Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody else running a strange motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwinpartss, Apr 2, 2010.

1. That's one lucky 7 year old!!! (I only got a 24" JC Higgins bike when I turned 7...)

Did you know Mickey Thompson made speed equipment for the Tempest 4 (which was half a 389)? He also had a dragster with a blown slant 4 in it back around '61. :cool:

2. OldCrow

OldCrow

Oh ya. I put several hours on it in the test stand when designing the injection.

Russ

3. sabre62

sabre62

How about a 215 Buick in a Duece?

Attached Files:

4. krek

krek
    from Missouri

Those aluminum 215 V8s are sweet. I'm putting a Daimler 2.5 litre hemi in my mini dirt track project... already been chastised for not using a banger.

[​IMG]

5. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Thats a neat looking little motor

6. Great little engines and very tunable.

7. I can believe that - here in the UK a running and roadworthy BMW 750 or 740 (the V8) from the mid to late 1990's can be had for around £1200 Sterling. Pull the motor and part out the car and the engine and gearbox will have cost you bugger all.

8. 28RPU6

28RPU6

Ive got a twin cam I6 Benz motor in my model A RPU. Its a handfull and I either get asked what is that or did you really put a Mercedes motor in there.

Attached Files:

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I scored a 289 Stude for my T.

10. ken1939

ken1939

I know the "traditional movement" has its quirky side. Like Groucho Marx said, "I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me as a member" in some ways you can say that about people that are the "traditional police"

What I do like about "traditional" to me is it gets people back to the real roots and ideas behind building cars in the first place. The lack of "billet" bought products. The old engineering that still works. Like Indian Larry would say, he liked to build bikes that had all the mechanical parts showing. So you can look back and see how it works.

I think Rodding has been inendated since the early 90s with the catalog mentality. Everyone had to have that polished Hedits rear independent.
    Or whatever the latest gizmo was.

I do like the safety advances the sport or hobby has seen since the 70s. Heck I remember going to rod runs only an hour away, and everyone in the group carried a special part or tool in case someone broke down.
    Heck, who carries fuses anymore?

What I do like with the "traditional" sense is also the experimentation with all things. Motors, transmission, rear ends, 4 bars, bags, quick changes, l4s, V8s, In heads, In block, Overheads, blowers, hilborn, multicarbs.. well you get the idea.

Keep wrenching on what you desire to build, create what you want to create on your own canvases of steel, glass and cloth. Build it honest, build it safe, drive it, explain it but never apologize.

11. I'm using a Rat engine in one of my hotrods. Can I say that here? We all know what a Rat is don't we?

12. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Its getting closer to being driveable.... I cant wait

[​IMG]

13. VonMisfit

VonMisfit
    from Alabama

im glad im not the only one that feels this way

14. Vtwin,
    Got any detail photos of that distributor setup (maybe I just didn't see them here at work)? I'm building one from a 90 750iL for a handbuilt speedster. Either going 5 carbed or a potvin style blower setup (like the Bentley).
    Congrats on the response, BTW. I got bitch-slapped a couple years ago when I brought this same engine up. Maybe you better PM me...:cool:

15. teddyp

teddyp

your a true hot rodder

16. James427

James427
    BANNED

I'm using one of these in mine too. Making my own intake though. I've got a 5spd out of a SP250 Dart but I'm looking for the 4.5 liter version of the engine.

17. Back in the '70s there was a guy that used to race on Mulholland Drive in the Hollywood Hills in a mid-engined VW bug. Power was a souped-up 2 litre Pinto engine.

18. Put the word out to the UK and New Zealand based HAMBers for one of those big-inch Daimler engines. I think you'll find that the 2.5 litre versions were more of a performance engine than the Conquest/Majestic Major mill which really was designed to haul around a heavy lump of steel.

19. James427

James427
    BANNED

It's my understanding that both engines look identicle but the 4.5 had a larger bore and longer stroke and a lot more HP.

20. Russ Carpenter in England ran one in the 70's that was running 7 sec quarters, not bad for 2.5 litres & not a lot of work. One of the UK Rod mags did a feature on the mods he made over a 5 month period.

21. It's the bore/stroke ratio I was referring to. In any case, it's a cool engine to play around with.

22. James427

James427
    BANNED

Hey Vtwinparts, don't sweat it. Yeah there may be a crowd around your car talking smack about the engine you are running, but there ALWAYS will be a crowd around your car!

23. rodger6494

rodger6494

I've been trying to figure out how to mate a hayabusa motor to a regular transmission.No luck as yet,except to pay 12 grand for a special crank and flex plate. Not goin that route.It would be nice to have an engine making over 300hp(with a turbo) weighing under 300lbs that can rev over 13000 rpm though.The same company is making a V8 out of 2 hayabusa motors. It makes around 500 hp and still revs up to 13000 without any power adders. Just think of the power to weight ratio!! Now if I only had 27 grand just laying around. I think I'll just stick with the 318 I have. When my coffers are refilled,I'll probably stroke it out to a 392. I figure that'll be unique enough.

24. edweird

edweird

what he said!

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I believe in using what you got and what you know..no matter if its not what others like or not.,, because if they aint building it, than it isnt theirs to say what you should use.
    So easy for someone to say "hey you should be running this mill or that mill"..but when you tell them this is all i have or know, and ask them to offer you up their choice of engine , they always seem to fade away..
    you engine bullies need to put up or shut up..

looks like a Hot Rod to me..rock on man

anyone out there that dont like my SBC,, can give me a running trimmed out engine of your choice any day..I'll put it in..any takers..yeah right..thought so.

nothing but a bunch of hot air

I can dig this mans vision and build..i wanna hear it too

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  26. skywolf

skywolf

Here's an Italian hot rod, a Fiat 600 with a Kawasaki Ninja 1200. There are a lot of hillclimb cars in Europe with motorcycle engines. They're all pretty crazy. Well worth a look. :)

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUCLlKmLSDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

27. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Sorry to see it crash, sure looks like a hot rod to me. And I bet he didn't pay a big shop to do all the work. At least I hope he didn't.

28. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Personally I'm not into the classification of hot rods. I'm still guilty of doing it, as most of us are "no, thats not a hot rod, it has air conditioning and billet wheels, its a street rod...", but I think thats trivial. If it makes the owner smile and he enjoys it, thats all that matters. I try not to chastise someone because of their likes and dislikes-thats what makes this world so diverse and innovative. I really like that willys. It has the right look (and man does it look badass, haha) I would consider it as pure a hot rod as milner's duece in american graffiti. I don't think I would call it "traditional" but "traditional-inspired" or "built in traditional attitude". But who cares, its a little hot rod with a big blown motor-thats cool. Can't wait to hear it!!!!!

29. rodger6494

rodger6494

That little Fiat was shittin and gettin. Too bad he wrecked. The idea bout the hayabusa motor came from a vw golf I saw on youtube. I reckon any motor in the 1200 cc range would work. I'm pretty sure it's a chain driven rear end though. I could make that work,but I would like a more conventional setup.

30. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I have had alot of guys asking how I converted from computer to non compter. Here is what I did

When I decided to run a blower and carbs I called Pertronix for the distributor conversion, they told me they can do it for me and told me how much of my life savings I had to spend. Then he said you really dont need us. They told me I could save a shit ton of money by just buying 2 MSD boxes and your done.....

BMW built the motor as if it were 2 seperate inline 6's running 30deg apart. So they told me to treat it like it was two motors. There are two crank fire triggers on the motor. I think the later motors had them on the flywheel

One MSD for each crank trigger and one coil for each and your done.

I took it one step farther. I had a machine shop index the distributors. the 3 mounting holes I had the machine so I can advance them mechanically. Then I bought a retard controll for the MSD's and thats about it. I bought s MSD 6A Boxes but I am upgrading to the 6AL units.

My distrubitors are still at the machine shop so I cant send any photos yet, but I will when they come back.