a long life until 1984.

“LBCC started its service on the Woodrow Wilson High School campus in 1927. Due to a devastating earthquake in 1933, the school was flattened and classes had to be held in tents and outdoors. Later, in 1935, the college was relocated to its present Liberal Arts Campus, at Clark Avenue and Carson Street in southeast Long Beach.”

Growing up in San Pedro and Terminal Island, he was off and running around with his friends and in 1939, bought his first car. But, it was not a Buick sedan, as he came to be well known for owning a long line of Buicks, until his passing. His first real car was a 1936 Dodge that got him around all of So Cal back then.

In 1959, he told the brothers about one of his favorite Chevy coupes he saw at Lions Dragstrip. He saw it on one of his three visits there in 1959. (Actually, we thought he was checking up on us as to what we were doing at Lions every weekend.) Our dad was just having the time of his life watching those race cars rumble down the dragstrip. He told us that his favorite was a 1937 Tahitian Red, Chevy coupe. Of course, his taste for old Chevy Coupes was non other than Doug Cook's B/Gas coupe.

(It was slightly different than his 38, but it was a Chevy Coupe with a different grille.)
    upload_2018-11-25_4-41-2.png upload_2018-11-25_4-42-4.png
    He told me how happy he was not having to ride a bus to get around. He saved enough money at various jobs to afford his own first car. High school and college without a car? How can that be? Their activities centered around the community of San Pedro and Terminal Island, with bus rides into Long Beach to the East and Santa Monica to the North.

Jnaki

It was a different time back then as cars were not the central part of growing up in So Cal, like it was in our time, and even today.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  15. sport fury

sport fury

16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-12-6_3-1-23.png 1941 Buick Long Beach, CA in 1948(first photo in front of our trailer park home in 1947, the second, in front of the white picket fence in 1948) The Buick was bought in 1946 and was the first in a long line of Buick sedans (9) until his passing in 1984.

Hello,

Out in front of our newly purchased, first house, in the farthest western border of Long Beach(in 1948), was a wide street and rows of palm trees. When I was 5-6 years old, I used to run down the whole block to meet my dad coming home from work. (The Westside LB area was safe back then…)

He would put me on his lap and allow me to steer his big, 1941 Buick for weeks of “driving” a real car down the block. He showed me how to park in front of the house under some giant palm trees.

So, at age 6 years old, I had actually steered a 1941 Buick Fastback Sedan and rolled it up to the curb in front of the house. It did not matter which way the Buick was facing as our street was relatively deserted.

Jnaki

It was my first experience “driving/steering” a real car. I loved it then and it continues to today. It is hard for me to sit in the passenger seat and have someone else drive any car.
    upload_2018-12-6_3-5-24.png
    One day, my dad rolls up in a huge, black,4 door 1949 Buick Roadmaster. The same thing was done daily. Run down, get picked up, steer all the way back to the curbside parking under the giant palm trees. (The huge 1949 Buick Roadmaster seemed like it was easier to steer, for the “after work” driving, steering, and parking lessons.)

This went on until 1950, when my mom noticed that I would disappear around 5:45 P.M. each evening for at least 20 minutes. One day she was calling for me and finally saw the big black, 1949 Buick roll up to the giant Palm tree area in front of the house, park evenly with the curb, (not scratching those huge whitewalls) and then jump out of the driver’s side door. She immediately “went off” on my dad for allowing me to do such a dangerous thing. (She did not drive a car as yet…)

Jnaki

Thanks, dad… for your involvement, allowing me to have some sense of power, teaching me the finer points of steering, and your stability with the long line of Buick sedans.
    upload_2018-12-6_3-8-30.png While on our last teenage vacation, my mom was standing guard over the 57 Buick Roadmaster at a cabin in the Mammoth Lakes region.

Buick backing out of our driveway in Long Beach...look at that cool rear window design split...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  17. cabong

cabong

I bought a Crosley based Almquist Engineering Saber bodied special which had been powered by a Crosley, a Harley knucklehead, and a flathead "60". I vintage raced the little bugger for many years. I bought the critter from the original buider, Bob Suffecool. He told me that he had built a semi tractor based on a Crosley, and sent me pictures. He sold it when he built the Saber. Several years later he was at some kind of car event and saw his "semi". The current (then) owner said he had built the truck, all by himself. Bob is a really nice guy, and chose not to burst his bubble, and walked away. I believe this is the same rig, with a flatbed installed......

18. cabong

cabong

I forgot to mention, my Dad worked for the Corps of Engineers (not pronounced corpse) in the late 30's early 40's, and his "work truck" was a 38 Ford woody......

19. 392

6C68BBD0-4F10-4D72-95BD-69B1C87CD10F.jpeg E4FD6B96-8321-41CC-99F6-DCA5130065D1.jpeg F47D8D49-97F1-48F6-A433-0DC4C57C5A50.jpeg I posted these already on a identify thread and seen this one so ditto. Story also was he painted a 34 ford with a women’s powder puff and the family from back then said it was beautiful. Simple stuff.

Shutter Speed and Jalopy Joker like this.
  20. Screenshot_20181206-181748_Gallery.jpg

Phoenix Arizona .... Luke AFB terror, Ssgt Gary James Campbell's 1957 Bel Air .... 1971 to 1974 ... 8000 rpm, pop piston, .060 over 327, 4 speed, 4.11 Olds rear end. Wish we could find it today.

Any of you guys have an engine less 57 from Arizona, bought in '74, with a black metallic dash, and convertible springs ... give me a ring a ling ... please.

EDIT : You'll notice the radiused rear wheel wells ... done correctly with fender lip. Probably doesn't exist anymore .... but I have never seen another radiused wheel well done better .... back in the day.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    oldpl8s, bowie and Jalopy Joker like this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

22. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

20181201_195635.jpg My dad a while before I was around. Maybe 62-63. 51 ford he bulit then drove back home to Michigan from California to give to his dad.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2018
  23. 37dodge

37dodge

My Grandfather's Ford in Chicago 1938. He named the car Rosalie. 34Ford, Rosalie, Museum Sci and Industry, Chicago 1938.jpg

StraightAxle64Nova likes this.
  24. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

Going way back

Attached Files:

25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

My Dad’s 62 back in the day. Still remember going to the drive in in that car!
    IMG_7979.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

enloe and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  26. Dad's Tucker
    Image (931x1280).jpg

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  27. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

The first pic is my Dad in 1942. The second pic is my Dad lookin sporty. Not sure when the second pic was taken but I still wasn't around yet.

IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0442.JPG

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  28. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Here's my Nomad in 1974. Dad sold it in 1978 and I got it back in '98. PD_0009[2].JPG

29. That is actually a 1936 Dodge Brothers D2 in the very first photo. I used to own a couple of them.... post-37352-143142185398.jpg

jnaki likes this.
  30. jnaki

jnaki

Hey 31,
    Thanks for the update and identification. Now, that photo will have a correct caption in our files and family photo album. It was the first since I had those films digitized in 2015. That photo came off of an old movie that was taken when he had graduated from college and was on his way to a vacation. That old film looked like an ancient movie reel that we all used to see at the "real movie theaters" on a Saturday afternoon.

Thank you for the the valuable identification.

If my brother were still here, he would have flipped at the information. We grew up with the idea that every car my dad owned and drove was a Buick, from 1941 to 1982. Every 4 years, he came home with a new Buick. We did ask about his first car, but the info just flew over our heads...

Jnaki
    I was all caught up writing about our dad liking Doug Cook's 37 Chevy at Lion's Dragstrip and back in 2015, I incorrectly identified his first car as a 38 Chevy, not a Dodge.

Thanks for the correct ID.

Ron Funkhouser and 31Dodger like this.