Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody ever bought a used motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loveoftiki, Jul 30, 2018.

1. I really got lucky. I needed a running donor car as mentioned by many above. I found exactly what I had hoped to find, but never thought I would. Insurance auto auctions. I had my mind set on an OT 4.6dohc (yeah, Ford's LS version) Found a 52k Mark VIII that had rear quarter damage......as I said never thought I'd actually find that, but that's what I went looking for. The car had 4 new Michelins on it, an oil change with 14 miles, no nicks, scratches (except for the accident damage), white leather interior that looked never sat in. A showroom car. As it turned out, the car was from Amarillo (auction was in Lubbock) and the guy I sold it to after I took off what I needed, turns out he was a friend of the original owner. He called him, found out the guy had bought it new in 95, garaged all it's life' never problem one, was his baby. They went out one saturday, had the new tires put on, got an oil change and went to dinner. While they were in the restraunt eating, somebody plowed into the back of the Mark.
    In some states, like Texas, the public cannot buy at insurance auctions, it's a state to state thing, but you can work around it legally. Costs a little more, but not a real biggie. My total costs on the Mark was the 1,000 I won the bid on and another 750. broker fee, aution house fee, and trailer rental........1,750. total. I sold the stripped Mark for 600.
    I've put 22k miles on the car since finishing it 2 1/2 years ago.

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm party to the no crate motor crew. I like cool old motors cranking out modern hp.

No crate motors for the bandit. Currently building a hemi from 60+ years ago that I'll be proud to open my hood with.

3. Thoughts on this...1300 bucks, msd, Edelbrock, has some nice parts on it..

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  4. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

loudbang likes this.
  5. I know that would be a hot little street motor that B303 cam has a nice lumpy idle and pulls to 6K

loudbang likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a 356" SBC IMCA "claimer" alcohol engine last year for a back-up engine also labeled fresh with one race where the car was totalled for $3100. Comp was 14.2 to 1 which was too much for our gasoline class. I took it apart finding everything was top notch. I put in a a thicker head gasket and lowered the comp to 13.7-1 which was OK. Bought a Performance Plus intake and it dynoed 491 @ 6000. We run Iron heads by the rules and these RHS that are desirable but no longer available, Stainless rockers, Custom JE pistons, Eagle rods and crank, comp 1/2 mile cam and all ARP fasteners plus receipts for all the machine work including steel main caps.
    Maybe just luck but I bought this right in my mind and hope we never use it.

loudbang likes this.
  7. *I have never bought an engine that was not used. LOL

You can find built engines and stock engines left over from someone's project all the time reasonable. The 235 that used to be in the @raven 's AD truck was a junk yard motor. I think it was the 4th time we shoved a mill in that truck and we used it out of desperation. He ran that motor about 7 years and ran it hard.

One of the members here has a 413 car motor complete with tranny real reasonable as we speak. if I had any extra cash at all I would own it today.

*I built my 355 from a new block and it was as close to a new engine I have ever bought. The crank and rods were used though. ;)

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

[​IMG].
    283, hooked to a TH 350 with a shift kit for $1000. Bought from a guy who pulled it from a nice ‘65 Malibu putting an LS in it. Strong running, nice little engine.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and swade41 like this.
  9. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Couple of years ago bought a '51 flattie for $1000. Guy said it was recently rebuilt and ran it on a stand for a short time for me. Installed it in my rod and couldn't get much oil pressure at all. Having rebuilt a lot of them I tore onto it. Make a long story short, whoever assembled it forgot to put the plug in the front of the oil galley. While the pan was off I checked the bearings and they showed no wear or damage at all. The bottoms of the pistons showed no use(clean). Put it in the rod at the left and it runs fine. I think the guy that sold it to me was dumping it on me.

10. Pulled the trigger on this..gotta change the oil pump, and sump, the timing cover and water pump...will give me a chance to see how it looks. Also have a friend with a test stand I can fire it on.. if it’s a turd I’ll take advantage of the 90 day return. The place has pretty good reviews and is pretty well known in the late model mustang world....I guess I’ll find out what I got myself into soon enough

loudbang likes this.
  11. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I think everyone gets a little nervous about a new-to-them used engine ('cause they still ain't exactly cheap!) but in the end most of them work out just fine. And hell, 90 days is 90 days. Nice fallback plan. :D

loudbang likes this.
  12. Thanks...your post puts me at ease a little...Yeah of course now everyone is giving me the “oh no you did what” including the guy that wanted to sell me the parts to build my 289...and that bill was way more than what I payed for the motor..I’m gonna pray the engine gods are good to me..and yep if it’s a turd it will go back....if it’s not it should really make my Falcon move down the road

loudbang likes this.
  13. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

I've got lots and lots of 289/302 parts; let me know if you need anything, or just want a hand dropping it in. It's way more fun when you're not the guy footing the bill.