Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody else a lone wolf out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Feb 4, 2021.

1. grumpy65

grumpy65

Wow, a whole bunch of abrasive, prickly personalities in one place. Feels like home.....:D

I once had a professor of psychiatry want to conduct a study on me regarding the origins and triggers of anti-social behaviour in middle-aged men. I told him to F#*K OFF....................

210superair, LAROKE, chiro and 13 others like this.
  2. I’m beginning to believe that there are no Optimists here. No Pessimists either. Just realists. Yup, it’s a glass of water, that has greasy fingerprints on it !
    You see it as it is and it quite often ain’t so pretty. So you leave as the Antisocial prick bastard that they like to call you.
    Couldn’t be further from the truth.

slim38, Flathead Dave, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was younger I hung out with a group of car guys, not a club just friends. The ones still alive are scattered across the country now, but we do stay in touch and get together maybe once a year or less for a car or motorcycle event. As far as working on the cars I do it all myself. I farm out the machine work, but other than that it's just me.

4. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I never seem to fit in to any club.
    My car is too old or too new or it somehow otherwise disqualifies me.
    That’s ok with me, I have to follow rules at work all day I don’t need my “friends” telling me I’m doing it wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Budget36

Budget36

When I was 16 I joined a club, all trucks. This was in ‘77. Great time going on runs and activities, being younger than most of the guys, I learned a lot. It was low pressure, only thing that was enforced was a safe truck. Head of the Club , his dad owned a station/ repair shop. So two weeks before we’d make a trek, every one would go to the shop and get your truck inspected. Most of us has straight axles, so king pins , bushings on the springs, etc. was a good time for sure. We never organized or tried to an event, but would go to many.
    What was cool back then we’d have club v club pitted against each other in volleyball, tugawar, etc.

We had a club house on the main cruise we hung out on the weekends. Once a month meetings for dues, and a line up of what was going on.

I’ve kept in touch with a few of the guys over the past 40+ years since, but seems clubs now a days are much different.

1933_willys_77 likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

“They” have a pill for that;)

hotrodjack33 and Peter Nowak like this.
  7. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I like people but they don’t like me, I am a lone wolf? Lol. I have always built my cars on my own. and as far going places and doing things with others, my car friends don’t have cars that run and my non car friends don’t understand the old car thing at all.

slim38 and little red 50 like this.
  8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I prefer working on my cars alone.

If people “help” me it’s never to my standards better or worse, or doesn’t fit my vision for the car. This is a good way to loose friends.

Most people just want to socialize. There’s a place for that but when I want to get a job done I want to work, not lean and chat.

A friend talked me in to putting his ot racecar in my garage and parking my wagon in his so we could work in his car over the winter. Every Tuesday he’d come by with beer and snacks and we’d drink and chat and i’d maybe do 20min of work on the car. Spring was coming and his car was nowhere near done. I started working on the car by myself Wednesday and we’d drink Tuesday. Car got done, still good friends. Great deal all around.

My dad bought an f100 thinking I’d help him fix it up. He needs people around him and won’t work without a buddy. I’d come over after dinner and we’d have to talk about his day, then we’d do a little work on the truck, then I’d have to “visit” with him and my mom. Soon he was upset that the truck wasn’t done. I said if you want me to come for a visit we don’t need an old truck for that. If you want to work on the truck let’s get to work and save the talking for another time.

papadaddio, impala4speed and alanp561 like this.
  9. trollst

trollst

What an interesting thread, and what a bunch, we are all anti social, and we all hang on the last word said here, we all know who the hero's of this un-club are and we all log in for more likes, huh?
    I've had 5 friends die this year, a couple I've written about here, never thought I needed them, but....what a hole they've left.
    Bob Skilling, master at seemingly everything, the guy who persuaded me to keep building when others had fun at my expense, made me a better builder. He won 2 1/2 million dollars three months before he died after being persuaded to buy a lottery ticket, something he never did before. Got a weird uncurable cancer and died quick. I miss him.

Frank McCabe, longtime body and fender man, worked for Brown Brothers ford for 50 years, could fix any body damage ever, rebuilt the fenders on my 36. Knew him 40 years, peach of a guy, I miss him. He got a urinary tract infection, got in his blood, killed him.

Gary Lennon, could build anything, literally, from scale model planes to drag cars, and fine hot rods, Franks boyhood friend till death, they started out to single mothers in the same boarding house when they were toddlers. When he learned of Frank's passing, he shut off the switch and also left. I miss him.

Tom Carlson, my lifelong buddy and confidant, diabetic, went to the hospital to have stents put in his legs so he wouldn't lose them, I taught him cars, he taught me to be better, didn't come home from the hospital, died xmas day, to say I'll miss him is an understatement.

John Russell, was just told a week ago he was found on his couch, 60 years old, like me, antisocial, grumpy, bike rider, careful who his friends were, had big retirement plans, never got there.

Me? Don't need nobody, learn shit on my own, cut my own path, offend people on a regular basis, always looking for a good fight, knock down drag out when I was younger, now a good argument is enough, never needed friends, and now....realising that the best friends I ever had have all left. I'm in a bit of a tailspin, nobody speaks my language anymore, and although I hate to admit it, I'm a little lost.
    Maybe I'm not the loner I thought I was..... LeRoy.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  10. It causes erectile dysfunction.

Budget36 likes this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

And cancer, blurry vision, etc. but....there is a pill;)

12. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Wow LeRoy, you got some dust or something in my eye.

Your post reminds me of how I felt and still feel about my loosing brother.
    It’s like a big empty hole right through you. You can try to fill it but nothing ever quite fits.

Right after my brother died I started building a car, it gave me something to keep my mind busy.
    A wise friend told me do something every day that makes you feel alive, and treat yourself well.
    Look after yourself.

13. I was in a car club and went to alot of shows, but I left the club and cut down on the shows about 10 years ago. One of the big reasons, there are alot of ill-mannered assholes that need their ego stroked. I don't have the time nor tolerance for that BS. The older I get the less I will suffer fools or jackasses. If you can't be a genuinely decent person, to have a beverage and a chat, then I will quickly grow tired of you.

Gotta56forme/Scott

14. I am also selectively social, but I would like to have some like-minded car people in my area but there are simply none.
    However I would never join a club. I have done that before but there were always some a&§holes that spoil the fun. I also hate obligations like "we had a meeting last week, you were not there" and shit like that.

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just too wonderful to be a Lone Wolf. Hot Rodders, young women, kids and pets seek me out just to spend quality time with me...and my fellow Car Club members absolutely love me. It would be a dis-service to society to deny any one of them my presence.
    And fortunately, you HAMBers get to spend quality time with me as well....you lucky bastards;)

16. 1952henry

1952henry

Solitarius lupus, or so the sticker on my hard hat says. Bid up to the dragline at work, other than the oiler, only have to deal with occasional equipment interlopers or foremen. If I have enough of the oiler chattering, I crank the radio to enjoy Classic Rewind on XM and pilot the old dirt whore as she relocates spoil. Free time is spent in my shop doing what I love. I guess 20 years of teaching made me want alone time.

warhorseracing likes this.
  17. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man, I wouldn't consider myself antisocial at all. I have lots of friends, just not car people. I know what they mean to me and appreciate them a great deal. My best friend was killed when I was 11, and I've lost a few since, so I was pretty in touch with death from a young age. So I feel what you're saying. However, all in all, I would still classify myself as a loner. I prefer to be alone when I can, I just always have been that way.

Also, I don't give two chits about likes, or who the most popular folks on here are. Never even thought to consider either...

18. In my younger years I tried the car club scene. I belonged to 3 different car clubs at different times because every time I joined one, it folded.
    Wonder if it was me......:confused:

lothiandon1940 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably;)

20. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

George Thorogood fan, huh?

21. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Oh Lord, It's Hard To Be Humble, When You're Perfect In Every Way!!" Mack Davis fan, huh?;)

22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I can't wait to look in the mirror
    Cause I get better looking each day
    To know me is to love me
    I must be one helluva man
    Oh Lord it's hard to be humble
    But I'm doin' the best that I can... ;) :D

23. I tried not liking people. That’s boring.
    Life is easy when you realize the majority of folks are screwed up like yourself.
    Honestly I like the fact that so many are antisocial. I find more parts by just talking with people. I don’t care what you show up in. The LS and tuner guys usually have cool old parts they don’t need or care for.
    And please stay off evil social media.
    The government is watching. But don’t worry, I will take one for the team and watch out for cool parts in those places.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    arkiehotrods and hotrodjack33 like this.
  24. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I've been asked, and encouraged, to join a club, but I probably never will. Why? RULES! In other words, people often forget why they formed a club in the first place-to have fun and be with people of similar interests. But there are rules. And someone has to be in charge. And so-and-so wants to go here and do that, but Joe Blow doesn't. I'm not surprised; there are 5 members in my immediately family, and it can be difficult to get all 5 of us to agree on one think, like where are we going for dinner. Bring in the extended family, and a hotel room looks pretty inviting. Age is a contributing factor as well. Many people refuse to go to church for the same reasons.

alanp561 likes this.
  26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We used to have our very own, "lone Wolf" here (that's how he spelled his handle), but he went and got himself banned. Me, I'm like my dogs, I like people, even though I tend to get taken advantage of due to my willingness to help. I joined an all volunteer/non-profit organization once that operated a drag strip; did that for four years, and basically learned that 10% of the people do 90% of the work. The rest are just in it for themselves. Here, I pick and chose the threads I want to respond to, or even read, and that can be easy or difficult sometimes.I guess I'm more of a "lonesome wolf"
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

WELL DANG!!!!! I MESSED UP, AND NOBODY CAUGHT IT; YOU GUYS, JUST LIKE ME, ARE SLIPPING. IT WAS'T "lone Wolf", BUT "old Wolf" THAT HE WENT BY. BUT, WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES; HIS WAS GETTING BANNED.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  27. Yep, pretty much due to losing buds at 17,19 and on and on. Tom was run off the road in his 1952 F1 with Mike living through it. Lost a few though my 20's I'm sure like some of you and then the next decade and next - lost two to the bottle because of their divorces that was not their fault. Tim's brother was doing his wife - so that wasn't cool - Eddie's wife left when he had two girls in diapers - she reappeared when the oldest was about to be a teen - his ex got custody just because she was a woman.....miss them all so much.....still have a few my age and older ones but they are not as able to do what I do - so I don't ask.

28. Ort

It's not that I don't like people
    It's just
    I feel better when there not around.

hotrodjack33 likes this.