Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody else a lone wolf out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Feb 4, 2021.

1. indyjps

indyjps

YES. Ive always kept a close group that I can ask for an hour or so of help on big stuff, and I return the favor. They are also experienced racers who have their own shit going.

I used to go to a lot of guys shops when I was learning and volunteer. I noticed esrly on, cars built by big groups standing around drinking beer - looked like it.

Most of the cars I built when I was young, were cars I was racing. I didnt trust too many other people to assemble them, when I was pushing the limits of the equipment.

Driver50x and loudbang like this.
  2. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

A sheep? Sounds baaa-aaaaad.

loudbang likes this.
  3. I am social, that’s why I joined here. I don’t belong to any club, but there are different shops I can hang out in - one meets on Mondays, one on Tuesdays. I am 10 to 20 years behind most of these guys and love to hear the early stories/lies/exaggerations/recollections . Some don’t say much- I bring my latest toy ,set of pictures or tool to stimulate discussion. One guy has a three question limit, so you don’t ask him how he’s doing, cause that is 1/3 of your quota. I have enough down time in other parts of my life.

LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  4. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Yeah...there aren't many hotrodders around where I am and my friends don't really understand 20210212_203908 (2).jpg

juan motime, loudbang and williebill like this.
  5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member.

bowlingball, rpm56, slim38 and 3 others like this.
  6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

juan motime and loudbang like this.
  7. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

It used to be everyone did a little tinkering on something ...all you had to do was find that common thread and you could talk for hours sometimes... whether it was your neighbor changing oil on his '74 Dart 4 dr., your doctor and his sailboat, or the guy at the hardware store working on his lawnmower you basically understood what they were doing and they had some appreciation of what you were working on...that pretty much dwindled away about 20 yrs. ago...no one I rub elbows with (or did before c19) has a clue they made cars way back before the '65 Mustnag or how to fix anything...so if I want to shoot the shit about cars I come here...it's the closest I've ever come to having a "car club"
    As for building cars I have to do mostly everything myself out of necessity...I was born a po'boy and life worked out that I pretty much stayed that way...but I've had all the "toys" regardless... house,boat, truck,camper, trailer, etc. etc. and lots and lots of ol junky cars that I had to do all the work on in order to use/enjoy...
    I'm a bit different than your average anti-social in that I don't have the leather jacket, loud fancy motorsickle, purple hair, nose ring, tattoo style that this TH lyric sums up...
    "Don't tell me that they're talking tough
    Don't tell me that they're anti-social
    Somehow not anti-social enough, alright"...:D:cool:

Driver50x, brando1956 and loudbang like this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Boy , does this sound familiar !

Nailhead A-V8 and loudbang like this.
  9. 59elcaminodave

59elcaminodave
    from Md.-De.

never really thought about it now I can see the pattern. my first jobs turning wrenches was maintenance & repair on industrial equipment so I was the one mechanic around to fix everything, all the other employees were machine operators & fork lift drivers or humps. back then I did it all my self, instant Lone Wolf I guess?
    later I had company vans & trucks w/ utility beds and was on my own after a short training period, so of coarse I did all my bikes & vehicles alone with the help of a few friends but I was doing a lot of there work.
    then I guess the ego kicked in which means SUPERMAN don't need no help.
    now SUPERMAN can't hardly walk & needs an extension magnet to pick things up from the floor some days.
    Then Lois ran off with Jimmy Olson (just joking Lois is in the recliner asleep)

All these years w/ no club some choice friends, I sure had a mess of pretty much trouble free toys & a bunch of fun!
    I am kinda proud of it all!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-3-7_3-22-41.png

Hello,

It started off with this Flathead powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. it was a cool teenage hot rod, went to a lot of surf movies, the local surf spots and for the first several years, with my friends from high school went surfing weekly. As we all left high school, those friends all went away to college and surfing was no longer done with my surfing friends from that time period.

So, my brother went on some trips, other people we met from Long Beach also tagged along to the good surf in the OC and San Diego. Only the top surfers decided to travel with us to Santa Barbara for a weekend surf adventure.

Now most of those teenage friends had jobs, other family obligations and schooling, so a day or two in a beach campground was not in the cards. Spending a week in baja Mexico was the best as it took away all of the trials and tribulations of the angst scene in those high school years.

From that time on, I worked on my own cars alone, went to surf spots by my self and when I met my wife in college, now we were the lone wolf couple to go to our own beach and road trips together. The extended families were still important, but our alone time was all we needed for our young 20 something lives.

Jnaki

As important as surfing and hot rods were to my own upbringing, there had to be extra time to intermix all activities to include my wife. If I decided to surf, it was when she was still sleeping and it was very early morning. It was always nice to see a happy face upon returning a few hours later. When a repair was necessary to one of our cars, including the 327 powered 2nd 40 sedan delivery, I did the repairs myself, but, making sure there was together time with my wife.
    upload_2021-3-7_3-23-29.png

The whole scene of being together was the key element in our lives, so everything else was built around that concept. It has lasted for all of these years since 1966 to the present. Being alone, but together was a concept not many could get behind. The friends we have, are still having social togetherness as a means to get by.

It is not a craving we ever had or do we plan on it for the future. It has always been most enjoyable to take our road trips together since 1966. That set the parameters of being alone, but together. At this stage of the game, being a couple has always been a single entity, and that is how it was and is still functioning, during this pandemic.

11. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm reminded of something Garrison Keillor said," Hang on to your old friends because there may come a day when there's no good reason for people to like you except out of habit."

12. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

I sell a variety of Lone Wolf art. I usually post on the Friday Art show. These are for sale for $50 each shipped to you in the USA. 12" plastic traffic signal lens hand painted by me with One Shot pinstriping paint. Gary IMG_1747.JPG IMG_1823.JPG

13. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Here is another version. Sorry about the glare. Gary BCE9AC3B-74DE-483D-901E-5F47EE1394DF.jpeg

14. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There's a club here called the Lone Wolves. I've never been too sure who's having the laugh!!

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  15. topher5150

topher5150

16. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

This threads hilarious! A bunch of us grown men that are lone rangers. I'm one of em. I'm honest but really like to mess with people so everyone around me usually hopes they are not my pick to mess with on a particular day because it ain't t gonna be good. :D. I work on all my stuff myself. Learn things by reading all the time. I'm straight up. I stay out of everyone's business. I can care less what everyone else is doing or not doing. Im not easily offended and quick to forgive. I love God, Family"well sometimes", and Texas. That's about it. Pandemic don't bother me. Its a great excuse to work on projects and hangout with my wife and kids at home. I like people just not crazy about people. That's what's great about the HAMB. We can read what we want and skip over the rest. Theres alot more of us than I thought. :)

17. topher5150

topher5150

I'm glad that our crippling loneliness brings you joy
    Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, slim38 and loudbang like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Well retired (the first time) at 43 sold everything I owned except 2 suitcases full of stuff and by myself moved to a country that I didn't speak the language, couldn't read their squiggly writing, and didn't know anyone. So yea I guess you could call me a lone wolf :)

19. Fred PV544

Fred PV544

Yeah man,
    know nobody that is into HotRods or motorcycling and am concidered to be a bit weird by the 99% i guess but what the heck. As long as they are not telling me what to do and see the positive weirdo doing just what the fuck he likes i am ok with them gazing a bit confused and amazed at my means of transportation :)
    A lucky bastard i am having the support of my family although they have no real attachment to my hobbies nor do i for theirs. They think it is important i do something what makes me happy and that is very much ok.

A happy man.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas

I don't like help working on stuff because I may set out to check the brakes and end up changing the shifter or fixing sockets on parking and tail lights that have been hanging on the wall for a car I don't even have yet.

loudbang and slim38 like this.
  21. getow

getow

Well. All in all, when its about facing the truth. Just dont be a jerk. Give more than you take. And do it, despite the fact that you really only like about 7 out of 500 people you meet.

22. ChryslerRodder

ChryslerRodder

Most of my life I've been a lone wolf. I've learned to treat everybody with equal contempt.

23. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I just enjoy my own company and a lot of junk to play with. Nobody around this area even knows what my shit is, let alone carry on a conversation about it. Tinkering with my old cars is what keeps me going.
    Just one old coot with a grouchy little dog. I love it.

24. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

The idea of a club of like minded folks, doing the same thing is where it started, and what it should be. There are a few clubs in the world that have a good mindset. But very few... Most are drunk clubs with a car problem. Or hard drugs....

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  25. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

26. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Just a car dude trying to get my ride on........my way with no opinions or suggestions or tool borrowers in my garage......very few have an open invite to my sessions. No lone wolf, lone grump maybe.

bowlingball and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Decided to post on this thread even though doing so is following the herd.

Frankie47 likes this.
  28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

A sheep in wolf's clothing?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Damn ungulates........moooo....lol.

30. There's truly one person you can count on and that is yourself, there's also only one person to blame when something gets f'd up.