Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody else a lone wolf out there??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikec4193, Feb 4, 2021.

1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess I am a "Lone Wolf" too, the only car shows I go to are in two towns where I will have the opportunity to visit with people I've known for years and seldom see, sort of a family/friends reunion. My neighbor is about the same, the only car show he goes to is the one at the VA in Omaha, he is a disabled vet and he does it for other disabled vets.

2. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I think people would describe me as being easy to approachable , friendly, easy to talk to. But when it comes to working on cars/projects I like work by myself preferably without interruptions.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  3. I work alone the same as when I drink, alone. You probably would not want to be around me due to my temperament and display of anti social behavior especially when I drink. I cannot envision myself going to a car show, opening the trunk, wiping down the car, sitting in my chair and watching people walk by looking with an occasional question that I would have to answer. When I go to a show, I walk through, look at what intrigues me, move on then leave. Sometimes I speak to people I know and will compliment on some cars.
    OffMyLawn.jpg
    Would you really want to spend time with me?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member. (Groucho):D

Legends47, r2c1, impala4speed and 4 others like this.
  5. das858

das858

I'm somewhat anti social around non car people , like traveling with a group of friends to and from car shows or drag races , but have never been in a club and probably never will .

loudbang likes this.
  6. Let me get this straight? You're telling everybody on the HAMB you're not a member of any group, but you've been a member of one of the biggest hotrod groups since 2007. Is it just me, or does anybody else spot the contradiction here?

7. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Will yall get the hell off my lawn !!!

8. birdman1

birdman1

THAT'S ME, LONE WOLF. I have outlived any good freinds(both of them), and I work alone in my shop. I think of the people I was fortunate enough to have shared in my life and do the car the way i want to. don't feel the need to satisfie anyone else.

loudbang likes this.
  9. All my still-living friends are not interested in old cars or mechanics in any shape or form. My last car buddy killed himself at 37, and that was 35 years ago. This is my hotrodding community, and I appreciate everyone on here for their knowledge, willingness to share and generosity. Yes, I suppose it is possible to have good friends who I've never met.

10. Well, one of the great things about the HAMB is you only read the posts and converse with the people you want to talk with. And you can turn it off, walk away or ignore what you want to at any time...:)

slim38, mnjeff, Bob Lowry and 11 others like this.
  11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The lack of face to face personal interaction here makes this place a loosely defined group I suppose . Its more a nameless ,faceless gathering in my opinion , makes it different than an in- person car club .Its somewhat like the difference between speaking to someone face to face vs over the phone vs texting , all are communicating , just less & less personally , you miss facial expression., body language & voice inflection the further you become separated electronically .

slim38, 56don, mgtstumpy and 3 others like this.
  12. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

I have always preferred to be alone. Especially when I drink.

13. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

Shouldn't you be out grinding and cutting on something, being all alone like instead of posting on a HUGE forum full of people.......

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  14. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I drink alone
    All by myself
    And when I drink alone
    I prefer to be my myself

LAROKE, jimmy six, blowby and 11 others like this.
  15. topher5150

topher5150

I'm defiantly a lone wolf and if it weren't for being married I would definitely be a hermit. I'm in my mid-30s and it really feels like I really don't matter too much to people so why waste my time trying.

16. Oh no I just found a group of people that understand me

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mnjeff, catdad49, mgtstumpy and 2 others like this.
  17. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I would if I could ...

18. Budget36

Budget36

Well shit, I hadn’t thought about it before.
    Now I’m depressed.
    Think I’ll go walk through the grocery store.

19. I used to have a thriving hot rod social life. Due to work and family that went away. I miss it....sometimes.......

hotrodjack33 and catdad49 like this.
  20. williebill

williebill

Wow, what a thread. I knew early in life that I didn't NEED a lot of friends, but only wanted real ones anyway. Most of my acquaintances know that I do something in the garage sometimes, and they might ask once in a while if I'm still working on whatever it is, but I won't let them see it. They don't understand anyway, why bother?
    I might have 5 real friends, maybe. Three are car type guys, but nobody helps each other. If I see what they're working on, always OT for here, it's a picture text. One of them lives 3000 miles away.
    I realized many years ago that while working on a bunch of slice and dice body welding, that IF I just had somebody hold this little piece while I tack it, it would take no more than 5 minutes to explain it to them, and get it done.
    Or I could make some kind of Rube Goldberg fixture to hold it for me, that I'd only use once, and would take me 4 hours or more to execute successfully.
    My garage floor is cluttered with those fixtures. I never ask for help anymore.
    But, then again, I am an asshole. A damn good one, too

LAROKE, mnjeff, impala4speed and 3 others like this.
  21. I keep my circle pretty small. I have not been called anti-social but it has been noted that I don't play well with others.

Anyway I don't belong to a car club. Sometimes when I am lucky I help someone else and sometimes when they are lucky they help me.

OK I lied, I am the official guy that the Pharos know. I like those guys.

catdad49, mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  22. v8flat44

v8flat44

Lone Wolf.....? Maybe. Not much for car shows. I love to get out on the back roads and"just cruise", run the snot out of it or drive to some small country berg.....sometimes alone. I do like people and appreciate all kinds of cars though.

mnjeff, papadaddio, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I tried the club thing once. Just so much petty bull*%$@.

24. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Car clubs , other people telling you what you should do......I.e. "We" want to have an event , you can organise it , do the leg work , spend your time & money & clean up afterwards , then we'll take credit for the event .....

papadaddio and gotta56forme like this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not against car clubs but am not antisocial in the least.
    When we were heavily involved in a car club we went to the events the club decided to go to, we stayed in the motel the club decided to stay in, we ate where club members decided to eat and even all stopped at the same gas station. Fun in some ways but a drag in others. You are always driving faster than you want to to keep up with the leader who is driving fast or poking along at a slower than comfortable rate because one member's car just can't do a highway speed pace. You buy gas at stations you don't normally go to brand wise because one member has a credit card for those stations. The motels you stay in are either overly expensive or cheap and a bit icky depending on who picks where you stay. You either stop and see a lot of interesting and maybe not so interesting things on the trip or blow past them without getting to stop depending on who is leading that day. At a multi day event you may end up eating at places were you normally wouldn't and don't care for the style of food because that is where the club is going that night.

For a number of years our rod trot trips in the 48 or the 51 Merc I used to have were more on the line of family vacation trips with a weekend at a rod run. Take several days and hit the event of choice and then hit a national park or other place that the family could have non car related family fun at. Stop where we wanted to stop, stay where we felt like staying and going at our own rate.

It's not that I wouldn't mind having a traveling buddy or two on road trips at times as two or three cars running together across country provides safety in numbers and is an adventure. I just am not up to traveling with a large group and doing what the large group decides that I am going to do anymore.

26. And that's why i didn't join my local car club right there.

27. Not really a joiner.
    have tried several times. Just does not work for me. I even had doubts about joining the HAMB Alliance.
    What I don’t like about groups is that there always seems to be some self appointed “keeper of the jewel” telling you how it is and how its done, so you better get in line. That really puts me off.

28. williebill

williebill

I was in a club for a few months back in the 70s. The president owned a little shop, and that's where the meetings were held. That usually meant that 15-20 guys stood around and listened to him talk. If you asked one of the members what he was working on, it usually was that guy waiting on the pres to either do it for him, or tell him what to do. Not many knew much of anything. That's OK, but waiting on the pres to tell these guys what to like and do seemed a bit weird. I used to drive my ratty, RUNNING 39 to meetings. Only one other guy ever drove his hotrod/street rod to meetings, a damn nice 34, in fact. Just us.
    Meetings looked like a bunch of puppies standing around, wearing club shirts and polyester, waiting to be told what to do and think.
    The pres wasn't a bad guy, actually. He just didn't need to be the Grand Mufti of all things cool.
    I decided I didn't like any of these guys. I'm sure most of them moved on to some other cool thing before too long.

Peter Nowak likes this.
  29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Billy Club - Behind the Seat - Check
    Golf Clubs - C'mon Seriously? - Bag Check
    Turkey Club - With Fries - Check
    Canadian Club - Checkeroonie
    Night Club - Check My ID and Check it off The List
    1000 Mile High Club - Affirmative, Roger That. - Pre Flight Check
    Men's Club - FAGS (Friday Afternoon Golf Society) - Check and re-check
    Gentlemen's Club - What Happens In Vegas... - Lap Dance Check
    Bourbon of the Month Club - The Gift That Keeps On Giving The Whole Year! - Check
    Key Club - Joined in H.S. After Watching an Adult Movie By The Same Name...Quit ASAP but - Check
    Car Club? - Meh

Ferdyeight and williebill like this.